love

Author Topic: ET & Elvis Costello Have a Cup of Coffee (or Two)  (Read 9198 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: ET & Elvis Costello Have a Cup of Coffee (or Two)
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2020, 05:01:31 PM »
And some of them are pretty fun little tunes in isolation, but doing like an hour listen in headphones would not work.

Oh but you're wrong! In the songs Martin listed, you get to hear three of the most beautiful female voices ever to be recorded, Karen Carpenter, Dionne Warwick & Marilyn McCoo. All in their vocal prime.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2020, 01:11:20 AM »
Reissues AGAIN?
I'm very pleased that I stopped amass records some thirty years ago.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2022, 01:19:30 AM »
ET, any plans to review Hey Clockface?

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »
ET, any plans to review Hey Clockface?

Been thinking on this. Been a few that have dropped since then. Yeah, it’s likely.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2022, 03:58:27 AM »
My favourite Joe Jackson's album is The Jumpin' Jive (1981), which is an album of covers, but such good music.

I was deejaying at a college radio station when this was released. I played the shit out of it. After his first two albums, this ranks third for me.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2022, 04:05:45 AM »
Dude fell off, and how. I could make a good ten-cut playlist from the best songs spanning this decade, but not much else, and those songs would come nearly completely from Mighty Like a Rose and Brutal Youth. I have a four-tier list of Costello albums going, and the 90’s surely helped me fill in the bottom.

It was in this time frame where he became, for me, the "Roddy McDowell" of R&R music. He'd pop up in every documentary about some other performer or he'd show up to play alongside someone who was performing live, just to remain relative. Then when he hooked up with Diana Krall and kind of sucked the life out of her, I couldn't tolerate him anymore. He's like a R&R leech now.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2022, 05:46:23 AM »
My favourite Joe Jackson's album is The Jumpin' Jive (1981), which is an album of covers, but such good music.

I was deejaying at a college radio station when this was released. I played the shit out of it. After his first two albums, this ranks third for me.

What was being a college radio DJ like? It sound like a really fun gig, but I suspect it was not that, sort a too good to be true type job.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2022, 12:14:12 PM »
I loved it, but it felt like absolutely nobody was listening. Every once in a while a few friends would tune in.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2022, 08:26:14 PM »
Just to add...Hey Clockface is something I have to listen to more thoroughly, but also, The Boy Named If dropped this year and is both better-reviewed and charted higher in the UK. I definitely have to get to that. Haven't heard a track yet.

This was a fun marathon, can't believe it's already been two years. I'd like to do something like this again, but right now I'm deep into the Wu-Tang Clan, and I don't know that anyone would be interested in that, even though there are like a hundred albums I could talk about.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2022, 01:32:49 AM »
I loved it, but it felt like absolutely nobody was listening. Every once in a while a few friends would tune in.

I imagine the worry that nobody is listening must be in a lot of DJs minds. You sit in a booth with no visual audience to clue you into who or how many are listening. Then can only rely on callers/writers to gauge if someone heard. Did you have a "good" shift time wise, as in a time when people were likely to be listening? Did you build the whole show yourself, or was a structure you were requested to work to? Your choice of playlist or someone elses or a blend?