Author Topic: Top 100 Club: colonel_mexico  (Read 5647 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: Top 100 Club: colonel_mexico
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 08:05:38 PM »
Sooooo...I've narrowed it down to...

Wake In Fright
Akira
Mid90s
Friday Night Lights

That's a diverse little mini-colonel_mex marathon. I will get to at least two, if not all four.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 09:18:21 PM »
WAKE IN FRIGHT is one of those films that really stuck out, its daring and frightening without needing a scary monster or some supernatural premise for a strong effect. This is one of those Aussie-gothic films that seemed to be flowing out during the 70s/80s, movies like STONE and THE CARS THAT PARIS ATE (WALKABOUT isn't necessarily apart of this, but has some similar elements related to the brutal nature of the bush/outback). I also struggled for a number of years with alcoholism and in a lot of ways the adventure here is an example of the viciousness of the cycle and all the strange, weird things that are a part of that kind of life.  Now I'm not saying this is a take on alcoholism specifically, its more metaphorical. 

MAJOR LEAGUE is totally for a non-sports guy because its a comedy without trying to get to serious or share any kind of history. Its kind of like a baseball goonies, a band of misfits raging against the machine of the rich and powerful.  Cleveland is such a blue collar town and the loveable loser is something that's kind of embodied the city (pre-Lebron and a lot related to the football Browns). Still, these characters are really likeable and just really funny, but it is about a baseball team so there will be a good amount of sports related jokes, tropes, and cliche.

PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is more of a touching baseball movie and the triumph, but sad story of the legendary Yankee Lou Gehrig.  I love Gary Cooper in movies like this and SERGEANT YORK (Hawks gold), he's got that goofy-aw-shucks charm that is relatable.  Babe Ruth is actually in this too, but I must admit as a Yankees fan this one is a more of a fanboy pick than anything.

I'm interested (and can't wait) in everyone's thoughts as they make their way through these!! FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is perfect for a high school teacher, and that Texas HS football-life is very alive and well in the small Florida town where I went to high school. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:20 PM »
WAKE IN FRIGHT is one of those films that really stuck out, its daring and frightening without needing a scary monster or some supernatural premise for a strong effect. This is one of those Aussie-gothic films that seemed to be flowing out during the 70s/80s, movies like STONE and THE CARS THAT PARIS ATE (WALKABOUT isn't necessarily apart of this, but has some similar elements related to the brutal nature of the bush/outback). I also struggled for a number of years with alcoholism and in a lot of ways the adventure here is an example of the viciousness of the cycle and all the strange, weird things that are a part of that kind of life.  Now I'm not saying this is a take on alcoholism specifically, its more metaphorical. 

MAJOR LEAGUE is totally for a non-sports guy because its a comedy without trying to get to serious or share any kind of history. Its kind of like a baseball goonies, a band of misfits raging against the machine of the rich and powerful.  Cleveland is such a blue collar town and the loveable loser is something that's kind of embodied the city (pre-Lebron and a lot related to the football Browns). Still, these characters are really likeable and just really funny, but it is about a baseball team so there will be a good amount of sports related jokes, tropes, and cliche.

PRIDE OF THE YANKEES is more of a touching baseball movie and the triumph, but sad story of the legendary Yankee Lou Gehrig.  I love Gary Cooper in movies like this and SERGEANT YORK (Hawks gold), he's got that goofy-aw-shucks charm that is relatable.  Babe Ruth is actually in this too, but I must admit as a Yankees fan this one is a more of a fanboy pick than anything.

I'm interested (and can't wait) in everyone's thoughts as they make their way through these!! FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS is perfect for a high school teacher, and that Texas HS football-life is very alive and well in the small Florida town where I went to high school.

Looks like Major League is a go for me.  I need a light comedy.  And Eagle v. Shark.  And we'll see if we can throw in some Agony and Ecstacy as well.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 05:29:10 AM »
I have not seen:

4. Grand Hotel (1932)
9. Pride of the Yankees (1942)
10. The Horse's Mouth (1958)
13. Tender Mercies (1983)
14. Solaris (1972)
20. To Have and Have Not (1944)
24. Gangs of New York (2002)
25. My Darling Clementine (1946)
27. Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
28. Schindler's List (1993)
29. Les Miserables (1998)
30. Amadeus (1984)
31. Crossroads (1986)
32. Eight Men Out (1988)
34. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
40. True Romance (1993)
45. Gentlemen Broncos (2009)
47. Julieta (2016)
50. Lolita (1962)
51. Key Largo (1948)
54. Closer (2004)
55. For Greater Glory (2012)
56. Being There (1979)
58. My Way (2011)
61. The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965)
63. Mid90s (2018)
69. Cobb (1994)
71. Last of the Mohicans (1992)
72. Fury (1936)
73. Barfly (1987)
74. Splinterheads (2009)
76. Bone Tomahawk (2015)
77. Menace to Society (1993)
80. Trees Lounge (1996)
82. Ravenous (1999)
84. As Good As It Gets (1997)
87. Tenderness (2009)
88. Friday Night Lights (2004)
92. A Woman of Affairs (1928)
93. The Edge (1997)
95. Los Olvidados (1950)
97. La Bamba (1987)
98. Pain and Glory (2019)
100. Only God Forgives (2013)

So that is rather a lot (44 unseen).

I have just watched Parasite, so that will be one of my movies. Now I just need to write the review

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 12:12:31 PM »
TENDERNESS has Russell Crowe! Ha! Looking forward to the PARASITE review, I think having interacted with you over Oz film, I think you would enjoy GANGS OF NEW YORK, TENDER MERCIES, and BEING THERE.  Not that they are anything like a lot of the films we've explored, just a few I thought might interest you. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2020, 07:01:57 AM »
I remember when Being There came out, and I have always meant to get around to seeing it. If I can find a subscription copy I will get to that (just checked and I will have to search further afield for subscription choices).

The review will be coming for Parasite, just not yet.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 11:54:35 PM »
Pain and Glory - Almodovar has three films in my top 250, but after the broad misfire I'm So Excited (his worst film), I took a break. But this film is a clear return to greatness. Many of his trademarks are present... the bold use of color and careful production design, layers of artifice, the melodramatic flourishes, the strokes of improbably coincidence. And there's also a maturity here that suits him well. There's a certain dignity, for lack of a better word, to the proceedings. I don't know just how autobiographical the content actually is, but it definitely feels like a director getting introspective. Banderas is fantastic as always (one of the director/actor teams there is), struggling with demons without looking like he's struggling with demons all the time. And it's always a joy to see Cruz, plus I was thoroughly won over by Asier Etxeandia, in the first role I've seen him in.

I also loved the animations depicting Salvador's afflictions, the non-hysterical approach to heroin use, and the novel way of using "flashbacks". This one could well enter my own list after a second viewing. Quite compelling and moving (and gorgeous), not entirely sure yet if it hits that "favorite" button for me, but I immediately put the Blu-Ray on my want list. Rating: Great (90)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 07:41:23 AM »
Parasite (2019 Bong Joon Ho, streamed on Stan)

Director Bong has brought South Korean cinema to the English speaking masses, and with Parasite's best film Oscar we have seen what is likely only a short term incursion of non-English language winners (we can hope for more, but I suspect it will be a while before we see this as a regular occurrence, just look at the number of women who have won best director since Kathryn Bigelow).

For me personally I have been mixed on director Bong's work. Well not so much mixed as not as enamoured with some of his films. I saw Memories of Murder back when it was at MIFF, and it did not grab me as much as it has many others. I missed The Host (although I have just finished watching that) and loved Mother. Anyway my expectations going into Parasite were confident I would enjoy the film, but still wondering how much.

Parasite is a beautiful looking film, that house, wow, and to hear it is just a set, not a real house, is amazing. It feels real, complete, solid, the layout is tangible. I loved the performances; So-dam Park as Ki Jung in particular, but the whole cast was excellent. The plot and humour were entertaining, however it just did not capture me entirely. I am not sure why, a bit of unwanted dread on my part, maybe.

It has been a few days since I have seen the film and writing about it has me wondering why I am not ecstatic about the film. Maybe because like The Host, at around 3/4s of the way through the film there is a bit of a lull in the pace and my attention, just a slight slip.

Parasite ends up middle tier on director Bong's filmography.

Rating: 78 / 100

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 01:06:18 PM »
@MT - I am so glad you liked it, this list has quite a number of films that resonate on a very personal level for me and the complicated and strange relationships he portrays often remind me of my family.  I too wonder about how much of a story this is about himself, especially with the ending-the scene on the bench where he finds the little trading cards of Robert Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor (I have some Greta Garbo German cigarette cards from the 30s lol) seemed like a nostalgic glance at the past. Etxeandia is so great, the darkness he lives in and the vainglorious way he remembers his career is the kind of hubris I'd have if I had been a one hit wonder.  Remembering the past is so easy to think of it as some paradise, when everything including myself was perfect-usually a total lie.  Banderas character seems to recognize the lie and realizes the trail of regret, but is still held back even though there is no reason to anymore.

Improbable coincidences are some of my favorite things about Almodovar's films, I enjoyed your review and even more happy that you liked it.  2019 had some great films and this was right up there, thanks for watching!

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
@dave - The house is pretty incredible, the setup was perfect for film because you get great shots of people sneaking down the stairs and listening in on the conversations in the kitchen.  Reminded me of old film covers of like horror movies or something.  I love symbols in film and the scholar's rock being given to the family while they are struggling to get free wifi and their phones turned on seems to be exactly the kind of irony Bong is aiming at with the film.  The poor family and the rich family both parasites off each other in a lot of ways, especially when one family is just trying to make it and the other beyond selfish with way too much. The cast is incredible, every performance is the reason I watch movies the weak-trying-to-be-courageous brother, the beautiful intelligent but mischievous sister, the father blindly believing their fate is tied to something great-incredible is the only word I have lol. 

I am glad you enjoyed it at least a little, and I can understand maybe some misgivings about everyone fawning over its greatness, I too am reluctant to follow crowds when it comes to best-movie-ever claims.  This one just really spoke to me and even though I'm not much into horror/thrillers (even though I have a number of them in my top 100 lol), they often are great platforms for expressing commentary on society.  Thanks for watching!