Author Topic: Parasite  (Read 409 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Parasite
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »
Wow, I loved this movie.  And felt the social satire hit directly home, although I can see many people missing the real problem with the wealthy folks, how they are just as much “parasites” as the others.  Perhaps that’s why you wanted it to be more clear?  I prefer this approach— that just because you are ignorant, that isn’t an excuse.

I heard on /Filmcast someone complaining about the end of the film where the boy has a fantasy of making a lot of money and purchasing the house.  The commentator (Jeff?) said that it seemed too obvious, that there were so many better ways to even fantasize about a solution.  I think the final end displays the ultimate failure of our con-artist family.  The son was the planner, the schemer.  All of them acted, all of them improvised, but the intricate plans were the son’s invention.  He was the writer/director of every scene and was integral to the success of their plan.  What the final moments show is that he no longer had the ingenuity to make a plan any more.  All he could give is vague notions with absolutely no detail.  It is a “plan” destined to fail without even being tried, as opposed to his other plans in the film.  The end of the film is how the family has nothing left to build themselves back up.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

tamro-24

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 03:20:49 AM »
Social equality is impossible, it is harsh reality... And rich people are always blamed for poverty, also in this movie, so comfortable...
Yo llore porque no tenia zapatos hasta que vi un nino que no tenia pies

etdoesgood

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 10:33:55 PM »
Why would the film need to have the rich people be particularly bad in order to qualify as social satire ? They're oblivious and privileged, and that's much more effective for Bong's points, which are about society as a whole, not individuals. What you describe is exactly what makes it effective as social satire.
This really hits the nail on the head for me. I also think there is complexity within the three different clans of people that don't make for easy judgments, which is a strength of the film.

But the greatness of this film goes beyond its social observations. The shifts in mood and genre, the humor, the reveals, all that stuff mentioned in the top ten show was right on. All the way down to the solid thump the maid's head makes against the concrete after she's thrown down the steps. Amazing thump. As for a theater-going experience, I hadn't been that riveted by a film in at least a few years.

As for the title, aren't the basement-dwellers, at first the maid's husband, and later Kim Ki-taek the only actual parasites as they are the only ones feeding off the host without reciprocating any sort of benefit? I'm not sure exactly what difference that makes to the overall meaning of the film, maybe nothing, but it seems the other characters are giving and taking, although with a highly imbalanced power dynamic.
A desert person

Letterboxd: phxphilmphan

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
Chrissy Teigen tweeted that she really liked the movie. Left Twitter (basically Bernie stan types) attacked her because she is rich and thus must have been too dumb to realize she was the target of the film. It was quite a moment.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 01:56:37 AM »
Maybe they should just go attach the director himself for being too dumb to understand that he is the target of his own film... 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 06:11:36 AM »
Chrissy Teigen tweeted that she really liked the movie. Left Twitter (basically Bernie stan types) attacked her because she is rich and thus must have been too dumb to realize she was the target of the film. It was quite a moment.

I'm sorry if some Bernie supporters are cancel culture bullies but let's not make generalizations. You know the Alt-Left on twitter are just a minority toxic mob. There's only 400 replies on that post, Bernie has millions of supporters. Jeez.

That being said Parasite isn't about rich people being bad, it's about the disconnect between social classes and people unable to empathize with each other. People that are attacking Teigen are ironically in the same position as her, not realizing that the movie is critiquing them.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
Subsequent discussion was actually pretty enlightening.

One person said "it shows the differences between the upper class and the working class who work hard in hopes of a better life that they realistically will never see."

I responded "work hard certainly is one way to describe it" basically implying that being a con artist is not exactly my definition of working hard.

Eventually the response clarified to "they were admirable people who despite their horrible circumstances were able to con their way into a livable life, if only temporarily" and meanwhile the rich people were "all around legitimately bad people."

I think this gets at the fundamental reason the film isn't as powerful for me as it is for others. As a liberal I certainly am on board with an argument that capitalism is a troubled system that is rigged in many ways in favor of the rich. It is a system that also tends to operate by divide and conquer mentality, forcing the substantial bottom of the pyramid to battle each other for scraps. But the posture of this guy seems to be that as a result of this system, poor people actually are released from any moral trappings. One might justify their con of the rich family (they were ultimately providing the services requested even if they were dishonest about their qualifications) but how do you justify their getting the prior driver fired? Do you justify them exploiting a woman's allergies to get her fired? Is the ousted housekeeper and her husband justified in her own actions in return that culminate in so much damage/harm? Sorry, neither the ends, nor the lack of means, justify these means.

And in the same way that I don't consider the poor people in this particular story to be particularly admirable, I am not sure I see the rich family as legitimately bad people. I agree with you Beavermoose that it isn't about them being bad. They certainly have flaws, massive blindspots to their privilege (and the weird appropriation of Native American stereotypes), but I just don't see the basis to assert major moral failings on their part. The fact that people like these couple of people on Twitter took it in the incorrect direction they did is exactly the reason I thought the film missed in conveying its message.

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 07:46:43 PM »
The fact that people like these couple of people on Twitter took it in the incorrect direction they did is exactly the reason I thought the film missed in conveying its message.

I imagine the popularity of the movie which has allowed it to reach mainstream audiences has also allowed people who are less well versed in satire and cinema to see the film and interpret it on surface level only.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 01:39:20 AM »
I don't want to tell you why you did or didn't respond to this film Bondo, but one guy saying "rich people are bad, poor people are good and I like this movie" does not mean this is what the movie is. I think it's precisely what the film is not, and why it works for me. I think your reaction has more to do with the film's aesthetics than its politics, which seem very much aligned with your own from what I understand.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd