Author Topic: Oscars 2020: Who/What are you ROOTING for?  (Read 4023 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Oscars 2020: Who/What are you ROOTING for?
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2020, 05:55:30 AM »
The Oscars memorial section is bizarre. Kobe Bryant made the list WTF!!!!!!!!!, but not Luke Perry, or Sid Haig.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has less than 10,000 members, which leads to these odd exclusions of people who we know from show business for many years. Luke Perry was a member of the Screen Actors Guild, but because his work was mostly television, he was never invited to join the Academy. New members in 2019 include Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss, Letitia Wright, Claire Foy, Sterling K. Brown, Tom Holland, Gemma Chan, Will Poulter, Lady Gaga, Jonathan M. Chu, Gillian Flynn, Roman Coppola, Andrew Bujalski, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Like Tobe Hooper in 2017, the exclusion of Sid Haig (and Larry Cohen) reveal the Academy bias against admitting Horror/exploitation filmmakers as members.

I remember before editing was done digitally that because of the time it would take to put the montage together, the names would be limited to anyone who died during the calendar year. So a legend like Kirk Douglas would appear in next year's montage and everyone would be asking now about his exclusion.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2020, 07:26:09 PM »
Thinking about more rather than just reacting. I figure the academy had no choice but to put him in there. He had won an Oscar and he was not white, so if he had been left off the would have been a big outcry about forgetting him.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 08:31:55 PM »
Plus he was like bigger than LA, which is what propelled that Oscar to begin with, Kobe was basically a hometown hero.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2020, 01:36:39 AM »
The Oscars memorial section is bizarre. Kobe Bryant made the list WTF!!!!!!!!!, but not Luke Perry, or Sid Haig.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has less than 10,000 members, which leads to these odd exclusions of people who we know from show business for many years. Luke Perry was a member of the Screen Actors Guild, but because his work was mostly television, he was never invited to join the Academy. New members in 2019 include Winston Duke, Elisabeth Moss, Letitia Wright, Claire Foy, Sterling K. Brown, Tom Holland, Gemma Chan, Will Poulter, Lady Gaga, Jonathan M. Chu, Gillian Flynn, Roman Coppola, Andrew Bujalski, Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Like Tobe Hooper in 2017, the exclusion of Sid Haig (and Larry Cohen) reveal the Academy bias against admitting Horror/exploitation filmmakers as members.

I remember before editing was done digitally that because of the time it would take to put the montage together, the names would be limited to anyone who died during the calendar year. So a legend like Kirk Douglas would appear in next year's montage and everyone would be asking now about his exclusion.

Do you have to be invited into the Academy or can you just apply and maybe pay to get in?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »
Each candidate must receive the favorable endorsement of the appropriate Branch Executive Committee before his or her name is submitted to the Board of Governors for final approval.

love