love

Author Topic: #770: Purple Rain - Spinal Tap - Stop Making Sense (8 From '84) / Madness Final  (Read 1028 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
PURPLE RAIN was one of the highest-grossing films of 1984, but Prince's semi-autobiographical screen debut hasn't aged as well as its music has. The opposite is true of THIS IS SPINAL TAP and STOP MAKING SENSE, which were only modestly successful at the time of their release but have become two of the most celebrated rock films of all time. Adam and Josh continue their 8 From '84 series with a look at the rock trio—plus Filmspotting Madness: Best of the 2010s gets down to the Final 4.
Texan Down Under

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Great show, great conversation on the three music-based films. I need to see Stop Making Sense, I'm Talking Heads-curious.

I'm going to make a hurtful admission: I didn't know the Chappelle line about purifying oneself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka was a reference to anything besides that Prince is from Minnesota, there is a lake called Minnetonka there, and he had a penchant for saying mysterious and random things. I feel I need to see Purple Rain just to pay tribute to the Chappelle-Prince skit. It sounds awful, though.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
I wasn’t really a Talking Heads fan until one day I watched Stop Making Sense. Now it is a top 100 for me.  the love of Prince has alluded me so far and I don’t think watching Purple Rain is going to help from listening to the episode.  Maybe I will find if he has any Blu-ray concert films that may allow is musical genius wash over me like Stop Making Sense did

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
That pushes Stop Making Sense up my list even further, thanks jdc!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
I too was not a Talking Heads fan until I watched Stop Making Sense. It's a masterpiece.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
It's one of my favorites too, and a go-to movie for me to put on when I just want to be entertained.

love