Author Topic: Top 5 Sci-Fi Movies  (Read 1869 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Top 5 Sci-Fi Movies
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2020, 12:04:59 AM »
Iím dead serious though. F that fatphobic movie. The first half is wonderful, and then it utterly squanders my goodwill.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2020, 12:56:08 AM »
Alien
Blade Runner
Gattaca
Arrival
The Matrix
Hey, nice marmot!

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 02:27:28 AM »
Iím dead serious though. F that fatphobic movie. The first half is wonderful, and then it utterly squanders my goodwill.

Obesity of the kind you see in WALL-E is straight up unhealthy, it's not just being overweight. It's the result of people literally living their whole lives in chairs. I guess you can extrapolate that as meaning fat=lazy, but I didn't see it that way, given that the whole context is that they've built this new environment in space: the reason they are like this is because they are living in this artificial environment, which basically screws humanity up.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 05:29:05 AM »

Obesity of the kind you see in WALL-E is straight up unhealthy, it's not just being overweight. It's the result of people literally living their whole lives in chairs. I guess you can extrapolate that as meaning fat=lazy, but I didn't see it that way, given that the whole context is that they've built this new environment in space: the reason they are like this is because they are living in this artificial environment, which basically screws humanity up.

I see MT's point, it's one I've thought about. Teproc's answer is fairly in line with my take. The question is, given the circumstances of their lives, what should their body compositions be? (Also, if this is going to hijack the thread, I'm OK talking about WALL-E, fat shaming, and obesity elsewhere. It is pertinent.)
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 06:21:04 AM »
Stalker
On the Silver Globe
World on a Wire
Solaris (Tarkovsky)
Zardoz

Ok, I give in. Zardoz is a very interesting choice as a top 5 Sci Fi (or top 5 anything). Can you say why?

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »
I agree with Martin Teller (in part) because the film uses the weight of the characters in the movie as a punchline to several jokes. The primary one is when the Captain stands up to grab Auto. The way Pixar emphasizes the moment with the 2001 track seems pretty aware of the fact that they see this scene as a joke where the punchline is "wow, an obese person standing up!" It's mean-spirited.

love