love

Author Topic: NFL  (Read 13359 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
NFL
« on: March 20, 2020, 01:48:31 AM »
Don't know if anyone on here is a fan. I have fully adopted the desert as home and all its teams with it, and right now the Cardinals are winning the offseason BIG TIME. Sports are one of those things that can get me high when the game is being played or when it's not, and this is one of those times because WE GOT DEANDRE HOPKINS! Our basketball Deandre is starting to live up to his billing and now we have the NFL's best DeAndre, one of the top 2 (with Michael Thomas) wide receivers in the NFL right now in his prime for Kyler to throw the rock to, and I'm loving it! Can't wait to bring some of THIS to the valley:
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: NFL
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 06:52:16 PM »
CINECAST! the NFL, and CINECAST! Bill O'Brien.

And also CINECAST! the Patriots for blocking that one guy from interviewing for the gd GM spot so we wouldn't be in this CINECAST!ing mess.

The DeAndre Way is most definitely the best WR in the NFL, Thomas is just a stat gobbler. It's similar to the age old debate of who was better between Andre Johnson and Larry Fitz. The answer, very clearly, is Andre when they're both in their prime. Fitz just has the longer career.

CINECAST! the Saints and CINECAST! Michael Thomas too. Of course that bozo has his best year when I opt for Juilooooooo over him, and Drew didn't even benefit because he was hurt most of the season! Are you kidding me? My team was so good, and they just kept getting more and more hurt. At least I consistently made enough money to more than cover my entry fees by taking player props that bet against my fantasy team once I saw The Writing On The Wall, as it were.

Do hope that Tommy B both crushes it in TB, simultaneously crushing NO, and also wins the Super Bowl.

>:(

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 11:14:00 PM »
Oh FLY, where do I start?

Obviously disagree with you on Fitz, the most reliable target in NFL history not named Jerry Rice. And he did it with a rather subpar organization, much as they are my organization. And at peak ability, he was just as much of a freak as Andre Johnson. His highlight real is nice.

Peak Calvin Johnson is better than both Fitz and Andre Johnson, but I won't consider him above Fitz because I think longevity and dependability matter. Actually, Megatron is probably the best receiver to play the game just in terms of his ability at his peak. But he accomplished nothing besides some high-state years and bowed out early. I'm originally from Michigan and suffered a while with the Lions (before suffering with the Cardinals) so I had a front-row seat, so to speak. (Can't blame him for bowing out early, but again, I think it matters to his legacy.)

Michael Thomas is a physical freak. He benefits from a great offensive scheme, but that doesn't diminish his overall ability + insane numbers.

I played three fantasy leagues last year, went to three championships, lost all three. Ugh. Took home some money, though, of course. What could have been, though.

Brady on the Bucs is going to be as weird as seeing Montana play for the Chiefs. Don't know where he currently stands on Trump, but I grew up a Michigan State fan, so, like, CINECAST! Tom Brady. Still think he's the GOAT, though.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 11:38:14 PM »
The thing with both Andre and DeAndre is that they not only did/can do it with anyone throwing them the ball, both had pretty not great QBs with the exception of Watson (who isn't a perfect passer, but it's who we have and he's easily the best QB in franchise history at this point, so I'm on board with him), and had no legitimate WR2 drawing coverage from them. I can get a case for Calvin in that sense, but both the Lions and the Cards were pass first teams a lot of the time. Arizona did make more attempts to get away from that, though not to a ton of success, Detroit very little, while Houston has been able to establish either a run first attack or a balanced attack at worst. For Andre to do what he did with Dominick Davis/Steve Slaton both playing really well (benefited by Kubiak's run scheme) and Arian playing at an insane level is remarkable, especially considering who he had throwing to him a lot of the time.

When Fuller plays that helps DeAndre a ton, but I also figure that DeAndre helps Fuller a ton in a very similar way. AJ though, he had nothing around him his entire career, which makes it even more impressive to me.

Obviously they are all great, but if Andre had someone like Boldin to open up the field for him I figure his numbers would be even more nuts. Just so much wasted opportunity with the Texans. Can't ever seem to put everything together in a single season, and apparently seem to be getting farther and farther away from doing that in what is still, largely, a very vulnerable division (if maybe a bit underrated, though that assumes a healthy Colts, which I wouldn't count on).

Very anti-Florida (Spring Breakers not withstanding), but very pro-Pats and Brady, also have enough of a soft spot for my personal 'can't quit you even if you always burn me' fantasy heartbreaker Mike Evans. And OJ Howard to a lesser extent. Plus Arians theoretically letting him sling it around, as much as he still can anyhow, I'm excited.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 11:56:04 PM »
Someone's gotta make a FLY Amps Spring Breakers - Greatest Hits post.

There's a difference between designing a pass-heavy offense like NO and just having no running game or any other outlet. The Lions would just throw it up to Megatron when all else failed, and dude was bracketed at all times, sometimes with a third guy with eyes on him. Your point is valid on Fitz, but then Jerry Rice had some good receivers with him, i.e. John Taylor and T.O., and I don't think that diminishes his standing as the GOAT.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
I disagree about Calvin Johnson being the greatest ever, Randy Moss (not being the strongest or a break tackle WR) is the purest form wideout of all time with incredible speed and hands.  Over the middle/break tackle I'll take TO in his prime.  Maybe I'm just old and remember those days better, and not to say Megatron wasn't incredible, he was, it's just all time Randy is the man.

Recently I got to hang out with a Titan and a Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chief and play some Top Golf, unlike the baseball players we see on Twitter they weren't exactly great, but could hit the ball a mile.  Really friendly and cool guys, that seems so long ago now that we are all living in this quarantine world...sorry a little humblebrag there lol
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 03:32:57 PM »
Lost a decent bit of money on that trash that the refs pulled handing KC the Super Bowl. Lost a bit on the Titans not taking down the Chiefs as well, but I can't support a division rival very much.

Rice is definitely one of the best (though I'd head a case that TO maybe was more 'complete' than him, and would probably take TO over Moss, but put both very high); however, he also had the second best QB ever throwing to him for a while. Though he played in, generally, a much more run heavy NFL, so that's a point in his favor for breaking out in that type of era. Obviously at this point passing is pretty much the game, especially with how penalties are called, so not sure I'd go too hard with my usual common thought process when it comes to comparing modern athletes to all timers. That is to say in the Jordan vs. LeBron debate, to me there's not really a case to be made for Jordan outside of his legacy because, especially in something like the NBA, athletes are just so much more developed. Like they come up through middle and high school, sometimes earlier, being groomed for the NBA ASAP, plus the better understanding of the human body/strength and conditioning, the pros that are produced today start so much farther along than ever before.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 07:09:09 AM »
Having been a Dolphins fan all these years, I feel like I have just been beaten into submission. I do watch them but then I go find the more interesting games to watch.  Debating if I will keep the NFL package this year or not.. assuming they play
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 07:38:05 AM »
As NOT a die-hard Dolphins fan, I feel like they were better than they were supposed to be last year, have had a solid off-season, and are helped by Brady and several other important players leaving the Pats. Some overpays, but as an AZ Cardinals fan, I know how that goes, gotta do it if you're not a perennial contender.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »
Steelers fan here. I've gotten deep into fantasy football over the last 10 years, which has really fueled my fandom even more. Used to just watch Pittsburgh, now I watch and follow everything. Love following the draft for instance!

Cardinals definitely took advantage of Bill O'Brien being a horrible, horrible GM. Great season/off-season under Kingsbury so far.

As for the Dolphins, I agree the Pats dynasty in the East is coming to a close, and the Dolphins are well positioned with young talent and draft capital to become relevant again over the next 5 years. Really like their coach too.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."