Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 8529 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 10:29:03 PM »
I'm not missing the "laser swords" one little bit, though I'm a big fan of Westerns anyway.

The jetpack shot was cheesy - the angle in the closing credits was much better - but other than that another fine episode.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
I'm really loving the music of the show. The main theme they use for the show and end credits is great.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 04:43:37 PM »
Are there any women in the show yet?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2019, 08:34:30 PM »
Yes. Emily Swallow has played The Mandalorian Armorer in two episodes.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 12:13:33 AM »
This show has no real plot or character nuance so far. I love the tone but there's almost nothing here that couldn't have simply been a movie. Feels like butter scraped over too much bread.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2019, 12:52:16 AM »
The show has dropped me into a world with only my basic understanding of Star Wars logic to guide me. Rather than get lost in the weeds of exposition, it's building the world up as it moves through it.

Your comment got me thinking about the original series of Lone Wolf and Cub movies (which is a major source of inspiration.) It sets up a very basic revenge plot at the start, but that's really just a hook to get the samurai and the baby in his well-armed cart on their journey. Like The Fugitive's one-armed man, you know their paths won't cross again until the finale when it's inevitable that the revenge must be fulfilled. The Mandalorian manages to successfully ditch this hook, making the ultimate destination uncertain, and I'd call that an improvement.

The only hints so far are a vague flashback whenever armor is being created. I'm hoping this will be handled like the flashbacks in Once Upon a Time in America which ultimately explain their place right at the climactic moment.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2019, 01:25:34 AM »
I don't know if this is a stupid question but is it offensive or sexist for a show to not include a woman in a prominent or background role for some or all episodes? I haven't had a problem so far with the characters. I'm certainly not going to complain if they add one but I'm not complaining to start with either.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 02:01:25 AM »
It's interesting that the image used on Disney+ has The Mandalorian flanked by the bounty droid that died in Episode 1 and a woman we haven't met yet. So I think Disney marketing is aware of a possible issue, but I don't think it applies here because it's a world where gender is never a factor. There are genderless robots, creatures of unspecified gender - like Jawas, which are played by men and women - and groups like Mandalorians and Storm Troopers that never remove their helmet to be identified by gender. It's an especially absurd argument here when the Mandalorian with the 2nd most amount of lines is female and the gender of Baby Yoda is still unknown.

A friend of mine saw 1917 last night and said it's in his Top 5. The other films among his five are The Irishman, The Lighthouse, Joker and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I told him good luck defending that list and recommended he see Bombshell and Marriage Story before Ford v Ferrari. Of course this was said in jest because I know he didn't deliberately set out to create a Top 5 that have the perception of being anti-female. These just happen to be his 5 favorite movies.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 02:04:43 AM »
Something else to consider. Episode 2 has very few characters. There's The Mandalorian, Kuiil (performance by Misty Rosas, voice by Nick Nolte, 5 Jawas of mixed gender, Baby Yoda and the giant horned beast (gender unknown).

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2019, 06:25:10 AM »
The Mandalorian is kind of doing what the Skywalker Saga as a whole did (at least from what I can tell so far): stay by focusing intently on a very basic male protagonist, maybe branching out into female characters later. I think this shows a lack of trust in their audience to care about a non-male protagonist, but maybe the absurd backlash to the sequel series proves that this strategy is necessary, especially for the first big show on a new platform.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”