love

Author Topic: MLB 2020  (Read 2368 times)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
Re: MLB 2020
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2020, 01:07:46 PM »
Yeah now the Cards are suffering a setback and cancelled games, does not look good
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2020, 03:40:08 AM »
The wild thing is, I think sports have been fairly progressive and prudent when it comes to restarting. The bubbles, delays, no fans, etc., would make you think they'd be fine. But they're not. Just shows how real this virus is.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »
UFC has been alright for the most part from what I can tel, but that's also one on one, so you're not having nearly as many potential risks as you would in baseball. Figure it's still largely on the MLB, as (with maybe the exception of MLS) that's the sport where players are pretty distant on the field for large stretches of time just by the very nature of the game. Way larger rosters than you'll get in NBA though, which, as was said earlier, seems to make the prospect of the NFL feel even more dicey if they continue down the path they seem to be headed.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »
Dodgers becoming the new Evil Empire.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 07:46:10 PM »

pixote

I mean, they weren't already? Except, I guess you need to win championships to be an empire.

MLB needs a salary cap. The D-backs have a championship, but they won't get another with baseball like this. The only way for them is/was the moneyball strategy, and now, as far as statistics go, there is really nothing new under the sun. The team is bad now because they wouldn't spend the money to keep JD Martinez or pay Paul Goldschmidt or Patrick Corbin (who was pitching well for us at the time), and they were already spending far less than the Dodgers. If we can't even spend a third of the Dodgers (It's 225M vs. 66M right now), what's the point? Still love 'em, but the possibility of contending seems so remote. You either cheat or market size becomes destiny.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »
Houston needed a title one way or another. Killer Bs should have won all those years ago.

I doubt MLB ever gets a salary cap that is meaningful, especially not with the balloon contracts some players get. Phillies seem to be spending now, interesting to see if it pays off for them.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2021, 05:37:18 PM »

pixote

Hey that's ma team...
Hey, nice marmot!