love

Author Topic: Pandemic talk  (Read 33614 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Pandemic talk
« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2020, 01:14:41 AM »
I used to live just north of Wrigley Field in Andersonville.
Ashland and Winnemac which nearly intersected Clark St right around there as well.
Hey, nice marmot!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2020, 01:20:26 AM »
My dad lived on a road just parallel to Halstead, just a bit south of Wrigley Field. It was a super short walk from all the bars in that part of town. It was the perfect place for him post-coming out, he made tons of lifelong friends and felt safe.

Later on, he moved into a condo at Belmont and Lake Shore Dr. with his partner. By far the most luxurious life any of us have known.

All this is making me a little nostalgic!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2020, 01:25:45 AM »
I am very familiar with Boystown and it’s surrounding area (and nightlife) - I was a fixture there in the late 90’s and early 00’s with my group.
I did love my life back then.
Hey, nice marmot!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2020, 08:27:44 AM »
You went to Evanston for record stores? When right there in the area you had Wax Trax, Reckless Records, and 2nd Hand Tunes? Oh, the countless hours (and dollars) I spent in those places.

I grew up in Hyde Park but my dad moved to an apartment on Briar (just one block south of Belmont) and Lake Shore Drive in the mid-90's. Who knows, maybe our dads crossed paths all the time.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
Omg so many great record stores in the city back then.
I loved Gramaphone Records myself.
Hey, nice marmot!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2020, 11:34:06 AM »
Omg so many great record stores in the city back then.
I loved Gramaphone Records myself.

Yes! Gramaphone was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUoLrS5tjc

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #336 on: July 31, 2020, 03:06:12 AM »
You went to Evanston for record stores? When right there in the area you had Wax Trax, Reckless Records, and 2nd Hand Tunes? Oh, the countless hours (and dollars) I spent in those places.

I grew up in Hyde Park but my dad moved to an apartment on Briar (just one block south of Belmont) and Lake Shore Drive in the mid-90's. Who knows, maybe our dads crossed paths all the time.

There was actually a Reckless well within walking distance from my dad's first place in Chicago. But there were a couple cool used stores in Evanston, and like I said, I had a thing for that theater. Would hang out in that cool ass bar drink, watch a movie, drink, watch a movie, I didn't care if I ever left. That was one of the early places I could see Once, as well as the place I saw my first Satoshi Kon (Paprika). I was just out of college then, so I still dug the scene and the vibe. Otherwise, all I had to do was go out and walk to enjoy all Lakeview and Boystown plus Wrigleyviile had to offer.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2020, 03:09:55 AM »

My dad was there in the early aughts, up to 08 actually, that's when he first moved out here with me. Divorce in 98, then to Lakewood, Ohio, then Northern VA, then finally Chicago. I went there for every major break from my first teaching job and just took it all in. Only bummer is how damn expensive it is to live there, and I'm not a big suburb guy. It may be my favorite best city not named Phoenix. (I rep Phoenix, I love it. It's cooking me alive right now, but I love it.)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #338 on: July 31, 2020, 05:06:17 AM »
Lakewood OH?!?

I was raised in Cleveland, Brook Park actually - Smith Rd about 100 yds south of Brook Park Rd right on the border of Cleveland.
Hey, nice marmot!

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #339 on: July 31, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »
Took my first test. I have chronic symptoms that all appeared as Corona symptoms (but what's NOT a Corona symptom at this point?). Sore throat wasn't a symptom until last month...?

Finding out by Monday. Fingers crossed.