Author Topic: The Descent (Deep Secrets)  (Read 10492 times)

Rufish

Re: The Descent (Deep Secrets)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 04:34:04 PM »
I hear what you're saying about it turning into a monster movie for a large chunk of the story, and how that 'cheapens' the flick (for me, anyway)...but seeing it in theaters really enhanced the clostraphobic/desolate atmosphere, which is why I feel it still works even when it jumps into familiar horror-movie territory. I do really like the take on the plot you mentioned, and agree that it would have made it a better film had they explored that idea more...
I'm a Dapper Dan man.

J5er

• Elite Member
  • "I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away"
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:16:53 PM »
This movie creeped me out a little.  But call me insane, but I actually love The Grudge and The Ring and White Noise.  My brothers and I have fun with those cheesy American thriller/horror movies.  The Descent is way more intense than those other movies.  I didn't like it as much because it lacked the camp/unintentional humor of some of the other movies. 

But man, if I ever wanted to go down in a cave before this, I never will go near one now. :o
It's like I've waited my whole life, for this one night.  It's gon' be me you and the dance floor.  We've only got one night.  Double your pleasure, double your fun.  And dance forever.

My Box Office Podcast: www.theboxofficers.blogspot.com

Badgerfan

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
I just rewatched this on DVD after seeing it in the theater, and I disagree about the addition of the monsters from the earlier posts...

I think that the characters and their friendships were drawn out nicely early on, so you are vested in them, to varying degrees, so everything that happens matters.

Once the creatures come out, yes there are jump scares which can be cheap I'll grant you, but to me...they were an extra element that really played to the strength of the plot and what they were getting at-the relationships of the women.  The hyper extreme situation really brings to the surface all of the things good or bad that the women have between them and forces them to deal with them, exposes them, etc. in a more direct way than when they all sort of bury their demons and insecurities.  The dynamic of the group really shines and to me it is as important as the chasing/boo moments.

Also, in terms of the claustrophobia-which was pretty intense in the theater in the dark with the echoes-I think that the monsters heighten that as well, because, in the pitch black, where do you run???  And once you get there, are you going to be worse off than before?  Split second life saving decisions made in the dark while you are completely disoriented and hysterical...holy crap. 

It worked for me anyway...good stuff...and yes the original ending is better.  Movies like Seven prove that we can "handle" downbeat endings...or ambiguous endings...I hate having my decision of what I will or won't like made for me...ugh...

VmSoze

• Elite Member
  • I am The Christmas Spirit! :)
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 02:15:54 PM »
I liked The Descent, but, it was scarier before the monsters showed up.  Maybe it is just because I'm a little claustrophobic, but I had to turn the lights on and open the windows in my room once they got trapped in the cave... I thought that was the most intense part of the movie, but I didn't hate the monster stuff... oh, and yeah, the US ending blows.  I was so glad I had the unrated edition and I never had the movie ruined by that dreadful, stupid ending.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
Bumped for LOTR-sam0711

Here's my review
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 10:21:37 PM »
Any thoughts on Part 2?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

With fronds like these...

• I'm on Twitter...
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »
Neil Marshall was on Mark Kermode's UK show last week. He had nothing to do with the sequel. As I understand it the UK version is effectively the director's cut. With that ending there's no real scope for a sequel, especially one that relies on the American ending...

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
part 2 was ok at best. No where near the genius of part one.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
Yeah, I listened to that too. I've actually seen the second film and kind of agree with him, just wanted to hear some thoughts (kinda assumed more people would be checking this one out, I guess).
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Chicago At Night

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
Part 2 is actually not a complete loss; There a some genuinely creepy moments and Jon Harris displays some style as a director, but the film really plays like a compilation of best bits from the first film.

I wasn't expecting much from it, though. I mean, the ending of the first film didn't leave much room for a sequel.

When is it getting a cinematic release in the US? it seemed like the flick was tailored for the American market more than the British.