Author Topic: Top 5 Live Action Films You'd Remake in Animation  (Read 1231 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Top 5 Live Action Films You'd Remake in Animation
« on: August 20, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
Personally, I think the live action remakes of animated Disney classics shows a gigantic disregard for the art of animation. I have yet to see one of these movies live up to or exceed the artistry of the original animated film. There's an almost knee-jerk reaction in western civilization to see animation as the lesser art form than live action when I would likely argue the reverse since budgets often tell you what you can or cannot do in live action cinema. Animation can still do more than what live action could ever do.

So I propose to you filmspotting forum community: what live action films would you like to see in animation? Do a Top 5, 10, 20, whatever. Also, feel free to specify what kind of animation - be it completely computer generated, hand-drawn, claymation, stop motion, anime, a mixture - whatever.

-

1. CLOUD ATLAS - With six different timelines, you can do six different animation styles. Perhaps the Slave ship storyline is done in black and white hand-drawn like old school Disney or WB cartoons while Neo-Seoul is done in hyper realistic CGI like THE LAST OF US.

2. YOJIMBO - Claymation. I know KUBO & THE TWO STRINGS exists, but I don't think it reached the heights of the genre.

3. BLADE RUNNER - Anime. Cut the rape scene too.

4. THE BIG LEBOWSKI - Experimental animation... perhaps it changes scene from scene. Something like SHREK RETOLD. It has a stoner legacy so it should receive a stoner overlay.

5. The entirety of the HARRY POTTER series - Hear me out: the live action adaptations are extremely inconsistent on a visual level so the remake series would at least have that going for it. Additionally, the FX will get dated (if it hasn't already) and the animation style of the various book cover art and chapters is what we all originally saw in our heads.

-

Of course, many of these examples are off the top of my head... I would love to hear from the community!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:47:58 PM by Will »

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Top 5 Live Action Films You'd Remake in Animation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:17:12 PM »
I love this idea. And Cloud Atlas is a great choice.

Sunshine - the colors could be pushed to the max, and I think the stylistic shift of the last act would be more easily tolerated in animation.

I feel like you could pull any of Wes Anderson's movies into his claymation style. Since it already has some, let's just say Moonrise Kingdom to pick one.

I'd love to see a Nightmare on Elm Street movie animated. The ability to slip between worlds and then introduce dream-like major shifts would really suit that franchise. Say Dream Warriors for extra goodness.

On a similar note, The Thing with hand-drawn monsters would knock my socks off.

Maybe something like Playtime? The Illusionist was a delight, proof that you can do that kind of thing in animation.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Telegram Sam

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 02:59:27 PM »

1 Phantom Menace - you could match the kids ages to better foreshadow a romance, fix problematic performances, replace those stupid Jedi dressing gowns with cool costumes and implement the 200 or so improvements people have put forward over the years.

2 Other assorted Lucasfilms - Willow, Solo, Labyrinth, Howard the Duck all could be improved.

3 L’il Abner - this stage play seems like an episode of Hee Haw. The comic strip ( the years I read ) was like an erotic Twilight Zone.

4 Song Remains the Same - was shot like a budget seventies horror. It should have been that decade’s Yellow Submarine.

5. Midsummer Night’s Dream - there is lots of room for magical imagery

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »
5. The entirety of the HARRY POTTER series - Hear me out: the live action adaptations are extremely inconsistent on a visual level so the remake series would at least have that going for it. Additionally, the FX will get dated (if it hasn't already) and the animation style of the various book cover art and chapters is what we all originally saw in our heads. 

Love this one... one of the primary benefits I see is that it gets around the issue of finding children to play the roles and be good and be good at acting. When your story is as filled will children as the Harry Potter series you're really rolling the dice on the performances you're going to be able to get. What we got from Radcliffe and company was acceptable, but certainly had highs and lows. An animated portrayal of the characters would imo be able to smooth out the inconsistencies.

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 11:44:14 AM »
You might be interested in knowing they did some anime short films around the release of Blade Runner 2049.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 01:05:33 AM »
This is a really good one, though I also kind of think that the more obvious sci-fi/fantasy ones wouldn't come off, and we'd just be griping about a second-rate product that can never live up to the original, just like we do with animated films that are turned into live action films. I think it's less that there's a disrespect for animation in creating the live-action remakes, and that they are more a bottom-line consideration. I'm going to go with some that either have some dream sequences that could be interesting in animation, or are just bizarre enough that they'd be fascinating to see animated. Some of these could be ripe for rotoscoping.

5. The Big Lebowski
4. Abre Los Ojos / Vanilla Sky
3. Lost in Translation (gotta keep the original soundtrack to keep the dreamy vibe...and maybe get rid of the icky kiss at the end)
2. Fanny and Alexander (more like an animated series)
1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Maybe something like Playtime? The Illusionist was a delight, proof that you can do that kind of thing in animation.

I thought of this when I looked back at my Blu-Rays. Yes!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 11:20:44 PM »
Great idea!

The whole of Mary Poppins could be animated.  I think that would improve it all.
Pina, but rotoscoped with psychedelic backgrounds.
Sunrise: Story of Two Humans Colors would add to the different moods.  Other b and w would be improved as well.  Perhaps 7th Heaven?
Kieslowski's Color Trilogy, or if that's too ambitious, just The Double Life of Veronique.

In addition, some directors I'd like to see do animation: Kelly Reichardt, Wong Kar-Wai.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

love