Author Topic: Post your top 5 overlooked flicks!  (Read 68074 times)

brandyluck

Post your top 5 overlooked flicks!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2005, 08:21:04 PM »
My .02:
Funny Bones
The Loved One

wkruse50

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2005, 04:30:23 PM »
In no real order here are my top 5 overlooked flicks

(1999) Boondock Saints - rather gory, but quite provocative.

(2001) Donnie Darko - big cult following, really explores the human mind, and especially teenage angst.  Then throw in some of the other insanity, and it comes together as a great movie.

(2002)Equilibrium - Great movie, interesting view of the future, wonderful fight scenes.

(1997) Princess Mononoke - Great movie, albeit animated.  Explores the conflict between the natural and industrialization.  Weird ending, but interesting all the same.

(2000, 2003)Sci-fi Presentation of Dune and Children of Dune - One of the greatest adaptations from a book.  Though both are close to six hours long, the story is developed well.  Dune is done better that Chilldren of Dune, however Children is actually a combination  of Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.

wkruse

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2005, 07:51:28 PM »
Forgot to log on for the previous one, but thought of one that definitely an overlooked flick

(2002) He Loves Me...He Loves Me Not - One of the best movies I've seen, it will blow your mind.  But first you have to get through the first half of the movie.  Watch, it don't turn it off, it gets better.

Indigo

Another Addition
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2005, 11:15:39 AM »
Double Happiness...Independent Film hard to find but I think it gives a little taste of how hard it is for families to adapt to different cultures.  Especially when your children are more American than Chinese.

quitabandita

Re: top 5
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 11:36:23 AM »
Quote from: "spaceballstheflamethrower"
All right guys I'm going to go very modern here,(within the past 3 years)

5.Mr and Mrs Smith- Sam, your not crazy this a very good movie
4.The Matrix Revloutions-OK I'm a little bit of a Matrix fanboy but why all the hate?
3.Big Fish- This is by far my favorite Burton film and Ewan Mcgregor is great
2.The Matrix Reloaded- Maybe not underated at the time but now the popular thing to say is that the sequels sucked.  No that's just not the case.  Everything about this film is better than the original visuals, cast, plot, action, do I need to go on?  If you don't understand then your a dumbass. period.
1Ocean's Twelve- this film lives up to Oceans Eleven and then some.  I think it's some of the funniest acting.  Pitt and Clooney are great.  Don Cheadle out does himself again, and once again, if you didn't understand it and thats why you didnt like it, your a dumbass.

i so agree with you about the much reviled matrix sequals.  i also loved these with a passion, loved the combination of some pretty dense philosophy with awesome fights and effects.  i couldn't understand why they were so universally panned.  upon reading a lot of the reviews it seemed to me that people didn't really understand the philosophy or the story.  i also think these are movies you have to watch several times to really understand the nuances of.  i think their weakest link is the fact that trinity & neo's characters have zero sexual chemistry, however that didn't bother me that much.

SkylineFires

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2005, 01:12:40 AM »
I had to add All The Real Girls. A subtle, lovely, and well made film. Fantastic direction, music, and some great acting.

I highly recommend this film. Although Undertow was a bit off the grid, Green's first film George Washington was fine.
ndre is the best film since Robot Jox.

Keener

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 04:23:57 PM »
Even Dwarfs Started Small | Werner Herzog
The Last of England | Derek Jarman
Lifeboat | Alfred Hitchcock
Notre Musique | Jean-Luc Godard
Simon of the Desert | Luis Buñuel
 normal woman is hard to find.

Dan From New Haven

Underrated
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005, 08:54:52 AM »
Love the show guys, here is my cobbeled together list...It could also be entitled "Films you can only see on HBO or IFC after midnight"

After Hours (1985) - Criminally underrated Scorses flick.  It never gets mentioned when people talk Scorsese, but I think it's certainly up there with his best work.

The Ninth Gate (1999) - This pick may seem hard to justify, and may be a result of low expectations... but this is a way over the top Polanski film featuring a completely absurd plot, but I think it works on it's own terms.  There are some great scenes (particularly with the twin book dealers)... I may just be a sucker for rare book dealer films.

The Yards (2000) - This is certainly not a perfect film, but it does seem to be overlooked.  The plot is a bit cliched but it features some great performance and perhaps the best and most realistic fight scene ever filmed, between Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix falling down a flight os stairs.

The Pledge (2001) - Sean Penn directed this thriller/character study that contains the only Jack Nicholson performance of the last 20 years now that actually qualifies as a performance rather than Jack playing Jack.  This film also has a slewof great actors (Bencio Del Toro, Patricia Clarkson) in tiny roles.  It's the type of small, quiet, character driven film you almost never see.  It deserves to be seen.

25th Hour (2002) - It is quite bewildering that this film does not get more mention.  I think this is Lee's most interesting film since Do the Right Thing and is certainly Norton's best film (along with Fight Club).  I love how Lee gives his actors room to breathe... the film perfectly captures this post 9/11 sense malaise and refelction.  Highly Recommended.

Olli

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005, 03:17:45 PM »
Someone mentioned "The Arrival" earlier which reminded me of "Tremors" (1990) mainly because I discovered both during early morninngs trying to sleep and ending up really liking them and not sleeping at all.
Konnichiwa, bitches"

Sergiopl

I posted before but...
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 06:39:25 PM »
There are some that come to mind in no particular order:

The shipping news: Kevin Spacey as good as always.

Life as a house: Kevin Kline in a great performance and a young (and terrible) Hayden Christensen.

De Lovely: Kevin Kline again in a Cole Porter Biography.

love