love

Author Topic: Bondo's Top "100" "Movies" of the 2010s  (Read 14447 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Bondo's Top "100" "Movies" of the 2010s
« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
Joe Wright used to be such a talent and now I haven't even seen his last two films. Def rewatching Hanna.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2020, 10:04:31 AM »
Hanna and AK are near-masterpieces. What happened, Joe?
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »
His post-AK highlight is Nosedive, a middling Black Mirror episode that probably should have been better given the premise.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2020, 12:33:32 PM »
Name as in director? I know Feig and Linklater have four each. Koreeda, Coens, Spielberg, Barnard and Loach have three. A bunch with two, though not all were featured together as a theme.
I think you had a couple of Cinematographers too, but I was thinking of people behind the camera, not in front of it. Feig surprises me. Linklater doesn't because he's such a busy bee. He had 6 features this decade, I only have one coming up in my Marathon.

I haven't looked at multiple directors with my list, which might be a good way to lessen the presence of Animation (12 titles) and Disney (which is over 20), but then I get into another patch of franchise filmmakers with The Russo Brothers and David Yates or problem child David O. Russell. I also have 3 from Spielberg along with 3 by Danny Boyle.

Joe Wright's recent downtrend is because he's continued to repeat his style, (long takes, overhead shots, heightened costuming and makeup), favoring it over substance.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:46 PM »
That Danny Boyle has zero films on my list may be the biggest shock given he dominates my 90s/00s lists. Omitting 127 Hours is perhaps a bit harsh but no others were even close for me. Of course, we have a few more faders still to mention.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
#13 The Cabin In The Woods
Theme: A Laughing Matter
Also Featuring: Tucker and Dale vs Evil and Deerskin

Broadly speaking I’ve favored comedic or meta approaches to horror over purer genre exploits. The Cabin In The Woods goes uber-meta by creating a world where the horror filmmakers are in a sense embodied in sadistic bureaucrats who take up an annual rite of orchestrating a real-life horror film in coherence with many a trope. Tucker and Dale vs Evil flips the script on hillbilly horror by putting us in the shoes of the presumptive hillbillies. Now, this film is probably cheating a bit to the degree that it seriously tries to bridge blue state-red state/urban-rural divides, as Tucker and Dale are hardly the type of reactionaries that have pushed that divide to its current state. Finally, Deerskin delivers on the absurdist horror potential that Quentin Dupieux practiced with in Rubber. Deerskin marks the final of the 11 films on the list that I’m considering 2020 for Filmspot purposes (the strong majority of my top films of the year so far).

#12 Get Out
Theme: Possession is 9/10ths of the Horror
Also Featuring: The World’s End and Grabbers

So this is it. Get Out is the best horror film of the 2010s. Of course, putting this in a group of body snatching movies is a spoiler but really, if you haven’t seen Get Out at this point please get out (also, Grabbers isn’t a body snatching film but I needed a place to wedge it in so I’m claiming the people are possessed by alcohol). But Get Out feels so much different than the body snatching films that Edgar Wright and Co. send up in The World’s End. There are many layers to the way black lives, black culture, etc are taken by white society that Get Out so effectively comments on. Meanwhile The World’s End gets sentimental about friendship and he way adult responsibilities can pull that away. And Grabbers is a film about a community beset by aliens who find they are safe if they stay drunk, what’s not to love about that.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2020, 04:42:26 PM »
Aww yea, the horror section of the marathon! I imagine Cabin and Get Out will place high on my list. The World's End is one I plan to revisit but I have a feeling it'll be low on the list if it makes it.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:43 PM »
Like the mention for Grabbers.

Rather than compare Horror films, I used Letterboxd Top Horror List which is a mix of my own and They Shoot Zombies. Get Out is the top film there too, while my clear Best of the Decade is #18 next to It and Attack the Block. That's insanely low to me. Still, the 2010s have produced more good Horror films than any other decade and that's something to celebrate.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2020, 09:33:18 PM »
#11 Boyhood
Theme: Richard Linklater
Also Featuring: Before Midnight and Last Flag Flying

There has been talk about directors who have faded, and certainly of directors who broke out in the 2010s, but the ranks of the big name directors who have kept up a level of output from prior decades into this one is somewhat limited. Richard Linklater is certainly one of them (alongside Spielberg and Koreeda). And Linklater does it in so many ways. The decade-spanning project Boyhood is a powerfully effective granular look at a boy becoming a man in the midst of family strife. The Before series takes a slightly different granular approach to the peaks and valleys of a relationship watching not over the course of the decade but rather checking in every decade. These are epic works. On the other hand the previously mentioned Bernie and Last Flag Flying are both distinctive works of more standard film-making. Last Flag Flying, with a stunning cast of Steve Carell, Bryan Cranston and Laurence Fishburne, considers the lingering effects of war on three men who served together, brought together by the combat death of a son.

#10 Gravity
Theme: Survival of the Fittest
Also Featuring: Ex Machina and Mad Max: Fury Road

Each of these technically dazzling films ultimately are about female survival. Gravity is fight for survival against cold, uncaring space (or grief), Ex Machina is an effort to survive male attempts to define womanhood (in the form of AI awareness), and Fury Road leaves metaphor by the wayside and is outright combat against patriarchal control. I suppose Tom Hardy is also surviving in Fury Road, but the fact that he's the title character and gets sidelined all the same is one of the film's strengths.

Of course, I also observe these three tales of female survival come from male directors, and indeed for as much as I think my list is very inclusive of female directors (20% of the films approximately from the rough count I just did), the highest ranked one was Little Women. With the exception of one Also Featuring title, it’s men from here on in. I’m not sure if that’s something I should read into.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2020, 03:18:54 AM »
So much greatness coming so fast!

Cabin looked better on paper than what I experienced in the theater. Get Out's concept also looked great on paper, but my expectations were low because of the director. I thought, Jordan Peele? That dude from that show on Comedy Central that isn't even funny? Like at all? GTFO. Seeing Get Out may have been the biggest reversal insofar as expectation vs. result, in either direction, that I experienced in the 10's.

Was gonna comment on Hanna earlier. One of the forgotten-abouts from the decade, especially considering what Soairse Ronan would go on to do the rest of the decade. I was really into it when I saw it in theater, and it's probably due a revisit.

(Modified because the original made no sense, lol.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:27:33 PM by etdoesgood »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire