Author Topic: Pandemic talk  (Read 33633 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Pandemic talk
« Reply #300 on: May 13, 2020, 10:17:53 PM »
The only thing that keeps it from being an obvious yes is the stories about lingering organ issues they are seeing. So maybe better to try to ride it out until the vaccine.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2020, 01:14:09 AM »
I'm wondering if there are environmentalists out there with the take that we are killing the world with all the latex gloves being used at this time.

Anyway, I got my serology test done and it came back negative so I probably never had COVID and was just sick for weeks for...reasons. Allergies are a good bet. I do have often bad hay fever and this is my first spring in my new place that has a tree right outside. Maybe this is just my life now. And apparently medication-resistant allergies because I was on two different allergy medications the whole time.

Masks are obviously an environmental concern, yes. I don't think I've seen political figures argue that we shouldn't be using them right now, but there will be a point where the question has to be asked: they do generate a lot of waste when they're one-use.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #302 on: May 16, 2020, 01:20:20 AM »
 https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/american-pilot-jailed-for-breaching-stay-home-notice-to-buy-12727486

SINGAPORE: An American pilot working for Federal Express (FedEx) was jailed for four weeks on Wednesday (May 13) for breaching his stay-home notice to buy masks and a thermometer from Chinatown.

Brian Dugan Yeargan, 44, pleaded guilty to one count of breaching his stay order, which required him to stay in his hotel room for 14 days from Apr 3 to Apr 17.

They really don’t take it lightly. 
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
Wow, no action here for over a month. Well, shit is going CRAZY in the southwest. Maddow featured Phoenix, including the Latinx-dominated and low SES Maryvale neighborhood where I work, Yuma and its overcrowded hospital, near where I lived for nine years, and El Centro, CA, a hop, skip and jump away from Yuma. Of course, the prez was just in Phoenix, blaming higher rates of infection on higher rates of testing, despite the fact that we're getting higher rates of POSITIVE tests as well. Finally, our gov took the HUGE step  ::) of requiring people to cover their faces in public.

School starts in like 6 weeks? Our district is entertaining several different options; half days, alternating between A.M. and P.M. with some students who the capabilities of doing all their work at home not even showing up in person. Who knows? I'm starting at a new school with younger students, sooooo, it should be an adventure.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #304 on: June 24, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
I started a post but lost it when Chrome froze. We just exited our lockdown on Friday so it was the first time in almost 3 months that we could actually meet up with somebody outside our household.  I didn’t want to deal with the crowds rushing to go to restaurants so I just met a friend for a beer at our local hawker centre.  Tried to play tennis on Sat and Sunday but both were rained out. Did go to a friend’s house for a BBQ on Saturday.  We are not allowed to have a group more than 5 in public and more then 5 visitors to a household.  So a pretty chill start to most things opening. Clubs and entertainment bars are still closed but a lot of bars are open as they actually have a restaurant licences.  A few fights broke out on the first weekend, I Guess when you stop all alcohol sales by 10:30 people drink and get drunk too fast.

We are required to wear face masks 100% of the time outside of our home. You can remove when eating at a restaurant but need to wear it to walk to the bathroom.

I went to yoga class tonight, very controlled. Wear face mask to mat which is assigned.  A room that normally held 30 was sectioned off into 3 groups of 4. So only 12 mats. Within the group you had about 1.5 metre distance, between the groups was about 3 metres.  All props used (blocks) had to be bit in a bin so they could clean them and the room had exit in sections after you put on your mask.

Also got my first haircut in 4 months.  Still had to wear the facemask, so they been trained how to remove the band from around your ear but still hold the mask over your mouth while they trim.

Cases are down to a few each day in the general population but still a few hundred in the dorms that hours foreign workers. 

The Gov’t just called for the election 2 days ago, going to be held on 10 July.  Not much prep time, no rallies allowed and can’t gather in groups.  Opposition has no chance, it just depends can they manage to pick up more then the 6 seats they hold or not. 
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #305 on: June 24, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
We're at over 2,000 cases per day just in Arizona. This past Friday we hit a new state high at 3,200+. Unlike your opening, we got open pretty fast here, and the results are unsurprisingly catastrophic. It took our governor a long time to finally decide that face masks must be worn in public, but I don't know who's enforcing it, and while more people have them on, certainly not everyone.

Sounds like your government (Singapore, right? I forget) is being much more shrewd. While you make them sound a lot more authoritarian than the States, I don't think it's unreasonable to be taking the levels of caution that they are where you're at. Hearing the stories of how quickly some people go from admission in the hospital to death is chilling.

I think this is really testing our sense of morality. It's true that only a small proportion of people are getting infected and dying, but life as usual would obviously increase that exponentially, AND you start to talk about preventable deaths as being acceptable. I've seen too many comments on the internet resigned to the fact that "we all have to die some day." Easy to say if it's not you doing the dying, right?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #306 on: June 24, 2020, 06:52:23 PM »
Yes, Singapore.  They are a lot more authoritarian as well as people are also a lot more excepting to follow rules, especially for the greater good of society.  The US looks like a mess just out of being able to have a consistent message and example from the authorities. I certainly understand the need and want to get businesses open again and back to work but it should be done with rational rules.  But when the leader seems to be mocking taking proper precautions you start getting half or a quarter of the country treating masks like it is a violation of their constitutional rights. 

The protests creates another contradiction, how do you weigh the public health issue over the issue of social injustice. I thought their would be more coming from the science and public health sector to warn about it. Even NYC seems to not allow the contract tracers to ask if people tested positive were at a protest. It sort of defeats the purpose of trying to due contact tracing. 

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #307 on: June 24, 2020, 07:30:37 PM »
I agree, the central/federal government needs to take over at such times. Having 50 states doing their own things is a mess.

I didn't know that about testing protesters here. It's hard to warn against protesting when people of color have endured so much brutality and murder from the police. I didn't go and it really bothered me not to be there, but my dad is 65 with diabetes, and I would never be able to live with myself if I brought home a virus that killed him. I can understand why public health officials didn't want to touch it, but NYC not allowing contact tracers to proactively ask if people attended a protest is odd. Maybe, since the people at the protests are likely already wary of authority figures, they think they won't go to get tested if they're anticipating being asked about the protest.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2020, 08:56:23 PM »
I agree, the central/federal government needs to take over at such times. Having 50 states doing their own things is a mess.

I didn't know that about testing protesters here. It's hard to warn against protesting when people of color have endured so much brutality and murder from the police. I didn't go and it really bothered me not to be there, but my dad is 65 with diabetes, and I would never be able to live with myself if I brought home a virus that killed him. I can understand why public health officials didn't want to touch it, but NYC not allowing contact tracers to proactively ask if people attended a protest is odd. Maybe, since the people at the protests are likely already wary of authority figures, they think they won't go to get tested if they're anticipating being asked about the protest.

I understand the protests completely and they are raising issues that need to be addressed.  Timing sucks as two very serious problems are happening (well, one has always been happening) at the same time have have have Conflicting sttrategies.  But the data should be done consistently collected and not under consideration of excluding an activity that may sku being able to address handling of the virus.  I get the sense it is not out of fear that people won’t be tested as much as they don’t want to show data that would indicate the risks of protesting.
I have heard a few stories where they are outlining high risk activities that contributing to the rising of cars and when questioned on the Protests, the answer becomes, “there is little evidence to support”

I am not saying that they should stop

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Oh yeah, I hear what you're saying. It is for the best if we know how people are getting it.