love

Author Topic: Pandemic talk  (Read 33619 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Pandemic talk
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:18:46 PM »
I know the members here are young and may not be giving the pandemic threat a thought and that's fine as you are not in the death demographic. However, I would like to remind those of you who rely on medications that the scarcity of those is a real threat we should all be aware of. Just saying ...
Texan Down Under

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Pandemic talk
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
Agreed. I'm probably well outside of the threatened demographic, and the US hasn't been slammed by it yet, but how quickly and wide it has spread is super terrifying. And we're really just seeing the beginning of the fallout from it, though that's likely not even the right word since fallout implies it's on the downswing, which very much is not the case. Hoping the best for everyone!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »
Thanks, saltine. That is good advice.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 10:22:04 PM »
At this point I don't think I should be worried about my travel to Mexico and Arizona in the coming weeks, but travel generally feels a bit scarier right now. I'm just coming off a bad cold and I sit here reading the symptoms for Coronavirus and it basically has nothing that seems to distinguish it from a cold or annual flu. That all seems to spell chaos.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 10:49:45 PM »
As someone who lives in AZ...I think you're good. We've had one confirmed case. You'd have to have some preeeeettttyyyy bad luck.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
As someone who lives in AZ...I think you're good. We've had one confirmed case. You'd have to have some preeeeettttyyyy bad luck.

Good to know. I leave to head out that way in a few days.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
Sat in a very interesting meeting today in my role as student bar association president, plans in place in case the school has to shutdown, procedures for completing classes and taking finals...part of me wondered if this was overreaction or really proactive planning, still not sure which
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 11:47:32 PM »
I am a bit closer to it out here.  Having been in China at the end of January, I got barred from going to our work office for 2 weeks and had to work from home.  But it was not a complete quarantine like they are doing now. One Permanent Resident here has had it revoked and barred from Singapore after breaking the Quarantine rule last week.   But overall, I think they have it in control here pretty well, there has been 93 cases so far with 62 classified as recovered

I have 2 employees in Japan and 1 in Korea, they are all asked to work from home as we shut our office except for business critical items
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Smoke

• band website
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:18:17 AM »
Scary stuff, and kind of terrifying to think of how ill-equipped the US population is to handle it...a majority of people, or too many anyway, being one paycheck away from homelessness, with little or no sick time and many also have bad to non-existent insurance coverage. I know much of the world has it far worse, please forgive the myopia.

Movie-wise, I guess it's time for comfort food. Casablanca etc.?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 12:50:32 AM »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love