love

Author Topic: The Descent (Deep Secrets)  (Read 13547 times)

EddieBarzoon

• Too busy being a smart aleck to be thinkin'
The Descent (Deep Secrets)
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
Just saw this on DVD - well-crafted scary/gory thrills for the whole family. I read that the original UK release had a different (some said "better") ending than the US version. Can anyone confirm how the original ended?

(next stop, Spoil City)

In the version I saw, Sarah escapes the caverns alone, drives off in truck, almost gets creamed by a semi, sees Juno next to her, and realizes that she never really escaped, and is actually still trapped underground.

Is this how it went down for you?

Wilson

• Elite Member
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »
That's the UK ending, and the better ending.

From what I read, the US one ends when she sees Juno in the car and she screams with no indication of her still being in the cave.  It sounds all kind of rubbish, the original ending is great.

EddieBarzoon

• Too busy being a smart aleck to be thinkin'
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:39:03 AM »
Thanks, Wilson.

Wow, if that's the ending that US theatregoers saw it's no wonder this film was dismissed as more cheesy Grudge-like fare.

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 03:25:49 AM »
This is the first I've heard of differing endings. Hell, I liked the movie just fine with the US ending, but the UK one makes it an even BETTER film!
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

CAPTainJRacine

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 07:51:22 AM »
I never understood why the US film ended the way it did.  The UK ending makes so much more sense with the visions that Sarah has been seeing throughout the film, not to mention it gives a whole new meaning to the title of the film, which I think was the point all along..  I guess the producers felt that US audiences would prefer two things 1) A more positive ending where Sarah hasn't descended into madness and 2) The last shock scene which has become standard fare in horror films now-a-days.

The last shot of Sarah sitting around the fire thinking she's with her daughter with the roars of the creatures in the background is simply a perfect ending.

Rufish

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:53:58 PM »
No kidding - I saw the UK ending first and was completely satisfied. I caught the US one recently and was pretty peeved...

The US ending does nothing more than pander to the J-Horror movement of late.

To end in the cave with her and her daughter creates a perfect bookend for the movie's (and the title's) overall theme.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 04:48:19 PM by Rufish »
I'm a Dapper Dan man.

JoshuaOst

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:13:19 PM »
I liked the film until the introduction of the monster-like creatures.  After that it was just cheap scares that I could see in any horror film today.  They should have kept with the more psychological fears like chlostrophobia because that's what people are really afraid of.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

CAPTainJRacine

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 11:46:23 AM »
Quote from: "JoshuaOst"
I liked the film until the introduction of the monster-like creatures.  After that it was just cheap scares that I could see in any horror film today.  They should have kept with the more psychological fears like chlostrophobia because that's what people are really afraid of.

Personally I liked the monsters, and I appreciated the fact that the movie built up the tension using real world fears first, so that the time the monsters arrived, the viewer was already on the edge of their seat.  I also appreciated the fact that it wasn't only a monster film, but a film about the descent into madness, so although it has monsters and some cheap scares, the film (for me) was so much more than your average horror film.

Vinz Klortho

Re: The Descent (Deep Secrets)
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:56:09 PM »
I liked the movie well enough, but I think they made the monsters too wimpy. You can't have a proper movie monster that gets killed as easily as that. If those women had just stood in a good bottleneck, they apparently could have torn through the entire population.

Jordinho

Re: The Descent (Deep Secrets)
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »
I never got why people liked this movie. I had no intention of seeing it at all, and then it got good reviews from Rotten Tomatoes so I saw it. After I watched it though, it was exactly everything I thought it would be. It turns into more of a "run away or kill the monsters" kinda movie than an "overcome mental adversity or die" kinda movie.

I guess I just don't get it. I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently there's a theory that the monsters are a figment of Sarah's imagination, and that she, instead, is the one that actually kills her friends. It would be a cool element to add to this movie which then may add something interesting to it, but if that were the case why would there be almost no reference to it in the film? At least leave a mystery in people's minds so that they have a reason to re-watch the movie or think about it after they leave the theater. After I left the theater all I thought about was what caused critics to praise it.