love

Poll

Which film best reminds you of High School?

American Graffiti
1 (6.3%)
Dazed and Confused
2 (12.5%)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
2 (12.5%)
Sixteen Candles
0 (0%)
The Breakfast Club
1 (6.3%)
Heathers
0 (0%)
Say Anything
0 (0%)
House Party
1 (6.3%)
Clueless
1 (6.3%)
10 Things I Hate About You
1 (6.3%)
Mean Girls
1 (6.3%)
Superbad
1 (6.3%)
Easy A
0 (0%)
The Edge of Seventeen
0 (0%)
Lady Bird
0 (0%)
other (ie. Carrie, Rushmore, Juno, Risky Business, Friday Night Lights)
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Your High School Movie  (Read 1863 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: Your High School Movie
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 07:13:15 AM »
Well, these are all American and American High School is an intensely weird thing that has precious little to do with how high school works here it seems, so none of those... but my highschool years were supremely uneventful, so I can't think of any film really, because you know, films tend to have things that happen in them.

I guess out of those The Breakfast Club might be it, because detention is a thing here too, and people forcefully defining themselves through how others look at them is as well.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 11:48:29 AM »
CAN'T HARDLY WAIT meets FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 11:59:06 AM »
My HS experience was not cinematic. Though I suppose based on the perception of my HS in the city, Clueless?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »
I just picked my favorite/the best one, which is Superbad, though Edge Of Seventeen is also fantastic.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 08:30:56 PM »
Everyone knows you actually went to FLYschool. 8)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »
I believe that the U.S. high school experience differs a little from that in Sweden, but these days maybe less than I want to think? Anyway, watching these movies in a way is a bit like watching animals at the zoo. The vote goes to American Graffiti which is the only film in the collection that I saw at the appropriate age. For those who specializes in the genre the book Teen Movie Hell seems like a goldmine.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 03:23:09 AM »
So is Election canceled? I might've liked that more than Cruel Intentions. It might be kind of evil and problematic in retrospect, but what did I know at 17?
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
I don't cancel. Election isn't included because it's a cast of specific characters in this one comedy and not an attempt to capture high school life in that moment in time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 08:53:14 AM by 1SO »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 02:36:33 AM »
I don't cancel. Election isn't included because it's a cast of specific characters in this one comedy and not an attempt to capture high school life in that moment in time.

Election is 100% a high school movie. It is a satire of high school even as it simultaneously satirizes politics. It examines various high school archetypes, as well as high school as a formative experience. While Gen X may have been the MTV generation, this is an MTV production that felt specially made for us born just a little later.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2021, 01:51:53 AM »
My high school years hit that era of Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles, Fast Times maybe being the year before and Say Anything just after. Not sure how much they relate to my experience but they all hold true some elements of school in that era and I can enjoy each of them, maybe Fast Times gets my vote
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman