love

Author Topic: Top 10 Obscure Films  (Read 1801 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: Top 10 Obscure Films
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »
1. It's Love I'm After (1937) starring Bette Davis, Leslie Howard and Olivia De Havilland
2. Live From Baghdad (2002) starring Michael Keaton and Helena Bonham Carter
3. American Dream (1990) Barbara Kopple's follow-up to Harlan County USA
4. The Visit (1964) starring Ingrid Bergman and Anthony Quinn
5. Vanishing Act (1986) starring Elliott Gould, Margot Kidder and Fred Gwynne
6. The Underworld Story (1950) starring Dan Duryea
7. So Proudly We Hail (1943) starring Claudette Colbert, Paulette Goddard and Veronica Lake
8. The Shopworn Angel (1938) starring Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart and Walter Pidgeon
9. Room For One More (1952) starring Cary Grant
10. Malaya (1949) starring Spencer Tracy, James Stewart, Sydney Greenstreet and Lionel Barrymore

I have been meaning to see The Visit for years, need to finally do it.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 04:33:02 PM »
Long time no read zarodinu, welcome back.

I do like The Saddest Music in the World, the rest I have not seen (5 I have not heard of before).

Hey! Good to be back!

I am emerging from a horrible place and am getting back into cinema. Saddest Music in the World is such a magical piece of weirdness Maddin was amazing. My Winnipeg and Careful are two more pieces of bizarro magic. I haven't checked out any of his new stuff, will need to see if anything is worth a watch.

I heard of Lichter and Not Quite Holywood, I put Lichter on my watch list, will let you know how it was. I have to ask, Why Ring of Bright Water #1? Trailer was opposite of what I expected.

I am glad you have been able to emerge from the horrible place.

I fully agree with your comments on Saddest Music in the World.

Lichter is a depressing film in many ways as it concerns the plight of desperate people who in other circumstances would be good people. However that is not the way they behave.

Ring of Bright Water is in my top 10 because the only time I saw it (when I was about 10) left a strong memory. So while it may not be the best film, for me it is a strongly memorable one, so there it goes.

love