Author Topic: Help remembering a movie...  (Read 895 times)

danielmm

Help remembering a movie...
« on: November 06, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
This is going to sound dumb, but I've searched and searched and am desperate to try to figure out what movie I'm remembering...

The movie starts with an unrelated prologue with no dialogue where you see a family that seem to be members in an old-timey cult where the leader is prophesying about the second coming. So eventually the prophesied judgment day comes, and we see the family waiting up on their roof and, lo and behold, nothing happens. They all look disappointed and confused, but then we see the leader seeming to realize he made a mistake and calculate a new date for the second coming. So we see them wait again, and again be disappointed. And I think at this point we see people leaving and the cult fizzling out. I think the mom is the protagonist, and she holds out, possibly after her family leaves, but I think ultimately realizes she's been had.

Then the movie starts.

Of course, I have no idea what actual movie was about.

I vaguely thought it may be a Coen Brothers film because I'm thinking of the dybbuk scene at the beginning of A Serious Man, but I don't think that's right.

When I search Google, I get a lot of cult documentaries and Terminator II: Judgment Day.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Did I dream the whole thing?

Help me, fellow movie junkies--you're my only hope!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Help remembering a movie...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 01:30:01 PM »
I've seen this! You did not dream it.

But alas, I'm now stuck with you. I hope something jars my memory soon, so I can take us both out of our misery. :D

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 01:39:35 PM »
Found it!

It's from season 3 of The Leftovers.  :)

The Great Disappointment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vQgcxD9JWQ
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 02:15:18 PM by Sandy »

danielmm

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
Thank you, Sandy! I guess I won't lose my mind after all (or at least not because of this!) ;D

How'd you manage to find it? I'm truly very grateful and impressed (as, I'm sure, will be all the people I've asked and gotten wondering about this also).

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
First I want to say, Welcome, danielmm! Happy to see you here. We have a thread for introductions, if you'd like to tell us about yourself and how you found us. :)

http://forum.filmspotting.net/index.php?topic=527.4710

I love this little community, where I have found friendships and more information about film than I can ever fully process. Hope you find these things too.

Your description brought the scenes to my mind fully. Well done on the writing! I had to sit with it for a minute, so my mind could try and find the memory file for retrieval. :D

The Leftovers is probably the most powerful series I've ever watched. Those scenes just don't go with the usual narrative, so that's probably why I didn't remember right off. I'm guessing it's why you were stymied too.

love