love

Author Topic: Top 100 Club: smirnoff  (Read 27347 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Top 100 Club: smirnoff
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 12:28:49 AM »
You did the math! :))

All my mind could eek out was, The bartender won't have anything to serve the other passengers when they wake up. :)

Adding oxygen and food is a great way to leave the spaceship for everyone. After reading your equations, I thought a possibility would be to leave instructions for the crew to delay waking up the passengers. They don't need two months to prepare for the planet. A month, or less should do it and that would increase everything twofold.

As for the spaceship. I find that a cruise ship gets pretty old, pretty fast, so I could imagine needing ways to bring meaning into a confined life. I look at my day to day life and it is peppered with routine. The majority of my days are not that adventurous, but they do have meaning. It's so much about intentions and attitude. Like you said, writing about their experience could bring a great deal to Aurora's life and gardening/creating something beautiful is another way. I keep thinking about a scene in Groundhog Day, where Phil is sitting in the diner with a book and is looking at the people around him. He'd been there hundreds, maybe a thousand times, but he had found serenity. He learned languages, expanded his mind and heart and found meaning in his limited existence.

Too bad they don't have a holodeck. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
Adding oxygen and food is a great way to leave the spaceship for everyone. After reading your equations, I thought a possibility would be to leave instructions for the crew to delay waking up the passengers. They don't need two months to prepare for the planet. A month, or less should do it and that would increase everything twofold.

That would be a great place to start the sequel. There would be this whole archaeological element to the setting. Waking up to a ship, who a couple had lived three quarters of their lives in, alone. I imagine that would be an interesting backdrop.

Too bad they don't have a holodeck. :)

I hope they exist for us one day. :)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
VR is getting closer and closer to a hollowdeck experience. Perhaps in our lifetime.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2019, 12:38:44 AM »
That would be a great place to start the sequel. There would be this whole archaeological element to the setting. Waking up to a ship, who a couple had lived three quarters of their lives in, alone. I imagine that would be an interesting backdrop.

I'd watch that. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2020, 01:49:18 PM »
Unless your new list kicks these off, I'll be watching:

Moneyball
Tim's Vermeer
Touching the Void

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
Looks like from that original list I only have Endless Summer II, Narc and Edmond left to see. Looks like the latter two are readily available to me (though only Endless Summer I).

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
I updated my Letterboxd list. Mentioning Edmond, Bondo, it looks like you've already discovered one of my few new entries.

The new entries for me are:
Career Girls
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Anatomy of a Murder
Edmond
The Untouchables

I've dropped:
Dark Horse
Rambo
The Descent
28 Days Later
and something else I can't remember.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Unless your new list kicks these off, I'll be watching:

Moneyball
Tim's Vermeer
Touching the Void

Quite a variety there. One feature's a magician, one features a Boney M song, and one features a this guy who was once in an episode of TNG. :))

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2020, 03:04:17 PM »
Looks like from that original list I only have Endless Summer II, Narc and Edmond left to see. Looks like the latter two are readily available to me (though only Endless Summer I).

Probably most curious to hear your reaction to Edmond of those three, but I must warn you it is kind of an unpleasant movie. Generally not the sort of movie or protagonist I'm into, but something about this movie made me come back to revisit it after many years, and when I did it captured my interest again.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2020, 10:03:54 PM »
Whoa, someone I know that likes Interstellar even more than I do! Yay!

So many different tastes at the top end of our film-viewing here. I think I'd always expected film buffs to have similar tastes, glad to see that has been proven wrong.

Technically, I'm watching Four Weddings and a Funeral for my own marathon, so I'm not counting it. Actually thinking about doing that tomorrow as a feel-good end to a feel-good week.

I commit to nothing, because it never works out quite as I like it, but in line for consideration:
Anatomy of a Murder
Winged Migration
Happy-Go-Lucky
Tremors (Have I seen it? I remember it being on when I was younger on cable, but I don't even know if it was the original, only know the premise, so it counts as a first viewing imo.)
Contagion (Last person who hasn't watched it during the pandemic.)
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire