love

Author Topic: Joaquin Phoenix - An Examined Life  (Read 2469 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Joaquin Phoenix - An Examined Life
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »
I just watched the ending again. Amazing what a well placed mirror can create, framing wise. Side by side departures. :')

What a great idea for a marathon!  Following

Yay!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:40:20 PM by Sandy »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 12:00:56 AM »
Two Lovers

And there's a rose in a fisted glove…
Don’t be angry, don't be sad
And don't sit crying over good times you had
There's a girl right next to you
And she's just waiting for something to do
. - "Love The One You're With"

It’s kind of hard to hate this song, even though it feels so blasé about loyalty. The compelling tune and the pep talk chorus charm the moral police right out of you. The power of music! Watch out!

I used to think of the poor girl in the song who is far away, but the Two Lovers' story makes me worry for the “next to you girl.” How could she ever be enough to surpass the specter of a heart's desire? Is there a winner in this scenario, or does everyone lose?

The Graduate taught me to never trust compulsive declarations, for desperation as a decision maker, makes poor decisions... I’m just here playing with words, because the subject matter is scary and all too real and I don't know what to do with it... Okay. Loving someone out of obligation, or making do, or out of fear of being alone, is so sad. But, what is sadder, is that it’s probably more true than not. So why try at all? Did you see Phoenix's Leonard in the stairwell talking to his mom? He was beside himself with happiness. How can we not chase that feeling?

Observing Phoenix’s body language in that scene is a wonder. He uses the stairs to help contain his head so it won't fly up like a balloon. Or, when he's in the restaurant, his movements are so funny and perfectly awkward. Talk about not being comfortable in your own skin. Phoenix's body language is worth a trip through a movie all on its own and so is focusing just on his eyes. There’s just so much there and with only one time through, I'm hard pressed to catch it all. The director, James Grey said Phoenix was always asking him,  “What can I bring to it; what detail can I bring to it that makes it sing with life?”

And such a song he sings.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
I like your review much better than the film.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 11:23:31 PM »
I like your review much better than the film.

Thank you, old kid. :)