Author Topic: Top 5 of 90s Television  (Read 1770 times)

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 of 90s Television
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:23 AM »
90's TV Series

The X-Files - totally holds up
Living Single
Twin Peaks
Freaks and Geeks
Homicide: Life on the Street

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:33 AM »
Mostly great
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997)
That one almost deserves an asterisk since season four didn't start till October 1999, and the first three seasons are less than mostly great.

YMMV, but the first one is actually my favorite season (just rewatched it again this year) and my overall ranking matches the season numbers, except for the last two.

goodguy

• Elite Member
  • Colleen West was here.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 06:29:08 AM »
Since smirnoff's original question was about what "holds up", I'm curious to know approximately when people last watched their selections.

EDIT: Per pixote's question: added [last watched/number of times].

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 06:38:55 AM »
Very good
Buffy (rewatched in the last 2-4 years)
Jonathon Creek (watched in the last 8 years)
Cowboy Bebop (watched about 15 years ago)

Would need a rewatch
Midsomer Murders
Inspector Morse
Drop the Dead Donkey
Good Guys, Bad Guys
Absolutely Fabulous
Cracker
The Vicar of Dibley
Quantam Leap
Babylon 5

I suspect the slower pacing of a lot of the British shows might not work as well, and of course the production budgets would not be as grand as they are today, still a good script is hard to knock
down.

I would like to watch all of Heimat 2, given how good the first one was.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
Since smirnoff's original question was about what "holds up", I'm curious to know approximately when people last watched their selections.

RKO 281 and Indictment: The McMartin Trial are Essentials and both have been watched twice in this decade. Ghostwatch I've seen three times in the last 10 years.

I will back up Midsomer Murders, which I discovered this decade, but the best BBC murder mysteries in the 90s come from Poirot. There are two Poirot movies from 1992, The ABC Murders and Death in the Clouds, which are the gateway to getting people into watching the entire series starring David Suchet.

I kept debating Into the Woods, which aired on American Playhouse in 1991. While it played on television, it's a filmed performance of the Broadway Musical and it was filmed in 1989.

There's a Series called Century of Cinema that ran from 1995 - 1998 that contains the Essential mini-series A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies (1995). The series also contains 100 Years of Japanese Cinema by Nagisa Oshima, A Personal History of British Cinema by Stephen Frears, 40,000 years of dreaming by George Miller and 2 x 50 Years of French Cinema with Michel Piccoli and Jean-Luc Godard. I have to mention the last one because of the description, "Godard asks why should cinema's birthday be celebrated when the history of film is a forgotten subject." Such contempt.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a great series, but unfortunately The Body and Once More With Feeling played during the next decade. That leaves "Hush" (1999) as the great standalone episode. (Other great ones like "Doppelgangland", "Passion" and "Becoming" require a familiar knowledge of the series.)