love

Author Topic: First Cow  (Read 767 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
First Cow
« on: August 11, 2020, 12:54:20 AM »
Wasn't really going to post here since I don't see much enthusiasm for this film in this forum, but listening to The Last Picture Show's take on First Cow, I do wonder: Anyone want to go on a limb and say this is a low-key gay romance? I thought of Beau Travail a little after seeing this film, although in the Denis picture Galoup is masking his homosexuality with over-the-top toxic masculinity, whereas Reichardt's portrayal goes the opposite direction with two more sexually ambiguous, "softer" male characters whose personas are deeply contrasted with the overt masculinity of the frontier. I mention Beau Travail because it's only an LGBTQ+ film by inference, and I think if one jumps on the final dance scene , it may say more about the way that person makes assumptions about what is/is not LGBTQ+ than it does about what is actually classifiable as LGBTQ+. That said, is there something in the subtext of First Cow that could make it such an LGBTQ+ film by inference?

Also, of course, any other thoughts on the film would be welcomed as well. I loved it and wouldn't mind engaging in more discussion on it.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: First Cow
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:11:53 PM »
They didn't mention it on Filmspotting, which seemed strange to me, but it did have aspects of Old Joy and I felt like, at least on Cookie's end, there was something there besides just Great Male Friendship. Mentioned it in the Respond thread, and I think Bondo didn't rule it out either. I think it's definitely there, and was surprised that I didn't see more mention of it on Letterboxd or in other actual reviews/articles I scanned after watching.

As for the lack of discussion around it, I assume the release 'strategy' it found itself in because of the pandemic really hurt it. During early platform this thing seemed to really be hitting a viewership and financial level of success that Reichardt hasn't found before.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: First Cow
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:43:05 PM »
I think they both sort of assume traditional romantic roles formerly called "gender roles", ala the more dominant and more submissive, as well. Again, that's applying a bit of old-fashioned thinking, but this does portray the old American frontier. I think it might have been more visible on Cookie's end because he comes across as more vulnerable, being in the more submissive position.

The release mess certainly hurt it. I wonder if holding out until late 2020 seem untenable because of the uncertainty surrounding the virus and the added competition with the award season films coming out. I'm guessing 2021 would've made it tricky for year-end considerations, though I don't know if that matters or not.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

love