love

Author Topic: Post your top 5 overlooked flicks!  (Read 68003 times)

Anonymous

Post your top 5 overlooked flicks!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 11:47:48 AM »
I'll agree on Kentucky Fried Movie. One of the funniest movies ever. I'd have to add Amazon Women on the Moon as a double feature with it, though. If you liked KFM, AWotM is in the same vein. Neither movie hits all its marks, but when they do, they're hysterical. And the opening sequence of AWotM is possibly the funniest thing that Arsenio Hall has ever done.

5. Dark City - No clue why this didn't get more attention when it came out. It was a great film and set the stage for a lot of films that came later.

4. Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins - I know it gets a lot of replay on TV, but it's vastly underrated.

3. Anything by Wem Wenders - The man is an underappreciated genius.

2. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension - This should have gotten more attention based on the cast alone: Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Ellen Barking, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd, and Clancy Brown, I mean, come on! It was a totally fun, campy romp through an intriguing world with interesting characters. Fun from beginning to end.

1. Miracle Mile - I first saw this because I was going through a Tangerine Dream phase, bought and loved the soundtrack, so figured I should probably see the film. It stars Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham. The plot is simple: A man answers a pay phone and the voice on the other end is from a soldier in a missle silo trying to reach his dad to warn him that a nuclear war has begun. The film starts out quietly enough, but the utter havok that is unleashed from this one simple phone call is amazing. Was the voice on the phone a prankster? Who do you tell and who would believe you? What if everyone DID believe you and you were wrong? Fantastic movie and one of my all time favorites. Bonus for the Star Trek fans: Denise Crosby makes an appearence as a main character.

samdu

• http://ronintech.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 11:57:26 AM »
crud. wasn't logged in when I posted that. ><
Character is what we are in the dark."

-Dr. Emilio Lizardo

Indigo

My Top 5 Missed Movies
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 10:17:14 AM »
There are others I could list, but off the top of my head these are some of my favorite movies that many people do not know about or have never watched.

1. But I'm a Cheerleader  (A comedy that makes a strong statement on the treatment of Homosexuals)

2. Run Lola Run (Foreign film with great soundtrack and visually interesting)

3. Boondock Saints (Violent but brings up moral issues.  Is it okay to kill the bad guys?)

4. Once Were Warriors (Drama, looking at family, and ancestors.  What happens when tragedy happens, do you fall apart or grow stronger?)

5. Gas Food Lodging (Romance and growth in a small town.  Also beautifully filmed)

ajfuchs

a few others with no common thread
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »
1. le doulos / jean-pierre melville (1962)
2. 25th hour / non-spike lee spike lee (2002)
3. people will talk/ j. mankiewicz (1951)
4. cluny brown / e. lubitsch (1946)
5. a night at the opera / s. wood/marx bros. (1935)

evildisneyguy

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 06:42:19 PM »
5) American Pop. An animated look at pop music and pop culture through the eyes of four generations from the turn of the century up to the punk rock movement of the late 70s-early 80s. An amazing film.

4) Kentucky Fried Movie. this movie has been mentioned a lot and I agree, its really over looked. The film has the best opening line in cinema history that creates exactly what type of film you are getting yourself into.

3) Phenomena (also known as Creepers). A young Jennifer Connely as a girl who has the power to control and communicate with insects suddenly thrusted into a murder mystery. A twisted concept that really works. Rent the unedited cut and not the american cut. It makes more sence.

2) Explorers. A fun 80s relic that gets overlooked a lot. Starring a young Ethan Hawk and gone too soon River Phoenix who gets messages in dreams from aliens on how to create a device to allow them to travel into outer space and meet the aliens.

1) Fatal Instinct. A wonderfully funny parody of the film noir genre starring people you would not imagine starring in a film like this. Famous for the scene where Armand Assanti dances in high heels for no reason. It works...still a big laugh to see The Mambo King dance in stilettos.
'm Disney, therefor I AM EVIL!

Anonymous

Over Looked Movies
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
In no particular order
1. Heavenly Creatures
2. Psycho Beach Party
3. Tully
4. Cherish
5. Pumpkin

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 02:31:03 PM »
test

Autodidact

Autodidact
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 09:31:26 AM »
5. Strange Days (Dir: Katherine Bigelow, starring Ralph Fiennes, Angela Bassett, Juliette Lewis)
4. Ball of Fire (Dir: Howard Hawks, starring Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper)
3. The Talk of the Town (Dir: George Stevens, starring Cary Grant, Ronald Coleman, Jean Arthur)
2. Dead Again (Dir: Kenneth Branagh, Starring Branagh, Emma Thompson, Derek Jacobi)
1. Oscar and Lucinda (Dir: Gillian Armstrong, starring Ralph Fiennes, Cate Blanchett)

Autodidact

Autodidact
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 10:07:10 AM »
hmm, five more come to mind:

5.  The Others
4.  Donnie Darko
3.  Truly, Madly, Deeply
2.  The Winter Sleepers
1.  Leon The Professional

Anonymous

Re: Overlooked flicks
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 05:17:14 PM »
Quote from: "DaverJ"

Arpie... good, and brave choices.  I agree with the ones I've seen and now I'm tempted to give the Bakshi "Rings" a try.  It will be hard to watch after Peter Jackson's masterpiece(s) though....

Don't bother: Bakshi's film is a total failure.  In attempting to cover it all in two hours, so much was cut from the script that it can't begin to represent the epic story.

Can't believe someone is recommending it:  even Bakshi has expressed his disappointment with it (or so I've heard).

love