7 (43.8%)
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
6 (37.5%)
Toy Story 3
2 (12.5%)
The Wind Rises
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: 2010s: A Decade of Filmspots - Animation Bakeoff  (Read 13525 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2010s: A Decade of Filmspots - Animation Bakeoff
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »
I find the lack of Tintin and Winnie the Pooh love disturbing. Ya'll need more joy in your lives.

I mean, they are definitely in my top-50.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 07:59:37 PM »
How were they nominated?
These were the 50 films nominated across the Decade of Filmspots.

For different awards, or...? I'm not trying to pester you, I honestly don't think I understand the response.

If you go here you can see the results for every category in the history of the Filmspots. Like with the rest of the Decade of Filmspots, there were 5 films a year during the 2010s nominated for Best Animated Film. 50 films total.

We decided to take this different approach with Animated films and Documentaries because most (but not all) of them were only nominated in this one category and it would've added to the workload tremendously for people wanting to fill in unseen titles.

Got it, thank you.  :)
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
I find the lack of Tintin and Winnie the Pooh love disturbing. Ya'll need more joy in your lives.

To sound really refined in my taste...I just thought Tintin was boring. And I'm with Teproc, the only Pooh movie I knew about from this decade before this post was Christopher Robin (for which I have a giant-sized weak spot).

If you liked Christopher Robin for the same reasons I did (its ability to capture what made the original tales so melancholically pleasant), you'll love the little 63 minute 2011 animated movie. It's great. As for your Tintin slander, I have nothing to say. Not everybody can have my impeccable taste.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2020, 01:32:36 AM »
You're the perfect person to argue against the "bored" criticism, I'm sure you have that thing sliced apart, every angle covered. But I won't like, I know we have a lot of good conversations here, and I try to rise above gut reactions, but sometimes I feel like a movie is boring or dumb or whatever. And then I interrogate that feeling to see what I come up with, but sometimes you just start and end there.

Sounds like we're similar on Christopher Robin, it's all about mood and character building (or rebuilding, recontextualizing) that did it for me. Ewan McGregor did the titular role justice, too. But the assortment of characters bound together by their geography and not a whole lot else in terms of personality or ideology is a pretty hopeful thing. I did have the fortune of living in a place where neighbors just talked to each other as a kid, regardless of political differences. Not exactly the Hundred Acre Wood, but very much a community. All's to say, the Pooh is the #1 priority here.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2020, 01:59:08 AM »
32 to go! :D

Animated movies and documentaries typically are my two least watched categories in the Filmspot Awards and counting all the 13 editions I am now at 40% in the two disciplines (funnily enough there are 39 movies each yet to see in each category).

The following movies is my temporary selection:
  • Tower
  • Kubo And The Two Strings
  • Isle Of Dogs
  • World Of Tomorrow
  • Ralph Breaks The Internet
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2020, 07:49:49 AM »
You're the perfect person to argue against the "bored" criticism, I'm sure you have that thing sliced apart, every angle covered. But I won't like, I know we have a lot of good conversations here, and I try to rise above gut reactions, but sometimes I feel like a movie is boring or dumb or whatever. And then I interrogate that feeling to see what I come up with, but sometimes you just start and end there.

Sounds like we're similar on Christopher Robin, it's all about mood and character building (or rebuilding, recontextualizing) that did it for me. Ewan McGregor did the titular role justice, too. But the assortment of characters bound together by their geography and not a whole lot else in terms of personality or ideology is a pretty hopeful thing. I did have the fortune of living in a place where neighbors just talked to each other as a kid, regardless of political differences. Not exactly the Hundred Acre Wood, but very much a community. All's to say, the Pooh is the #1 priority here.

Glad to hear the second part. On the first part, sadly my only analysis is that I find it to be immensely fun. It's about as thought-stopping as "boring," which is why I decided on snark in my previous post. I can't go to the mat for it the way I do for other movies, at least not off the dome. But, once again, you've tricked me into rewatching a movie I already love, so maybe I'll report back with some grand thoughts later on.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2020, 07:18:28 PM »
Tintin is one of the very few good films Spielberg has directed, in a career of trash.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 07:25:49 PM »
See, FLY gets it!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »
Who let the FLY out of his cage?  ;)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
The ones I still need to see:

Song of the Sea (I think?)
My Life as a Zucchini (I know)
Loving Vincent (idc)
The Illusionist (idc)

Maybe Shaun The Sheep as well? But I am pretty sure I watched that. Couldn't make it through the new one on Netflix, that ani studio is pretty terrible.

As for what my top five is atm? FLY'm not too sure, but a quick glance likely has it as:

1. Wolf Children Ame & Yuki
2. Frozen
3. Summer Wars
4. Your Name
5. Anomalisa

Others in strong contention: Frankenweenie, Inside Out, Rango, Kells, Arrietty (might have to make room for this one, highly overlooked), and World Of Tomorrow.