Author Topic: MLB 2020  (Read 2400 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: MLB 2020
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 02:45:39 AM »
MLS doing pretty well so far. *fingers crossed*

Soccer/Football in general, no? Imagine if we had an EPL restart and it was cancelled because all of Man City's players tested positive for Covid. Only lol because it didn't happen.

D-backs opened up 1-3 in 4 against the Padres. Is San Diego good now? I know they had a bangin' farm system, then signed Machado, but besides that, I don't know much. Now we got the Rangers twice and the Dodgers 3 times (and yes, I use "we" for my teams, it's a habit that I can't break. I know I don't play for them. I sucked as baseball.).
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 05:50:31 AM »
Admittedly, two teams got sent home from the MLS Is Back tournament at the start, but that was the protocols working. They haven't seen spread within the bubble. Whether they can continue on with the regular season after the tournament will be the big question.

I wasn't really counting abroad because they have better population numbers so it is slightly easier.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »
Is San Diego good now? I know they had a bangin' farm system, then signed Machado, but besides that, I don't know much.

They are an up and coming good team. The farm system is finally making its way to the majors. By no means a favorite to make the playoffs necessarily, but they should start contending year in year out now. Exciting young players that are fun to watch on that team, like Fernando Tatis Jr.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 09:55:21 AM »
I was really excited about the Padres coming into this season, especially with a new coach. Their young starting pitching staff should be fun to watch for a while now.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »
Tatis Jr is an incredible young talent, I got to see a bunch of him in San Antonio before he made the climb up to the big club. Tatis and Naylor are really good players and it is great to see them continue to shine on the Padres.  The pitching is exciting and young, Cal Quantrill (another San Antonio Mission) and McKenzie Gore are projected to be great pitchers and they have done well in the minors.  It was really nice to see Dinelson have a solid start, he's a high-K guy but gives up a lot of bombs which is normal for a hard thrower.  It is really hard to say who is going to be good in this 60 game sprint, all the big teams could get sick (or the whole league for that matter) and really all you need is to go on a run and with expanded playoffs everyone really has a chance. Hosmer is a solid vet and the other young guys like Ty France and the everlasting prospect Wil Myers could make for a decent team this season. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2020, 07:15:56 AM »
Is Phillies/Marlins quarantine a blip, or a sign of things to come for the rest of the season?

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 01:36:33 PM »
Unfortunately, it is likely a sign of things to come, it just doesn't make sense the way they decided to go forward with this to make it without exposing everyone. Their initial idea (that the NBA is undertaking) of creating a bubble where everyone was living in hotels in one area and playing games, like in Arizona where they have enough parks to play everyone, would have worked better. As it is now you have too many people traveling around and it will be impossible to regulate everyone from staying in, using PPE, etc.  I don't want it to be doomed because I am so happy it is back, but I just don't see how they can pull this off with as many games as they play. Unlike soccer/football where they only play once a week or every few days, get tested and get the results before playing again, where in the same time frame a baseball team has played multiple games against potentially multiple teams and if someone is positive everyone now has been exposed.
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 06:46:55 PM »
The bubble works. NHL, NBA, MLS, no positive tests. NFL should take note if it wants to have a season.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:58 AM »
Unfortunately, it is likely a sign of things to come, it just doesn't make sense the way they decided to go forward with this to make it without exposing everyone. Their initial idea (that the NBA is undertaking) of creating a bubble where everyone was living in hotels in one area and playing games, like in Arizona where they have enough parks to play everyone, would have worked better. As it is now you have too many people traveling around and it will be impossible to regulate everyone from staying in, using PPE, etc.  I don't want it to be doomed because I am so happy it is back, but I just don't see how they can pull this off with as many games as they play. Unlike soccer/football where they only play once a week or every few days, get tested and get the results before playing again, where in the same time frame a baseball team has played multiple games against potentially multiple teams and if someone is positive everyone now has been exposed.

The Arizona idea kind of intrigued me, but goodness you do not want to be playing baseball outdoors here in July-August-September. I'm in the midst of what looks to be a ten-day 110-degree-plus stretch. The D-backs don't even play outside. I wonder what their electricity bill looks like in the summer.

NFL will definitely be interesting. Now that the Cardinals have some hope for the future, I don't want to see the rebuild get setback! But obviously, health first, especially with the stuff that's coming out about permanent damage to vital organs even if it doesn't kill you right away.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »
My excitement for the Brewers home opener has been significantly dulled. :-/

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad