Author Topic: This Forum  (Read 32547 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: This Forum
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »
Yeah, works for me. The flipping is quite quick on my phone. Thanks for the heads up!
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »
Great work pixote. Biggest change I noticed was to the mobile version of the site.

I don't have a way of seeing if there's a new post in, say, the main Movie Talk or Marathons forum anymore on my phone. It's hard to tell where to look without just blind clicking. There are still the orange new post indicators on the subforums, but the main ones lack them (or some other indicator, like the changing icon on the left hand side in the desktop version).

Junior, don't you just use the "Show unread posts since last visit" option to see what has been happening?

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
I don't, I tried and I don't like it. But I accept that I'm broken and  happy to navigate the forum suboptimally.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
We are all broken in our own ways.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »
Here is a list of changes made as part of upgrade (aside from the whole keeping-the-forum-from-breaking thing):
  • Forum optimized for mobile view on default theme
  • Older, outdated themes removed
  • No more AIM, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, or IRQ icons cluttering up the Member List or member profiles
  • Cleaner installation of chat (also optimized for mobile view)
  • Embedding enabled for Spotify and Soundcloud (might be temporary)
  • The first truly miraculous bracket resurrections
I have a list of other clean-up and optimization items I'd like to get to in the not-too-distant future, if things allow — like enhancing search, hiding tinypic links, optimizing embedded videos for mobile, and cleaning up the member list.

By the way, we have no excuses now not to finish the brackets.  :)

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2020, 10:18:59 PM »
By the way, we have no excuses now not to finish the brackets.  :)

pixote
This comes up a lot and you know I like to help, but isn't it a problem with me that I've seen the remaining films so I'm just giving opinions that formed long ago?

At this point, can you give an idiot's update and tell us where our progress is on 1980s US Bracket, 1990s US Bracket (I think this one is done) and 1990s Far East Bracket?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »
Good idea. I’ll post something in the brackets board later this week.

I’ve been trying to think of a way to “finish” brackets — i.e., a way to wrap up the final rounds in a way that’s satisfying and not anticlimactic. I feel like once that’s figured out, brackets could be the best group projects ever.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2020, 10:50:52 PM »
Will cleaning up membership list be done in admin or is it something I can help with? I'd love to see that list tailored and spammer here.  Every 0 post account needs to go away plus older accounts that haven't been posted to in years.
Texan Down Under

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #218 on: September 14, 2020, 11:31:31 PM »
I think it's awesome, pix. I've navigated on my iPhone, pretty much only in Portrait because that's how I type, but also a bit in Landscape, and it's great. Like Dave, I use the "Show unread posts since last visit" option for navigation, and it's right where it should be. (It's the only way I've ever known how(?).) Very clean look.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2020, 12:17:58 AM »
Will cleaning up membership list be done in admin or is it something I can help with? I'd love to see that list tailored and spammer here.  Every 0 post account needs to go away plus older accounts that haven't been posted to in years.

It can actually be done in the backend with a single action. I just have to identify the parameters (e.g., has no posts, never voted in a poll, never returned to the forum after signing up, etc.).

pixote

love