love

Author Topic: Pandemic talk  (Read 33594 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Pandemic talk
« Reply #180 on: March 26, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »
Nationalize that shit. Shareholders can eat the loss.

You are talking airlines? or in general?

Both kind of.

Of all things airlines are probably not a very practical thing to nationalize, but hell. Try it. :))

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »
I don't mind shareholders being washed out as part of a gov't rescue in most cases but not nationalization in almost any case.  But now the gov't mandated measures that are now mostly causing issues for individuals and businesses big and small.  Hopefully the measures are that long term and this gets in control similar to what China has done
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2020, 03:24:01 AM »
This is a new one, we are shutting entertainment (bars and theatres), but restaurant, coffee shops and hawker centers remain open... 

Just don't get too close to anybody

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/singapore-imposes-jail-and-fines-for-breaches-of-public-social-distancing.html

According to a press release from the Ministry of Health on Thursday, people who do not observe physical distancing of one meter in “non-transient” interactions can be fined up to 10,000 Singapore dollars ($6,985) or be jailed up to six months, or face both penalties.

Such interactions include people on seats not fixed to the floor, who intentionally sit less than one meter from another seated individual in a public place. People standing in a queue in public places who are less than one meter away from the next person, will also be prosecuted, according to the rules.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2020, 03:34:18 AM »
Seems like a little mixed messaging between keeping stuff open, but then penalizing people harshly for breaches of social distancing. Interesting stuff, but man.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2020, 06:54:56 AM »
Finally getting around to making a donation to a food bank (primarily to support undocumented individuals who are not served by government aid). As an atheist I figured I'd look to see if there was a secular food bank in my area. There isn't. I don't know if the role of religious institutions in food banks crowds out the creation of secular ones or if this says bad things about the secular community. OTOH, I suppose secular people are more likely to have my view that this is the government's role.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2020, 07:03:03 AM »
I'm an atheist as well, and I generally agree with you, it's the government's role. But in the here and now, that particular stance doesn't help undocumented people, and I know that people throughout West Phoenix rely on the packages they send out. There are people in our district taking the packages from the food bank and delivering them to less mobile families. Our families are in a food desert and taking public trans is like maybe a lesser form of Russian Roulette. Plus, that can be hard for a single mother of four to make happen. I'm guessing you have a decent sized undocumented population in the Denver area, and they'll take it however they can get it.

Religions organize around their churches and charities. Secular people organize around their government. I think we should strive for the day that religious charities are superfluous because the government by and for the people takes care of its people, but we're not there yet.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2020, 07:14:37 AM »
One of the great social questions, as the secular population increases, is what community structures will replace churches. The government can be great at providing the economic supports, but it is less clear that even in a best case scenario it would provide non-economic supports. Even though I have my own scars/resentments about the negative aspects of religion in society (though my own religious upbringing was a relatively moderate Lutheran one), I get envious of faith communities. I'd wager if I was capable of faith and had remained active in church, the chance that I'd still be single/childless would be much reduced. But I digress, this musing is more for the Religion thread than this one.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2020, 07:27:51 AM »
To lighten the mood and introduce one of the many humorous takes on COVID-19 that my wife has shown me.

Youtube

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
One of the great social questions, as the secular population increases, is what community structures will replace churches. The government can be great at providing the economic supports, but it is less clear that even in a best case scenario it would provide non-economic supports. Even though I have my own scars/resentments about the negative aspects of religion in society (though my own religious upbringing was a relatively moderate Lutheran one), I get envious of faith communities. I'd wager if I was capable of faith and had remained active in church, the chance that I'd still be single/childless would be much reduced. But I digress, this musing is more for the Religion thread than this one.
I remember discussing this with clovis years back. I believe one of the reasons churches excel at this where secular groups fail is that churches have an external calling outside of themselves to help those in need whereas the secular individual is mostly doing it from an internal calling.

Morally, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, and I'd love to see more secular ministries to those in need, I think those movements will be hard to solidify because there's not a unified, external reason to come together as secular groups are not collected and unified by a communal set of beliefs and values.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2020, 02:51:42 PM »
Keep staying safe everyone.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."