love

Author Topic: Tech Talk  (Read 8840 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Tech Talk
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:41:04 PM »
Let's talk about all things tech related!

I'm start off deep nerd with some Linux talk. I've been using Linux for about two and a half years now and I'm loving it. I haven't took the time to learn all the ins and outs but I can usually fix any problem I have. Only limitation is gaming. I went from a strand of Ubuntu over the Manjaro which seems pretty neat so far. Best thing about Linux is it's so easy for me to get it back up and running when something breaks with a fresh install and it generally runs faster than my Windows partition.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Tech Talk
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 12:12:28 AM »
Linux is like programming; I fail every time I try to learn it. I think it's mostly because in both cases I'm not learning it for any specific use. I'm just learning it for the heck of it. That's weak motivation. I always hit a point where I'm like "what's the point of this"... and there isn't one (Windows does everything I want) so I give up.

What made you get into using Linux?

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
I was getting tired of all the bloated Windows additions and the fact that there were so many forced updates. Also all the privacy invasions with Microsoft tracking all kinds of things. Plus, I like tinkering with stuff and Linux lets you manipulate basically everything.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »
I saw this on Reddit today. If you google search (movie title) site:drive.google.com you can often find movies hosted on people's google drives and stream them directly.

I mean... it's shady but it does actually work. I tried it with The Martian (which I already own) just out of curiosity and it worked. Can be handy for those instances where you want to see a certain scene or line or something, but the 2 or 3 or 12 streaming services you subscribe to don't have it.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 09:29:43 PM »
I saw this on Reddit today. If you google search (movie title) site:drive.google.com you can often find movies hosted on people's google drives and stream them directly.

I mean... it's shady but it does actually work. I tried it with The Martian (which I already own) just out of curiosity and it worked. Can be handy for those instances where you want to see a certain scene or line or something, but the 2 or 3 or 12 streaming services you subscribe to don't have it.

I just tried it with Ad Astra, lots of hits. The Applie (1998)? Not so much. Darn.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:07:07 PM »
The Apple (1998)? Not so much. Darn.

You mean this?
It's also on odnoklassniki, but either way you need to download subtitles on subscene for English.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:24:40 PM by 1SO »

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »
Yea, that seems super sketch. I'm assuming it only works if the person has shared the file publicly.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 12:51:18 AM »
The Apple (1998)? Not so much. Darn.

You mean this?
It's also on odnoklassniki, but either way you need to download subtitles on subscene for English.

1. You are amazing.
2. I have no idea how to go about downloading subtitles and applying them. (Help? This is definitely tech talk here.)
3. WTF is odnoklassniki? And who is its Russian handler?

And to go more squarely into tech talk, anyone here do VR? I use it a lot at the educational level, but am wondering if anyone utilizes it on a consumer/entertainment level.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 03:34:27 AM »
For subtitles you will need the video file, a video player like VLC player, and the SRT file for the subtitles.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 07:01:20 AM »
That’s it. It’s surprisingly simple and opens up a massive library of hard-to-find subtitled films.