Author Topic: Top 100 Club: etdoesgood  (Read 18734 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: Top 100 Club: etdoesgood
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Just realized ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW is not available on Amazon Prime....could not find it...
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2020, 03:42:42 PM »
I wanted to do a more exhaustive rating but at this point I've seen like 50+ Iranian films, maybe closer to 75.

Certified Copy
Close-Up
A Taste of Cherry
Children of Heaven

A Separation
About Elly
The Wind Will Carry Us
3 Faces
Offside
Taxi

The Salesman
The Mirror
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
The Cow

Under the Shadow

Haven't seen Persepolis but I've read the graphic novel and it's okay. Also agree with MT that A Time for Drunken Horses is the worst Iranian film I've seen.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »
Joining in on the fun, I'm realizing I've only seen 9 Iranian films... I really would have thought it was more, probably because most of them are pretty great.

Taxi (jafar Panahi, 2015)
Jodaeiye Nader az Simin / A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
Tehran Taboo (Ali Soozandeh, 2017)
Se rokh / 3 Faces (Jafar Panahi, 2018)
Forushande / The Salesman (Asghar Farhadi, 2016)
Sonita (Rokhsareh Ghaemmaghami, 2015)
Ta'm e guilass / The Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)
Lerd / A Man of Integrity (Mohammad Rasoulof, 2017)
Nahid (Ida Panahandeh, 2015)

Tehran Taboo is questionably Iranian (German production), but undoubtedly about Iran, it's an animated film about people having to deal with laws on sexual matters, the main character being a prostitute. I don't know why it mostly went unnoticed, it was quite beautiful and poignant.

Sonita is a documentary about an Afghani rapper who fled to Iran and tried to make things work here. She's very endearing.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2020, 05:46:19 PM »
1SO, after these 12, I feel I have to see Where is the Friend's House? Not bc I question your taste, but it's just that one red film just hanging there. Hmmm...

It was in the red for me too, at the time I watched it. After seeing the rest of the trilogy, it went way up in my estimation. I'll be watching it a second time very soon, and the other two as well.

Is that the Koker trilogy you have mentioned?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2020, 05:47:33 PM »
I wanted to do a more exhaustive rating but at this point I've seen like 50+ Iranian films, maybe closer to 75.

Certified Copy
Close-Up
A Taste of Cherry
Children of Heaven

A Separation
About Elly
The Wind Will Carry Us
3 Faces
Offside
Taxi

The Salesman
The Mirror
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
The Cow

Under the Shadow

Haven't seen Persepolis but I've read the graphic novel and it's okay. Also agree with MT that A Time for Drunken Horses is the worst Iranian film I've seen.

Would love be to see the whole list at some point.

Tehran Taboo sounds cool, too, Teproc. I'll look into how I can see it.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
Just realized ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW is not available on Amazon Prime....could not find it...

Yeeeaaaah...I only see it on iTunes as far as the popular services and storefronts are concerned. We have it at the Phoenix library, only one copy for quite a big city. You might check yours, though, never know. It's on old-school Netflix, DVD.com. Criterion puts it out in April, not that's a lot of help, just sayin'.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2020, 10:29:58 PM »
1SO, after these 12, I feel I have to see Where is the Friend's House? Not bc I question your taste, but it's just that one red film just hanging there. Hmmm...

It was in the red for me too, at the time I watched it. After seeing the rest of the trilogy, it went way up in my estimation. I'll be watching it a second time very soon, and the other two as well.

Is that the Koker trilogy you have mentioned?

yes

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2020, 01:03:21 PM »

Yeeeaaaah...I only see it on iTunes as far as the popular services and storefronts are concerned. We have it at the Phoenix library, only one copy for quite a big city. You might check yours, though, never know. It's on old-school Netflix, DVD.com. Criterion puts it out in April, not that's a lot of help, just sayin'.

Ok, I'll keep looking and post in here when I can find a copy and watch, sorry about that...normally I check before I commit to watch a film for the club, not sure what I did here, I'll look the old school way.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2020, 06:15:01 PM »
Ok, time to. Start getting back here.  This gives me a good excuse to watch Shoplifters which I have been meaning to do. I really want to check out Little Feet but not sure where I can find it, was hoping YouTube since it is not quite a short but not a full movie. Will look around.

Like the discussion on cinima from Iran, the few that I have seen were I loved and need to add more.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2021, 10:51:51 PM »
Your turn is coming up, et... is this the list you're going with?

love