Author Topic: Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2012 edition)  (Read 5370 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (2012 edition)
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 11:30:55 AM »
No Kendrick? Wack.

Tbh I'd be surprised if he can ever make something a fraction as good as Control System. Kendrick is probably the second best artist on the TDE roster (maybe third), but the gap between him and Soul is pretty massive.

GKMC (good) > Section.80 (good) > Damn. (pretty good) > TPAB (literal garbage, not a single tolerable song on this project)

Not even sure if Kendrick would make the Top 30 of the decade with exclusively hip hop releases.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »
Joining in
Hey, nice marmot!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
No Kendrick? Wack.

Tbh I'd be surprised if he can ever make something a fraction as good as Control System. Kendrick is probably the second best artist on the TDE roster (maybe third), but the gap between him and Soul is pretty massive.

GKMC (good) > Section.80 (good) > Damn. (pretty good) > TPAB (literal garbage, not a single tolerable song on this project)

Not even sure if Kendrick would make the Top 30 of the decade with exclusively hip hop releases.
Kids these days have no respect for the great artistry of good hip hop.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2020, 02:11:35 AM »
No Kendrick? Wack.

Kids these days have no respect for the great artistry of good hip hop.
I'm tellin' ya. The man wins a Pulitzer and the FLYman spits in his face.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2020, 09:03:31 PM »
Another thing you might want to do Sandy is check out the albums on Wikipedia after you've listened to them. About two thirds of the way down the page for the album, they'll have the "professional ratings" chart. You'll see the hypocrisy that has haunted Rolling Stone magazine for years. They'll like the album now, but when it was released, there's a possibility it was panned by them.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 11:18:32 PM »
Another thing you might want to do Sandy is check out the albums on Wikipedia after you've listened to them. About two thirds of the way down the page for the album, they'll have the "professional ratings" chart. You'll see the hypocrisy that has haunted Rolling Stone magazine for years. They'll like the album now, but when it was released, there's a possibility it was panned by them.

:))

Thanks! I would enjoy seeing the discrepancy!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2023, 12:33:18 AM »
I was in Park City for a few days recently and had time to wander around the quiet town. Off season is a great time to visit. I must have been in a contemplative mood, because when I stopped at No Name Saloon for dinner and was washing my hands in the restroom, I heard the opening soft percussion of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and instantly teared up. The present disappeared, as I was transported back to when I first listened to The Joshua Tree album so many years ago.

I first heard U2 in college just as I was getting to know myself. They were the band who made me feel like I could become my own person. They continued to be a touchstone, even as my sense of self waned over the years.

The Joshua Tree is #27 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Albums list and I was very happy to see it there. Trying to pick my favorite song from this album has been a challenge, but I keep coming back to "With Or Without You." The refrain, "And you give yourself away" haunts me long after the song is over, so it gets my vote.

http://forum.filmspotting.net/index.php?topic=15051.msg903930#msg903930

Do you have a favorite song from this album and how do you decide?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2023, 02:55:25 AM »
The answer for favourite song should be Red Hill Mining Town

Managed to catch them in the last Joshua tree tour where the played the album from beginning to end prior to covid in Singapore
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2023, 05:23:51 AM »
With or Without You is in my regular karaoke rotation so that would get my backing.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »
I'd probably have to go with With or Without You too, but I want to give a shout-out to Trip Through Your Wires.

love