Author Topic: Palm Springs  (Read 1974 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Palm Springs
« on: July 17, 2020, 04:51:18 AM »
Haven't seen it, but I know some of you have.

So is it just, like, another Groundhog Day? Are we being offered anything different as far as form, storytelling, philosophy go? I'm put off just by Andy Samberg being involved. So, perspectives? I don't care if you ruin part/all of it, hence creating a post in the Spoiler Edition area.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Palm Springs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:01:28 AM »
It's as different as Edge of Tomorrow or Happy Death Day. Palm Springs takes a small slice of Groundhog Day, which probably covers years of Phil Connors existence, and explores that, which does go deep into different territory. I'm not big on Andy Samberg as a leading man either, but he doesn't hurt the film at all while Cristin Milioti does all the heavy lifting and J.K. Simmons steals scenes.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »
I think it starting well within Samberg's loop sets it apart from Groundhog's Day, though do think it also withholds a reveal/plays intentionally coy with it in a way I still don't fully like, and agree that Bondo's counterpoint is valid, but also still don't care for how the epilogue is included/presents itself.

Hit and miss on Samberg, though I've mostly come around to him post-That's My Boy and think he brings a good energy to the role.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »
One of my favorite aspects of this movie is that they break out of the time loop through science instead of some form of objective morality. There is no lesson because there is no higher being. We are alone. Sometimes bizarre anomalies occur. That's it.

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:27 AM »
Were they hinting at the idea that the old lady (grandmother of the bride?) who came up to compliment Samberg's speech was also stuck in a time loop? She had a line in the scene where she was complimenting Sarah that struck me as odd.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »
One of my favorite aspects of this movie is that they break out of the time loop through science instead of some form of objective morality. There is no lesson because there is no higher being. We are alone. Sometimes bizarre anomalies occur. That's it.

OK, seen it. Find the breaking out through science to be incredibly suspect. Since you're dealing with theoretical physics on a level no one has ever experienced and an amateur scientist at best is breaking them out, the fact that it works the way it does is hard to swallow. Outside of some of the more forced SNL-level goofiness (and to me "SNL" has a very negative connotations), that is probably the worst part of the movie.

I do agree with the no higher being, we're alone, gotta figure out own shit out and make this planet decent as can be. I actually really liked the film. I think it falls into too many romcom tropes and isn't remarkable enough in its cinematography for it to be anything beyond max-very good, but I was into it, beginning to end.

Like FLY said, I do like that it starts out well into Nyles' loop, and the manner in which key points are revealed is masterful. I think Andy Samberg actually acquits himself quite well and Milioti's performance is good, but kind of a lay-up considering she's the conscientious, smart, however flawed female character that's meant to be admired. I like Simmons a lot here. The scene where we meet his family is a defining scene of the film for me. That, and...dinosaurs. He's far from a favorite all-time actor and I don't get why he's got a Best of Decade nomination for the rather simple, one note, intense, intense, INTENSE role in the meh Whiplash, but he has an excellent turn as a supporting actor here.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
The film already got you to suspend disbelief for a time loop - now you're suspect that they couldn't figure out how to break it despite having an infinite number of days devoted to research?

Ok.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 01:05:55 AM »
Thank you for rephrasing what I said in a way that would then make it sound preposterous in comparison to your interpretation.

Now, my sensible response: The time loop is imposed by a mysterious force, some sort of time space anomaly, or, you know, by the writer and director. We are mysteriously on the third planet from the sun somehow surviving and evolving from single-cell organisms, I mean, just to be alive you have to suspend disbelief. But when a particular individual discovers the secret to the externally imposed conundrum by watching videos and talking to other mortal beings who have no practical experience with the substance with which they're working, yes, that is the unbelievable part. The time loop is a mystery, a person taking on that mystery and solving it with our current information is not going to happen, especially on the first try (although I guess they might've died otherwise? Which might have been a more believable ending.)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 06:29:23 AM »
CINECAST! theoretical physicists, amirite? Speaking about things in principle because they can't actively observe/test their theories.

I feel like you are taking the physics stuff too seriously, thinking it has to make perfect sense when it is ultimately just a device. But I guess since you didn't really buy into the romcom/philosophical questions there wasn't enough outside the pbysics to distract you.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »
All I know is that if I'm stuck forever in a time loop with a woman, I want it to be the woman who spends an absurd amount of time learning theoretical physics so we can end the time loop.

Also, don't most time loop stories end with some arbitrary narrative or thematic realization? Why is it absurd that a character would use actual science to end the time loop?

love