Author Topic: Top 5 B Movies Since 2010  (Read 1870 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Top 5 B Movies Since 2010
« on: November 16, 2019, 07:38:46 PM »
However you chose to define B movies. I define them as trashy genre pics that have no right to be good.

5. 13 Assassins - I love these stupid old samurai chop em ups, they absolutely nailed it while injecting just a tiny bit of zany weirdness. Massive pools of blood. Amazing pic.

4. Bone Tomahawk - A no budget horror cowboy movie is the definition of trash cinema, but what elevates this is the loveable characters, everyone is just having a blast and Kurt Russel is perfect as the aging gruff sheriff.

3. Attack the Block - Aliens invade the ghetto. I do not think any other movie has captured the delicate balance of scares and zaniness of Gremlins and Tremors until this thing. Watched it three times, great soundtrack, and modern British is a linguistic wonder.

2. Hacksaw Ridge - A religious war movie from Mel Gibson. Sounds awful, but the direction, bloody action, acting, and sincerity of the whole thing sells it. I think this is as antiwar as you can get from Mel Gibson.

1. Mandy - Beautiful mixture of hallucinogenic imagery, Heavy Metal aesthetic, and Nicholas Cage doing his beautiful thing. A wonderful piece of cinema trash.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:40:16 PM by zarodinu »
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 B Movies Since 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:25:01 PM »
However you chose to define B movies. I define them as trashy genre pics that have no right to be good.

5. 13 Assassins - I love these stupid old samurai chop em ups, they absolutely nailed it while injecting just a tiny bit of zany weirdness. Massive pools of blood. Amazing pic.

4. Bone Tomahawk - A no budget horror cowboy movie is the definition of trash cinema, but what elevates this is the loveble characters, everyone is just having a blast and Kurt Russel is perfect as the aging gruff sheriff.

3. Attack the Block - Aliens invade the ghetto. I do not think any other movie has captured the delicate balance of scares and zaniness of Gremlins and Tremors until this thing. Watched it three times, great soundtrack, and modern British is a linguistic wonder.

2. Hacksaw Ridge - A religious war movie from Mel Gibson. Sounds awful, but the direction, bloody action, acting, and sincerity of the whole thing sells it. I think this is as antiwar as you can get from Mel Gibson.

1. Mandy - Beautiful mixture of hallucinogenic imagery, Heavy Metal aesthetic, and Nicholas Cage doing his beautiful thing. A wonderful piece of cinema trash.

I love BONE TOMAHAWK, I think I've added it to my top 100, those B movies are always a lot of fun.  Try OTIS or TURBO KID, also Netflix has this short called KUNG FURY that's fun
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:19:38 PM »
I think The Good, the Bad, and the Weird must fall into this category, well, expect I think it maybe before 2010 and had better then B-grade production value
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm taking Z's lead and being extremely flexible with my definition of B. :)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015): Though this fits the definition of B Movie better than anything, the result was so A Level it cancels itself out.

1. Drug War (2012): I'm not even a Johnnie To fan, but this pulpy police actioner was like a throwback to the great Hong Kong films of the 1990s.

2. Chronicle (2012): I haven't written off Josh Trank because of this well-cast combo of found footage, effective effects (on a budget) and confrontational bro politics.

3. Kill List (2011): Hitman thriller with horror movie secrets. Starts tightly wound and only gets harder to breathe from there.

4. Witching & Bitching (2013): Álex de la Iglesia is like Guillermo del Toro minus the art and with truly funny comedy. Opening with a bank robbery headed up by a guy dressed like Jesus and wielding a shotgun, the crazy never lets up. Still waiting for this to be discovered.

5. Predestination (2014): A science fiction thriller with some big secrets to spill. Manages to be both clever and dumb fun. Should've made Sarah Snook a major star.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 03:52:39 AM »
Love the choices of Attack the Block, Lockout, Chronicle, and Witching & Bitching

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
Excellent idea for a top 5.

Discounted for being too succesful/prestigious/whatever: Get Out, Mad Max: Fury Road, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Unsane

1. Atomic Blonde: Charlize Theron is a movie star. She has an insane presence, and she makes the shoddy plotting work, alongside with the great action choreography and the over-the-top but fun ate Cold War aesthetic.

2. Serbuan maut / The Raid: A very simple concept: cop stuck in a building filled with criminals has to try and survive to get out, with levels playing out video-game style. Again, the choreography is a huge part of why this works, but also the simplicity of its plot, which the bloated sequel lacks despite its even more impressive action scenes.

3. Green Room: This has been discussed quite a bit in the Filmspotting sphere, but it's a really visceral and fun B-movie without being too self-conscious. Plus, Patrick Stewart as a neo-nazi, what's not to love ?

4. Busanhaeng / Train to Busan: Again with the simple concept: guy tries to get back to his family via train in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. Very tense, uses its setting very effectively.

5. Deepwater Horizon: Surprisingly effective emotionally, and quite thrilling... again with a very distinctive setting, spot a trend ?

@1SO: I did not care at all for Predestination, but I agree re: Sarah Snook.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
I love BONE TOMAHAWK, I think I've added it to my top 100, those B movies are always a lot of fun.  Try OTIS or TURBO KID, also Netflix has this short called KUNG FURY that's fun

Yeah, glad I am not alone on Bone Tomahawk, I watched it twice already, it is one of those cases where even the stupidest idea is great if given the perfect execution, the actors are just having a blast.

Otis looks great.
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »
I don't have 5 right now, but one of them would definitely be the Evil Dead reboot. It's so good. 
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”