love

Author Topic: This Forum  (Read 32543 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: This Forum
« Reply #220 on: September 15, 2020, 12:41:35 AM »
That's great! Trim it deeply. Lots of those names were there before the current spam filter was in use. 
Texan Down Under

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2020, 12:45:36 AM »
I feel like when pixote and saltine speak, their words should not be spoke among such peasants and other members of such small status/stature. On the D-Low, ya heard?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2020, 01:07:11 AM »
Careful, with just over 1700 posts you may not survive the culling.  ;D

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2020, 01:19:10 AM »
Don't say such things! I should get a posts-per-day-since-I-REALLY-joined count. That would surely save me.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #224 on: September 15, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »
I feel like when pixote and saltine speak, their words should not be spoke among such peasants and other members of such small status/stature. On the D-Low, ya heard?

Should you call me Sir having met such royalty?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2020, 01:42:54 PM »
Back when we were experiencing a 28-second delay for every page load (remember those awful days?), I disallowed search bots from crawling the forum and sapping our precious bodily fluids server memory. Unfortunately, Google took that as a hit that we didn't want to be listed in their search results anymore .... which robs us of a key resource to search the forum (especially since I haven't fix the native Search function here yet).

I've now updated things to allow search engine bots back in, with better instructions on which pages they should index. I've also asked Google to re-index this site, which will likely increase the number of Guest users online rather dramatically. But because we generally don't care about Guest users, I changed the default filter in Who's Online from Everyone to Members Only.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »
Will cleaning up membership list be done in admin or is it something I can help with? I'd love to see that list tailored and spammer here.  Every 0 post account needs to go away plus older accounts that haven't been posted to in years.

It can actually be done in the backend with a single action. I just have to identify the parameters (e.g., has no posts, never voted in a poll, never returned to the forum after signing up, etc.).

pixote

That's great! Trim it deeply. Lots of those names were there before the current spam filter was in use. 

This will be nice, as I don't think we even come close to the 7K total members actually participating in discussion.  ;)
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #227 on: September 16, 2020, 12:43:54 AM »
Does anyone use the Notify feature to get alerted by email of new posts? If so, is it still working for you?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #228 on: September 16, 2020, 12:57:06 AM »

Should you call me Sir having met such royalty?

Sir jdc has a certain ring to it...Sir J-Dizzle to the Cizzle fa-shizzle (words I'd never say out loud)...

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2020, 09:02:02 PM »
I'm getting a delay loading pages. There's no set amount of time. Sometimes it's just a few seconds and sometimes it's like the old problem has returned.

love