love

Author Topic: The Mandalorian  (Read 8530 times)

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
Re: The Mandalorian
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
I like the edginess of this series, even though the prison break episode didn't end with as many casualties as it probably should have.  But they aren't shying away from collateral killing and damage.  I've enjoyed every bit of this, even with some TV show-sloppiness/gimmicky-ness, in a lot of ways like Star Trek TNG was but still such a good show.

They are shying away from showing the killing though and I'm finding it very noticeable.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
In the first episode they showed someone getting cut in half, maybe it's tamed as they move forward?
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
Sticks the landing, which has become increasingly rare. (Avengers did it, and I hear Watchmen too.) Further evidence that Taika Waititi deserves consideration for Director of the Decade. (I know that sounds extreme, but look at what he's done these past 10 years. Pretty impressive.)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2019, 02:29:08 PM »
Sticks the landing, which has become increasingly rare. (Avengers did it, and I hear Watchmen too.) Further evidence that Taika Waititi deserves consideration for Director of the Decade. (I know that sounds extreme, but look at what he's done these past 10 years. Pretty impressive.)

Waititi is one of the best out there!  I really enjoyed the last episode and we got that violence of the beginning (stormtroopers generally fair poorly and the guys in the armory got it pretty bad). Did we see a lightsaber in there??
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
We saw a Darksaber. I don't know how much extra material you want to know about but it belonged to the only Mandalorian who was also a Jedi.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2019, 08:05:06 PM »
I’ve enjoyed the meta jokes in the show so far. Bill Burr taking the piss out of Gungans, making fun of how stormtroopers can’t aim and then this episode having the two scout troopers not being able to shoot straight either.

I think showing his face was the right decision. There’s no point building it up for seasons because it will never pay off satisfactory after that long.

The pile of Mandalorian armour in the sewer. Am I supposed to read that as they were all killed or they gave up and left or a bit of both?

This show wasn’t afraid to make choices. They killed Werner Herzog off like it was nothing and then Kuiil. I think that’s the right move so far.

I was a little iffy about Gina Carano being cast because she’s not really a great actor yet but she improved every episode.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2019, 08:50:50 PM »
I was a little iffy about Gina Carano being cast because she’s not really a great actor yet but she improved every episode.
Yes. I haven't followed her career, but what I have seen she's a presence at best. Here, she brings both a tough and a maternal side and has been a surprisingly great casting choice.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »
Further evidence that Taika Waititi deserves consideration for Director of the Decade.

Absolutely.  He's got the Midas touch right now.  I can't wait to see his next writing/directing/acting.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2020, 10:24:00 AM »
I got halfway through the first episode of season 2 and got bored. The show can't pick a lane and stick to it. It's western one second, fantasy the next, and then something more out of a Marvel film right after that. And those stupid pit droids. I feel grumpy watching this show so I think I'm not bothering anymore.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
I don't want it to pick a lane. It's a samurai film (Lone Wolf and Cub) in the Star Wars universe. I like it making its own lane.

love