7 (43.8%)
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
6 (37.5%)
Toy Story 3
2 (12.5%)
The Wind Rises
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: 2010s: A Decade of Filmspots - Animation Bakeoff  (Read 13522 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: 2010s: A Decade of Filmspots - Animation Bakeoff
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2020, 01:33:09 AM »
I like Spider-Verse, but it does fall into superhero tropes, with snappy dialogue
I think I just found our biggest point of difference. Snappy dialogue is my most important and most often under-represented aspect of cinema.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2020, 08:34:03 AM »
Am I the only one who isn't gaming the system with my votes? I just vote for my 5 favorites.

Surprisingly, FLY hasn't been gaming his votes at this point either.

That said, the Frozen support is much appreciated, as it's a masterwork, but also keep in mind that Inside Out is easily the best thing to ever come out of Pixar.

Me neither

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2020, 08:39:28 AM »
I haven't voted for Spider-Man yet because of how much love it got so I could keep Rango in the running. That's really the only gaming I've done since I think Spider-Man is better than Rango but love both films.
Correction: I shifted my vote to what my actual top 5 would be after Rango fell off.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Am I the only one who isn't gaming the system with my votes? I just vote for my 5 favorites.

Surprisingly, FLY hasn't been gaming his votes at this point either.

That said, the Frozen support is much appreciated, as it's a masterwork, but also keep in mind that Inside Out is easily the best thing to ever come out of Pixar.

This was not a way of saying to vote for Inside Out instead of Frozen. Vote for both!

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2020, 12:30:39 AM »
I like Spider-Verse, but it does fall into superhero tropes, with snappy dialogue
I think I just found our biggest point of difference. Snappy dialogue is my most important and most often under-represented aspect of cinema.

I think it definitely is. It works for me in particular situations (I'd say there's some pretty snappy dialogue in the Ralph movies, for example), but it's when it sticks out as fishing for laughs or being a little too obvious or unnatural, that it starts to distract me. That's not an argument for naturalism in everything, more an argument against what I perceive as a too-heightened level of artificiality ruining a good story and making it feel shallower than what it may have been with a little more restraint. It's also an issue I have in the comics I read, which is why I'm fairly averse to superhero comics, usually unless they're written by a crossover writer who made their name in indie comics (sort of like a Ryan Coogler, Taika Waititi, or a Chloe Zhao crossing over into the MCU). Then, I go title by title, because (much like I think we'll see with superhero movies), just coming from the indie scene doesn't mean their superhero stuff is good.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2020, 09:48:08 AM »
Snappy dialogue is something I miss from modern films as you had a lot of classic Hollywood films with just zinger after zinger. They don't make films that come close to the screwball comedies of that era.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2020, 10:16:17 AM »
TONIGHT At Midnight EST (9P Pacific) we may be saying goodbye to...
Frozen
How To Train Your Dragon
Mary and Max
The Secret of Kells
Song of the Sea
Toy Story 4

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2020, 12:41:50 PM »
I really wish Kells could move forward. I suppose I should maybe move my vote for it to Song of the Sea, just to keep Tomm Moore alive, but I'm not sure I can convince myself to do so.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »
I really wish Kells could move forward. I suppose I should maybe move my vote for it to Song of the Sea, just to keep Tomm Moore alive, but I'm not sure I can convince myself to do so.

pixote
Two weeks ago people were getting into the spirit of moving votes to abandon sinking ships and support candidates, but this week I'm seeing a general feeling of just voting for favorites and let the chips fall where they may. Is it a growing apathy for the project? Is it going on too long?

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2020, 02:21:47 PM »
Is it a growing apathy for the project? Is it going on too long?

I can only speak for myself, but no apathy here. But the fewer choices there are, the fewer ships there are to jump to. For me right now, it's:

Frozen
How To Train Your Dragon
Mary and Max
The Secret of Kells
Song of the Sea
Toy Story 4

This round, I'm likely to lose two films I've been voting from since the beginning, but I don't have two other choices I can jump to with enthusiasm. If Song of the Sea survives till the next round, I'll likely vote for it there; but it's hard to make that choice before I absolutely have to.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad