love

Author Topic: Top 5 Montages  (Read 3554 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: Top 5 Montages
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 03:08:20 PM »
I guess that my favorite montage is the Eurotrip in The Rules Of Attraction:

https://youtu.be/30yNlAHXVzQ

I also was reflecting a little upon the chicken chase in City Of God and the ringing phone scene in Once Upon A Time In America, but maybe they both play more like sequences than montages.

There were a few ones in Breaking Bad too, if my memory doesn't fail me totally.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 03:54:34 PM »
1. Days of Heaven - "She loves the farmer."
2. Three Colors: Blue - Final sequence
3. Groundhog Day - Suicides

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »
I guess that my favorite montage is the Eurotrip in The Rules Of Attraction

That was really something. Nice pick.

How about you, smirnoff. What montages do you love and which ones make you cringe?

There's a montage in A Few Good Men that I like. It has to do with how it's shot. It's from the outside of home of Cruise's character's home looking through a window, and the camera is pushing in slowly as we see the defence preparing different aspects of the case over a period of days. The characters are all very animated in that sequence. It's fun and well done and gets you from A to B. :)

There's a montage I like a lot in NARC as well. It's the two detectives just stopping people on the street to ask them if they know anything about the case. The picture morphs from split screen to 3-way to 4 way, and back. It's constantly morphing, and the audio is shifting focus from one screen to the next. It's hard to describe but it's a cool montage... especially when backed by Cliff Martinez's awesome score! In the special features they talk about how they just had Jason Patrick and Ray Liotta mic'd up and stopping real people on the street, while they shot it from a blacked out van down the street.

The Zoolander Orange Mocha Frappacino/Gas bar montage is a classic.

The Beach on the other hand has one of the worst montages ever. Leo DiCaprio runs through the jungle in some pixelated video game-like, drug fueled quest.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:26:15 AM by smirnoff »

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »
Couldn't Tom Cruise have his own Top 5 Montages?

I'm sure that's true. :) IIRC there's a montage in Edge of Tomorrow where we see Cruise die again and again in quick succession as he attempts to pull off something which requires perfect timing. It becomes quite comical.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »
The Rocky series is known for montages great and less so, but my favorite is the opening of Rocky III. Set to “Eye of the Tiger” it shows Rocky’s rise to riches and fame, contrasting it with Clubber Lang’s determination and hunger as he works to be the new heavyweight champ.

Watching it again, I was struck by the heavy use of overlapping images. Also some good split screen.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 01:25:30 PM by 1SO »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 11:19:54 PM »
1SO, whenever I think of montages, Rocky is the one to beat. I can still see much of it in my mind's eye and can hear the music. I may not have done all that training, but I had to run up the Philadelphia Museum of Art's steps anyway! I forgot about Rocky III's montage!

colonel_mexico, you remind me that I still need to see Eagle vs Shark! :D

2. Three Colors: Blue - Final sequence

<3

How about you, smirnoff. What montages do you love and which ones make you cringe?

There's a montage in A Few Good Men that I like. It has to do with how it's shot. It's from the outside of home of Cruise's character's home looking through a window, and the camera is pushing in slowly as we see the defence preparing different aspects of the case over a period of days. The characters are all very animated in that sequence. It's fun and well done and gets you from A to B. :

I couldn't find this one, but your description helps me recall the scene a little. Next time I see it, I'll watch for this montage.

There's a montage I like a lot in NARC as well. It's the two detectives just stopping people on the street to ask them if they know anything about the case. The picture morphs from split screen to 3-way to 4 way, and back. It's constantly morphing, and the audio is shifting focus from one screen to the next. It's hard to describe but it's a cool montage... especially when backed by Cliff Martinez's awesome score! In the special features they talk about how they just had Jason Patrick and Ray Liotta mic'd up and stopping real people on the street, while they shot it from a blacked out van down the street.

Found it! You described it well. I love background info like this. Makes the scene that much more intriguing!

The Zoolander Orange Mocha Frappacino/Gas bar montage is a classic.

:))

For sorting out those really important issues!

The Beach on the other hand has one of the worst montages ever. Leo DiCaprio runs through the jungle in some pixelated video game-like, drug fueled quest.

Eww! What was that?! Storyboard idea gone horribly wrong!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:36:53 PM by Sandy »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 01:11:13 PM »
The Rocky series is known for montages great and less so, but my favorite is the opening of Rocky III. Set to “Eye of the Tiger” it shows Rocky’s rise to riches and fame, contrasting it with Clubber Lang’s determination and hunger as he works to be the new heavyweight champ.

Watching it again, I was struck by the heavy use of overlapping images. Also some good split screen.

I was thinking of all the Rocky montages and III is my favorite as well.   Sure, the original is classic, but if I have to hear "Gunna Fly Now" one more time I'm going to puke.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
Oh, Swiss Army Man has a montage that I enjoyed. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F83A_jccTW4

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 08:20:53 PM »
Sure, the original is classic, but if I have to hear "Gunna Fly Now" one more time I'm going to puke.

It's a shame isn't it. Being such an iconic montage you kind of hear it to death, then the montage doesn't really have the same power. :-\