love

Author Topic: Pandemic talk  (Read 33631 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Pandemic talk
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
They don’t exile anybody, they all get charged the same. The court doesn’t really have anything to do with throwing somebody out of the country, just determining the sentence/fine for the crime.  You just can’t stay if your right to work is taken away.

Though, it doesn’t really apply just to this situation but almost any crime.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »
It’s just a shame we can’t exile all our non-compliant people somewhere, because they’re Americans.

The Philippines have a LOT of uninhabited islands. Surely we can come up with a nice bit of foreign diplomacy to make use of some of them.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #362 on: October 15, 2020, 07:33:31 PM »
Nothing is out of Duterte’s reach, and he is not too friendly to work with the US
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #363 on: October 15, 2020, 11:56:10 PM »
I'm wondering what COVID-19 is looking for all of you at this time.

I got a great job in the entertainment industry in March that was truly the new start of my career after going back to school last year to pivot towards business/legal affairs.

I lost it two weeks in due to Covid.

I was massively depressed, extremely angry, and sunk into movies/video games/politics as an escape for the first few months (my activity on this site saw an uptick for better and worse). I slowly moved on and established a new unemployed work/life schedule. I ran an hour a day on the treadmill. I am currently working on several video projects that I started a few months ago and I hope to release by the end of the year. I also started a podcast with a friend I met in the now defunct comedy scene here in LA. These projects pulled me through to see the other side. Through it all, I applied for every job I could get my hands on. Last week I started my first job in seven months. It is not in the entertainment industry but it pays well, expands my resume quite a bit, and is located close close to where I live.

The biggest change is how I process time. It's a full-time job. Even though it's been seven months since I last worked a full-time job, it still took some getting used to which surprised me. The fact that it surprised me surprised me. Yet it's good to be back in the work force. I feel invigorated to get things done and I am happy when I complete a task. It's weird to feel that kind of brain chemical release as new again despite knowing it for the majority of my life and yet here we are.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
I know US and Europe is hitting new highs, most of are cases now are imported with a few community cases in the last 10 days. 

Travel restrictions are slowly starting to open up from countries that have seemed to be able to control the virus.  By the end of the Week, it looks like all of Australia and China added to the list along with Brunei, Vietnam and New Zealand that can travel to Singapore without quarantine for any purpose as long as they test negative.  Not that I believe many will start to travel, they still have to face the trouble of going home which will still be more restrictive.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #365 on: November 02, 2020, 03:27:47 AM »
My mom and I are planning a 40th birthday 28-day trip through the Nordic countries spring/summer 2022. I just hope we're good by THEN. Beyond that, I just want to visit my mom in Detroit and a few other family members in that vicinity.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2020, 07:10:38 AM »
My mom and I are planning a 40th birthday 28-day trip through the Nordic countries spring/summer 2022 [....]
I hope you'll stop by for a beer! :D
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2020, 11:01:41 PM »
My mom and I are planning a 40th birthday 28-day trip through the Nordic countries spring/summer 2022 [....]
I hope you'll stop by for a beer! :D

I will let you know the itinerary!

On the pandemic, I am going to pilot a gradual-return program/hybrid model for our school, 7 kids in a class at a time, tops (probably will be more like 4-5), and I'm getting a bigger classroom with running water to make it happen. We do not have any word on if students will even return in full force in January, I'm betting not, if we don't even get a hybrid model in place before then. Details aren't totally ironed-out yet, but soon. I'm pretty excited to see them, even though it still won't be the same since we'll always be separated with our masks and shields on. It will be A LOT easier to teach them and make sure they understand how to use online resources when they're not in the room, though.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:06:53 PM by etdoesgood »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #368 on: November 09, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »
Good news on the vaccine front today, hopefully can start deploying in the next month

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #369 on: November 24, 2020, 12:04:44 AM »
I've just been thinking about what will happen if the vaccine comes out and we get enough people to take it to go back to normal life. I certainly am down on humankind because of what it's doing to life on the planet, both human and non-human, even as I know I am part of the problem, but on the other hand, I feel like there is going to be some joy to be had once we can all intermingle once again.

I want to go to the movies (which I can do now, but it's not worth the risk), sing karaoke, and go to Bonus Round, which is an arcade bar with a good selection of microbrews and a variety of weird, fun, cool people. I also want to spend another month in Mexico learning Spanish and chillin' with the locals.

love