love

Author Topic: MLB 2020  (Read 2473 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
MLB 2020
« on: July 26, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »
Well the 60 game sprint has begun and after a weekend of games, nothing seems certain.  I half expect a couple of teams to get infected and be out and the season will end as quickly as it came.  Still was fun to see some live games, the Yankees are healthy but pitching struggles still ongoing.  The runner on base to begin extra inning have already cost the Tribe and the Angels games (as did some suspect relief pitching) and is starting to create a little controversy.  The Reds have some interesting new players like Senzel and I think Shogo is going to be a solid top of the lineup hitter, if only he can get better against lefties.  Mookie with the Dodgers expect to contend, but we'll see they tend to break people's hearts and Ryu is now a Blue Jay--also how about the lettuce on Dustin May!  Blue Jays have lots of young names as do the White Sox, I think this year will be a good one for Eloy Jimenez and Luis Robert, both could be perennial all-stars and leaders in HRs. In the short spring break I saw Altuve and Springer getting beaned "on accident" I wonder if they will hit all time highs in HBP after the trash can fiasco.

I do like how they are kneeling for the national anthem and teams like the Red Sox putting up the BLM banner in their OF. I imagine football will do something similar, though to much more national attention since they are the darling of American sports. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: MLB 2020
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 06:13:08 PM »
With all that analysis...tell me about my D-backs!

What do you think about the national anthem in sports. I watch a lot of European soccer, and the only time you see anthems is during international competition, when obviously the anthems for each time are played. That system makes the most sense to me.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 06:27:20 PM »
D-Backs are still rebuilding, Gallen struggled a bit today with too many walks/hits, though he's young and should develop into a solid middle of the rotation guy.  Ketel is a great player, had a terrific season last year, Escobar is not terrible, I'm trying to think of what I know about them.  Archie Bradley should be a reliable closer, his numbers aren't eye popping but he's pretty reliable. Still it will be a few more years before Arizona comes back.

As to the national anthem, its hard for me to say because there is a major connection with the game and the anthem, I mean people joke around saying play ball at the end of it when its used in non-baseball contexts.  Though I would say that does make sense because is it really necessary to play it before every game, even with only currently one international team.  European soccer is interesting to me the way there are a million teams and relegation and home town squads with home grown talent, baseball is very different with so many Hispanic players from places like the DR and Cuba starting to dominate the game. So to me it would make more sense that as it has become more international to move away from using the American anthem. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
Fun fact: At the conclusion of the Mets-Braves game, every team in the league will be 2-1 or 1-2.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 01:32:38 AM »
D-Backs are still rebuilding, Gallen struggled a bit today with too many walks/hits, though he's young and should develop into a solid middle of the rotation guy.  Ketel is a great player, had a terrific season last year, Escobar is not terrible, I'm trying to think of what I know about them.  Archie Bradley should be a reliable closer, his numbers aren't eye popping but he's pretty reliable. Still it will be a few more years before Arizona comes back.

After we had Marte for like 30 games, I was screaming to the heavens, this dude is GOOD! Watching him blow up has been a true pleasure. I think maybe I have to start tuning in. I used to be a D-back junkie, but fell of a little last season. Going to the park is way better than watching it on TV, obviously, and that's not possible, right? This shows how far removed I am. I could probably Google all this, but your explanations are better lol.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
The last time there was no team to start 3-0 AND no team to start 0-3 was 1953. Weird season already.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »
With EVERY game having weight, plus COVID era living and all of the other modern stressors of today’s society, I imagine that mentally - this shortened season could be a mental/emotional meat grinder for the teams.
It could be an intense two months.
Hey, nice marmot!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
Two games already cancelled today due to COVID. It was nice to have baseball while it lasted.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »
Yeah that was the worry from the beginning on how this would play out, especially if entire teams go down, hopefully this is just a minor hiccup...does not bode well for the NBA or the NFL if MLB can't get it done because there seems to be less contact in baseball than basketball or football

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
MLS doing pretty well so far. *fingers crossed*

love