Author Topic: Top 100 Club: smirnoff  (Read 27413 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Top 100 Club: smirnoff
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2020, 11:06:07 PM »
Unseen:

World War Z
Passengers
Spartan
Demolition Man
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Pirates of Silicon Valley
Labyrinth
Rounders
Detachment
Tremors (seen a lot of it on cable though)
A Late Quartet
Endless Summer II
Happy Gilmore
Career Girls
Pi
Perfect Sense
Edmond

Lots of interesting options here. Four Weddings is one I probably should have seen by now, and I bet my wife would watch it with me. Ditto Labyrinth, and maybe my boy could enjoy it too. Career Girls, Mike Leigh has directed some of my own favorites. However, I'm tempted to once again go with something I'd never choose on my own: Happy Gilmore. I have never seen one of Sandler's comedies, and I have a lot of preconceived notions about them that are probably unfair.

Undecided at the moment. Will have to see what's readily available.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:52:16 PM by MartinTeller »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2020, 11:23:39 PM »
Whoa, someone I know that likes Interstellar even more than I do! Yay!

So many different tastes at the top end of our film-viewing here. I think I'd always expected film buffs to have similar tastes, glad to see that has been proven wrong.

Technically, I'm watching Four Weddings and a Funeral for my own marathon, so I'm not counting it. Actually thinking about doing that tomorrow as a feel-good end to a feel-good week.

I commit to nothing, because it never works out quite as I like it, but in line for consideration:
Anatomy of a Murder
Winged Migration
Happy-Go-Lucky
Tremors (Have I seen it? I remember it being on when I was younger on cable, but I don't even know if it was the original, only know the premise, so it counts as a first viewing imo.)
Contagion (Last person who hasn't watched it during the pandemic.)

Winged Migration is not in my Top 100 but it could be.  Everybody should watch. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2020, 11:29:08 PM »
To get back in.. I will do Shawn of the Dead since I know I have access to it.  Others I will have to check
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2020, 11:45:17 PM »
Looks like I'm watching Room 237.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »
I commit to nothing, because it never works out quite as I like it, but in line for consideration:
Anatomy of a Murder
One of the few films on my list which I've only seen the one time (a couple years ago now). I must admit my memory of it is not so good anymore (which limits my ability to comment thoughtfully/deeply), but it made a strong enough impression that I kept it in consideration. When it came time to update my list I had a handful of films drop out due to rewatches/faded enthusiasm. To replace the void they left I went looking through my recent watched-list for viewings I was still enthusiastic about... which is how this made the list. Courtroom drama's are such a reliable genre. I think it's a safe strong choice for a at least a 7.5/10 or better.

Winged Migration
This is perfect for a night of wonder and awe, when you don't need plot but you still want an inspiring story. It's like Attenborough, Herzog and Koyaanisqatsi, all rolled into one melancholy French film. You can loose yourself in this one.

Happy-Go-Lucky
Curious if you've seen any other films from Mike Leigh? This film could open a cool new door for you to open... but keep in mind, it is among his least bleak films, so exploring his filmography further may not be a good fit for you at the moment. Nevertheless, I think this film is a great place to start, and/or finish. :)

Tremors (Have I seen it? I remember it being on when I was younger on cable, but I don't even know if it was the original, only know the premise, so it counts as a first viewing imo.)
It's not a film you hear mentioned so often, but when it comes up it always seem to bring on a small burst of positive comments. It's no mere nostalgia though, I assure you. This is a fun film that holds up just fine. I don't think I've heard a bad word uttered about this film on the forums. It's a crowd pleaser and doesn't overstay it's welcome at a breezy 93 minutes. It's a hoot.

Contagion (Last person who hasn't watched it during the pandemic.)
I too haven't watched it since the pandemic, but have seen it several times before then. I'm not sure what to say about it now that we're actually in a pandemic of our own. That it's accurate? Maybe it hits too close to reality to be enjoyed in the same way. God it's well done though. I recommend it if you're a fan Dark Knight, Interstellar, Inception... particularly for their editing/music and the general relentless pushing forward of the story. I find Soderburgh brings a similar feel to this film.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:37:29 PM by smirnoff »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »
Unseen:

World War Z
Bums will be clenched! I find it hard to get bored during this one since it really doesn't sit still once it gets going. And it's ambitions are big as zombie films go... daring to try and capture the event on a more global perspective where so many are limited to a city. It has surpassed 28 days later, Dawn of the Dead, and really all of the other zombie films for me. It's just better storytelling and doesn't lull like the other tend to. Dunno if it's a good fit for you or not... if you're looking at the cast don't let Jessica Chastain's presence lure you in to watching it, she's not a big part of the film really. There's reasons to watch the film, she's just not one of them.

Passengers
This one at least has some discussion around it on the forum. It's a difficult one because I think it gets into that unknowable territory of directorial intention. Is it an ethically suspect film that lets itself off the hook? Is it a neck deep script with an ankle deep presentation? I can see where those questions might arise, but if you can suspend judgement till the end, and maybe sit with it for a while... I dunno. I think its got a lot to ponder, and good bones. The concept is solid.

Spartan
Nobody ever seems to watch Spartan. It doesn't matter what I say. I think it's got great flavour. If you want an action film, but when you get on netflix and look at the action genre, and it makes you puke, then watch Spartan. David Mamet wrote this movie. They talk like David Mamet characters. If you like that, then watch Spartan.

Demolition Man
Like Tremors, I don't think anybody has a bad word to say about this movie. I hate to think of it as a cult classic or something. I don't think you need any history with this movie to have a fun time. :)

Four Weddings and a Funeral
As you say, a good one to watch with your wife! It's not a hard film to take... I often just put it on because I need something that's a comfort and familiar and good. But there is heart here... and warm friendships. And... I duuno... as much as it may have been the quintessential rom-com at the time it came out, in retrospect, and in light of all the mass-produced, direct-to-netflix garbage they pump out in the genre today, I realize what a gem this is. Modern rom-coms are so awful. AWFUL!

Pirates of Silicon Valley
In it's day I think this film was meant to be kind of bitter sweet. It concludes with "likable" Steve Jobs reduced to a mere artist with no real relevance while the evil, corporate, greedy, talentless Bill Gates sits unjustly in a position of success. But I kind of see it as the belligerent asshole getting deservedly squashed by a better person, so I enjoy the story. It's well presented though... the story parallels The Social Network... without Sorkin's writing of course, but still it's strong.

Labyrinth
I don't think they put this much effort into being creative anymore. This is like watching Spirited Away or Wizard of Oz or some other explosion of imagination.

Rounders
Nobody ever seems to come away liking this one as much as I want them too. Skip it! :P

Detachment
I don't see this film being something you'd like. I wonder if 1SO would agree with me.

Tremors (seen a lot of it on cable though)
Fortunately it's highly rewatchable!

A Late Quartet
This one has done fairly well in the past here with those who've tried it. I would recommend it to you and say it has a floor of 73/100 and a ceiling of 90/100.

Endless Summer II

Another one that doesn't really get the sort of enthusiasm from viewers that I hope for, so maybe a skip? Then again... it's unique and often quite beautiful and fun. It's got some wonderful moments and leaves you with pleasant feelings! If any particular hijinks are not doing it for you, just forward 30 seconds or so.

Happy Gilmore
Most Sandler comedies are not good. For some people Billy Madison is the Sandler comedy high point. I don't care for it... his character is not likable. I like Happy Gilmore and his goal of winning enough money to allow his grandma to keep his her home. I like that the comedy is not mean-spirited. It's just silly. Most of the time it's Sandler taking the hits. It kind of has the sweetness of a Farley bros comedy without the crudeness. Carl Weathers and Christopher Macdonald are so great in their roles. Many many other familiar faces are also really good. Worth a try! I would love to hear that you had a good laugh!

Career Girls
The ceiling is high on this one. Really high. But, i'd still say, go with what you're in the mood to actually watch.

Pi
You've seen just about every kind of film under the sun... so I can't say that you'll never have seen something like this. But then again... the execution here is really something. Subject matter may not be all that compelling to you... kind of a weird schizophrenic, conspiratorial thing. It's short though. 

Perfect Sense
I can put no floor on this. It could be a zero. I think you might not like it at all.

Edmond
Tough to recommend this to anyone. But I don't think it will be a zero. :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:48:09 PM by smirnoff »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2020, 03:52:52 PM »
To get back in.. I will do Shawn of the Dead since I know I have access to it.  Others I will have to check

I'm playing the movie in my head and smiling. I think you'll have a good time :))

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2020, 04:11:03 PM »
Looks like I'm watching Room 237.

*he said with a note of reticence*

If it all gets to be too much, I think it helps to imagine it not as a doc, but as a bunch of other film nerds like us, on a forum, having seen the shining, and sharing some fun and compelling theories. In an era of tweets and hot takes, it's nice to see so much effort put into a theory about a film. In Looper Bruce Willis didn't have time to make diagrams with straws and spend all day talking about time travel. Well this doc gets out ALL the straws.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »
That’s my reticence. Sometimes a carpet pattern is just a carpet pattern.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2020, 06:30:17 PM »
Anatomy of a Murder
It's not a film you hear mentioned so often, but when it comes up it always seem to bring on a small burst of positive comments. It's no mere nostalgia though, I assure you. This is a fun film that holds up just fine. I don't think I've heard a bad word uttered about this film on the forums. It's a crowd pleaser and doesn't overstay it's welcome at a breezy 93 minutes. It's a hoot.

Unsure of everyone's background here. Are you American, or ever lived here? Tremors is not too unknown here. Tremors and its sequels were once (and possibly still are) mainstays on like a Basic+ cable package, I feel like the Ted Turner networks had it on loop at one point. All of us who were aimless and inside on hot summer days in the 90's have seen at least a part of it. I actually can't think of a more cable-y feature. Sleepless in Seattle, or some such romcom? Maybe.

Thanks for all the hype on the features. I'm ready!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love