love

Author Topic: Disney+  (Read 4814 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Disney+
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »
Tron

Gosh, this is bad. Technical whiz-bangery doesn't make up for the extremely boring storytelling and filmmaking (the process used to make the film look the way it does meant that they couldn't move the camera if people were in the shot, so everything feels inert). Bridges shows some flashes of charisma early on but once he gets transported to the computer world it sucks the life out of him. Only David Warner survives the translation to bits and bytes with any semblance of personality intact. The movie is perhaps most interesting in its conception of what AIs and computers can do, but the interior of the computer world is so weirdly conceived that it's hard to draw any coherent parallels between it and the structure of the real-life technology. That might have passed muster in 82 when nobody really knew what was going on inside a computer, but now it just feels arbitrary. End of line.

D+

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

This, on the other hand, is a major delight. Even more technically impressive than Tron, WFRR? goes the extra mile by having an involving and well-acted story to go along with the how'd-they-do-that stuff. Bob Hoskins gives the role all the hard boiling it needs to work, while still leaving room to get pretty darn goofy. But really, we're all here for the combo of cartoons and Chinatown, and as weird as that premise is, it totally works. I could gush about the fantastic animation and whatever corporate agreements needed to happen to get all the characters present in the film, but I kinda just want to go back and watch the movie again instead.

A+
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »
Is this your first time seeing Roger Rabbit or just a new appreciation of it? It's always been a favorite of mine, and over time that has only increased as the technology mostly holds up - it's a film I can appreciate knowing what went into making it while simply going along for the ride at the same time - and my rather recent appreciation of film noir. This isn't even connected to my increased Disney appreciation because the humor and style is much closer to Looney Tunes.

Pretty much with you on Tron. It's a great premise and a world I love to spend time in, but when they returned decades later with all the updated effects, it still fell to boring storytelling and poor filmmaking.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 02:04:51 PM »
On Ice (1935)
Something I really don't like about the early Disney shorts is how they abuse Pluto for laughs. In this one, Donald puts skates on sleeping Plutos paws and draws him onto the ice where the poor dog struggles for our amusement. Sure, Donald gets his in the end, but Pluto's misery must be one of those "outdated cultural depictions" Disney+ warns us about because I think this and many other Pluto shorts promote canine abuse as something to do for fun.

love