love

Author Topic: General Sports Talk  (Read 3776 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
General Sports Talk
« on: July 09, 2020, 04:21:18 AM »
Some sport-specific stuff is good, some things cut across different sports. Thus, this thread.

SO: WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE SPORTS TEAMS OF ALL-TIME?

Not, who do you support, but specific teams, i.e. Detroit Pistons 2003-04 or New England Patriots (name a year) or, you know what I mean, here's my example. Hoping others will participate.

Here are my 5:
5. 2000 Michigan State Basketball Team (Won NCAA Tournament)
Flintstones - A bunch of local guys from Flint propelled Tom Izzo to his only title.

4. 2019 USWNT Soccer (Won World Cup)
The one in 15 was more dramatic and featured Carli Lloyd still doing bananas things, but this was just as gratifying. Loved seein' Rapinoe be Rapinoe.

3. 2015 USWNT Soccer (Won World Cup)
All about Carli Lloyd's hat trick in the final, including a chip over the goalie covering half the length of the field.

2. 2019-20 Liverpool FC (Won UCL in '19, EPL in '20)
Every player on this team is absolutely lovable. They each have their own style, their own way of going at it, they're from all over the world. And damnit, Klopp is my favorite coach of anything ever. After he retires, he should definitely run for office and eventually become the first Emperor of the People of Planet Earth.

1. 2003-04 Detroit Pistons (Won NBA Title)
This was the most unexpected title for a team I've been a fan of. The Lakers, with Kobe, Shaq, Karl Malone, and Gary Payton had this thing gift wrapped for them before the season even began. And the Stones got them, 4 games to 1. Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and Ben Wallace went on to be perennial all-stars after Chaunce and Big Ben were journeymen in the league for years.

I know we have a few sports fans here, so sound off! And if it's a team you loved that didn't quite win the titles, that's all good, too. Phoenix Rising 2019 is close to making this list.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 08:17:22 PM by Eric/E.T. »
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: General Sports Talk
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 01:15:55 PM »
1996-1998 Utah Jazz - I was a huge John Stockton fan, he seemed to be so short out there (he's like 6'1" or something so not really short) and I wanted to mirror my game after his. Also, everyone was swept up in the Jordan era and were in love with the Bulls, so I pulled for the underdog.  The two championship trips are often replayed, though in homage to some of Jordan's greatest moments even if there was a slight push off haha.  John was always such a good sportsman too, rough and rugged, but he also really loved the game. Hornacek used to rub his face, that was his way of waving to his kids before shooting free throws, those teams were some of the top free throw shooting teams of all time. Still John is one of those quiet all time greats, still holding records that might not be touched in all time assists and steals-a great player on both ends of the court. 

2005-06 Pittsburgh Steelers - the end of Bill Cowher's era was pretty enjoyable especially with my guy Hines Ward out there capturing a title and an MPV.  While the Mike Tomlin era has been pretty solid and that SB victory (and even the loss) has been a fun ride, but this win after the last horrible loss in 95 to the Cowboys was incredible.  Bill had this jaw that he would lock up when he was angry, I mean the guy was ferocious and he wasn't even playing.  Antwaan Randle-El was also a lot of fun to watch, I think he had been a QB at Indiana and seeing him toss a TD in the big game was no surprise.  Big Ben and the Bus were also making names for themselves and extending their legacies. The defense was also formdiable, with Troy Polamalu and Joey Porter mowing down the other side. 

2002-2003 Kansas Jayhawks - While this team was my bracket team to win it all, so there's some gambling bias, it was still an incredible run by both Kansas and the Carmelo Anthony-led Syracuse Orangemen.  Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison dominated the Big 12 that year and seemed poised to win it all.  Roy Williams was coaching this squad too and was beefing up the resume to take on the UNC job.  Carmelo proved to be too much though, a man amongst boys and I remember the draft later that year about who would be better Lebron or Carmelo, clearly Lebron has won that one.  Still again I find myself remembering the loveable losers.

2004-2005 Texas Longhorns - I went to UT out of high school and while it is sacrilege to throw the Jayhawks in, this is about favorite teams all time and that was a fun team. These guys were incredible, Vince Young will forever be a hero here in Austin. It was an incredible season, one where they actually beat Oklahoma (so many years of losing that game and ruining any title chances) and then facing not one, but two Heisman trophy winners at their home stadium for the title.  I remember Matt Leinart after the game saying the best team didn't win, and while I understand he was probably salty at having lost, Vince was one of the most electric players out there and the game winning drive was a broken play for the ages.  Reggie Bush was great too, but my love of this team and game rests almost entirely on VY.  I could watch that Rose Bowl again and again for the rest of my life.

2009 New York Yankees - As you can probably tell all my favorite teams are from all over the country, the result of being a military brat and not even living in the United States for a number of years growing up.  And while I had been a fan of the Yankees as a kid in the 90s, I really loved the 2009 team. Most Yankees fans, and baseball people generally, despise Alex Rodriguez, but I actually really enjoyed watching him play. Like Griffey Jr. his swing was just incredible, he had a slight bend in his knees and the swing was so fluid the ball would explode right out of there, but really smoothly. Best right handed hitter I've ever seen play the game. And 09 was his year to finally shine through, perhaps the most expensive world series, but he finally delivered.  The homerun against the Twins in the rain in the ALDS was incredible and just what you hope from your star player.  That WS run would not have been possible without Al.

Honorable Mention: 2006-2007 Boise State Broncos- These guys played the most incredible Fiesta Bowl ever (ok maybe not ever I know Nebraska has some national title wins there), anyway the trick plays were so well executed to beat a really good Oklahoma team. Jared Zabransky and Ian Johnson played the game of their lives.  Boise also has that incredible blue field, in my Air Force days we used to drink at the Chilis across the street from the stadium.  Such a fun game and arguably a co-national champ, though I'm not sure how Z and the boys would have held up against Tebow and the Gators that year. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 03:29:29 AM »
I remember the run-up to the UT/USC game, ESPN did a poll for the best college football team ever and was constantly comparing all-time great teams to see if they could beat USC. Then Texas came out and did the impossible. ESPN has done a lot of dumb stuff like that in the past, they've gone with trends as much as set them, but that was the most BS I've seen in their coverage. Vince Young was the truth, at least in college.

I remember being at a little sports bar in Wrigleyville in the aftermath of New Year's watching the Boise State game. The area was super dead that night, but there were a few tables of people watching the game, and holy shit we couldn't believe what we were seeing. That's probably the best bowl game I've ever seen.

I hated the Jazz, lol. I still wanted them to win because watching the Bulls get all those titles was really boring, but I hated Karl Malone. I remember when the Mavs finally broke through and beat the Jazz in a series that brought the downfall of their team. I was so happy. That's some true haterade, I'm not above it, especially in sports.

You're all over the map, but those are some fun picks! I've lived in two place, sooooo...time for Arizona teams to start winning stuff so I can put them up there! Last year's Phoenix Rising team is an honorable mention actually. The Cards are probably going to be our best hope considering their offseason, but I'm not betting on them or any other team.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 07:27:07 AM »
I largely hate, or at best don't give a shit about, college football. But, to this day, that Texas/USC game is the best one I've ever watched live. Helps that I detested that USC program and loved VY/Texas (still the only college team I will watch on occasion), but the performance that Vince Young put on was amazing. At the time I knew why they didn't, but definitely wanted the Texans to draft him (they went with Mario Williams, who I was also on board with heavily though), and it sucked that he went to the Titans of all teams. I still vividly remember staying up late that night to watch the whole thing, wondering if he could do it, and the huge rush when they won.

Not even sure which games would compare. I assume NE at some point, maybe when they beat Philly because I knew of the fallout locally? Definitely would have been the NE vs NYG Super Bowl if it wasn't for that stupid catch that kept me from witnessing a perfect season from the best to ever do it. Plus so many Giants fans at my school, so they were going nuts. Smdh. Perhaps ATL/NE, that was fun to watch, but I wasn't personally invested.

At this point I'm more interested in being a degenerate gambler than the sports themselves, so I figure that feeling won't happen again because it gets more muddy.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
Definitely would be tempted to say this year's Liverpool, but I probably enjoyed watching the chaos of the Suarez-Sturridge-Sterling year they finished second more.

1998 Minnesota Vikings...so fun to watch, again came up agonizingly short.

1994 Colorado Buffaloes football...again, could go for the 1990 national championship team, though I was too young to fully experience that, 2001 was also quite a team, especially getting the first win over Nebraska, in dominant fashion, after so many years coming short including 1994. But that 1994 team should have been a championship winning team.

1991 Minnesota Twins...Kirby Puckett against the plexiglass catch in the crappiest baseball stadium ever conceived. A few years later I saw a regular season game there where Frank Thomas got an inside the park grand slam. I mean, I'm sure it wasn't considered as such due to errors but you have to appreciate the ineptitude of letting Thomas, not the fleetest of players, to get all the way around.

1996 Colorado Avalanche. We were spoiled, get a team in and win the cup in our first year, just to spite Quebec. The strike/lockout of the early 00s kind of broke my connection with the team and they've been on the margins ever since.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 12:06:39 PM »
5. 1983 North Carolina State Wolfpack - This was the team that beat Phi-Slamma-Jamma in the 1983 NCAA Championship game, and to me, the greatest college basketball championship game ever. Houston had two future Hall of Fame players on this team, Clyde Drexler and Akeem Olajuwon. It came down to a last second attempted shot that came up short and was grabbed by Lorenzo Charles and ironically, dunked.

4. 2013 Boston Red Sox - They weren't the team that broke the curse, but they had been a last place team the previous year and they went into the 2013 season with nowhere to go but upwards and they did. They played with a reckless abandon that was a joy to watch all season as they won a plethora of games in the 9th inning or on the last pitch of said inning. You don't get games that exciting in baseball often, yet it seemed that it happened a couple of times a week for this team, all season. When they won the World Series, it was like a huge grapefruit sized cherry on top of the most delicious sundae I ever ate.

3. 1970 Boston Bruins - This was the team and season that put Bobby Orr on the world map of hockey greatness and immortality. You can keep Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr was and will always be the GOAT in hockey. He changed the game so radically that every team had to rethink how to defend against an opponent. Had he played at the same time as Gretzky and Lemieux, his career would probably have been longer, with the advances in arthroscopic surgery. He was the hockey equivalent of Mickey Mantle, playing a much more physically grueling sport on two decimated knees. My favorite moment from that season happened in a late season game, I think it was against the Chicago Black Hawks, Orr took the puck from behind his own net and started up the ice. He maneuvered through 4 of the 5 opposing team players, but somehow had the puck deflected away from him. Derek Sanderson, a second line Center, retrieved it and after every Bruin had cleared the zone, passed it back to Orr. Orr took the puck all the way back to his own net and after surveying the ice ahead for a few seconds, took off up ice. You could see that he was pissed that the puck had been taken away from him on the previous drive and now he was going to show them what he was truly made of. Like a lightning bolt, he cut through the five players opposing his path to the net and after deaking out Tony Esposito, planted it in the net. I sat there in front of the TV with my mouth agape at what I had just witnessed. Orr had proven to everyone in the stadium and every one watching at home that he was an immortal hockey god, playing against mere mortals.

2. 1985 & 1986 La Vie Claire - This was the racing team that featured Bernard Hinault & Greg Lemond, who between them, won 8 Yellow Jerseys in the Tour de France. Hinault's last was in 1986 and it came with a bit of contention between the two. The following year, Hinault retired and Lemond was injured in a hunting accident. His Yellow Jerseys would come later in the decade. But watching these two in those two amazing years was mind-boggling. Professional cycling is the most physically demanding sporting event in the world and cyclists are definitely the most fearless and toughest athletes participating in ANY sport. You get an injury in any other sport, you leave and recuperate in the weeks that follow. In cycling, if you're involved in a crash or you fall off the bike, if you can sit and pedal the cranks, you get back on and ride! In those two years, both riders faced different kinds of adversity that proved that when they over came the travails, they were the greatest of their time.

1. 1985 Chicago Bears - My favorite NFL player of all time was Walter Payton. I was so happy that in the twilight of his career he was finally surrounded by an all around great team. For the first time in his career, he actually played behind a quarterback that could muscle a team into the opponent's endzone with regularity. Their defense was and still is, the greatest group of defensive teammates ever to walk onto the field. They dismantled 15 of the 16 teams they faced in the regular season. Their lone loss coming at the quick hands of Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins. You live by the blitz, you die by the blitz and Marino's decision making and quick release showed the Achilles Heel in the Bears game plan. But thanks to the "Squish the Fish" miracle in Miami during the playoffs, Marino would watch at home instead of playing in the Super Bowl. And Walter would get the ring he so valiantly deserved.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
So now we know why Washington rolled over so easy - now - on the name change.
They had even more damaging revelations coming down the pike.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/16/redskins-sexual-harassment-larry-michael-alex-santos/
Hey, nice marmot!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 11:29:24 PM »
Yeaaahhh...that article has a paywall, but they're all over. Here's the CNN.

Considering all the iconography this country is rapidly disposing of, I think the Redskins' name change would have finally come to fruition regardless of these allegations. Maybe not, though. To hear Daniel Snyder fosters a toxic culture over there is not surprising whatsoever. He's a scummy dude.

The college I went to, Eastern Michigan University, around the corner from where I grew up and the place I did preschool, did away with its Huron nickname and logo in 1991. I submitted the name idea "Thundercats" via a form in the local newspaper and drew a very bad design because I was 9, and anyway could never draw. Point is, now I'm 38 and some of the most obvious and infamous Native American-related logos still stand! The Cleveland Indians should be the next to fall, that logo is unbelievably racist. Do they still do the "Tomohawk Chop" at Florida State?

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:01 PM »
The Chief Wahoo logo was already being phased out, I'm not sure I agree the use of the term Indians is racist though, but the use as a team name might be.  I knew a guy who said he was a Viking, he'd drink from a horn and everything, really weird, but would that also be considered racist?  Is Trump offended by the Syracuse mascot?  For sure the Washington R's needed to change their name, that was ridiculous for too long, I wonder if the Braves need to go if the Indians go? 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

love