love

Author Topic: Low-key GREAT Purchases  (Read 2384 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Low-key GREAT Purchases
« on: September 09, 2020, 01:03:08 AM »
Dollar-for-dollar your best purchases. I'm thinking those sneaky good things you didn't think a ton about when you bought them, but ended up being wonderful, crucial, dare I say indispensable?

Could also add your worst purchases, too, if you dare. But let's focus on the positive.

If I'm gonna live in consumerist culture, I might as well be good at it...

JVC Over the Ear Headphones - I own a lot of pairs of headphones for a lot of different purposes (gaming, studio monitor, music listening at home, all purpose wired headphones, and now these), and these are about as no frills as you get, but the sound is surprisingly strong and clear, and most music sounds pretty good, though I use them a lot for podcasts when walking the dogs and for calls (GREAT on calls). Will probably be my go-to for travel as well. They also don't really heat my ears up even when it's 100 degrees out, so they could be used for a light workout. $37 on Amazon

LED Neck Light - I like this better than an overhead reading lamp, and when moving stuff around I don't really have to plan for a bedside lamp. Great reading light, of course. I use it around the house at night, though, when I'm reading, not just in bed.$18.99 on Amazon
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Low-key GREAT Purchases
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
This came in handy to use with an extra amp and speakers I had.  Set it up on the back porch so can have music streamed from my phone when hanging out in the back.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »
Definitely my Yeezys. The most comfortable shoes I have ever owned and it's not even close. Can't wait to try for a few more upcoming pairs, especially a 380 since I hear those are the most comfortable. The slides too are good, though are the first pair of slides I have ever had to 'break in' and also don't come in half sizes, which pisses me off. Still not sure what I'll do with my soot pair, but probs hold those unless I can get three bills for my used resin.

Will have to think of the other ones, but the Zojirushi thermos is probs up there as well.

EDIT: Also the Crater Converse I got on sale from FootLocker. Not my ideal colorway of them, but they're way more comfortable than I expected compared to my other pair of Chucks I got at the outlet, use the crater tech since it's in partnership with Nike, and the smart packaging to at least make me feel like I'm doing a little good for the environment. But functionally too, they're way more comfortable to wear, when I mostly just got them because I missed out on the early Space Hippie releases and wanted to replace my outlet Chucks that I would use for leg days/squats at the gym. These I can wear at the gym and around, so the versatility is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:43:20 PM by FLYmeatwad »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 05:26:56 PM »
jdc - That just looks pretty. Even if I can't afford much in the way of tube amps, I do like to look at them. They'd make good MOMA pieces. I actually just got the following for my computer, which has worked out so far, and IS a MOMA piece...and punches a pretty good stereo sound for the price point...

On the shoe front, let's say my choice is a lot more pragmatic. I am not a super fashionable dude unless I have a date, which is not likely to happen anytime soon...I've had these for like two years, though, and they look good enough and have been surprisingly durable...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:39:03 PM by etdoesgood »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »
I like the look of those Adidas. Got a link or a model number?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 07:03:01 PM »
It is a Bluetooth tube Preamp which was $65 on amazon. It still needs to connect to another amp. A friend helped salvage a defective 7 channel amp I had and built 2 - 2 channel amps out of the working modules
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »
Adidas is the way to go, though I'd for sure try for Nikes if they retro the Air Yeezy in any colorway. Otherwise though, stripes over checks. Tiro is second to none in terms of affordable full leg workout pants, though I am in the market for some Lululemon jogging pants when they hit sale.

Had a great pair of Sennheiser headphones years back, but the prices kept slowly creeping up to make equivalent models less of a value now, and all the ones I've replaced them with have given out in about 1.5 years max. Plus no more headphone jacks. The bluetooth ones I bought on Amazon were reasonably priced and cheap, though I forget the brand, but it's one of the first recommended ones and I've seen people in Philly with them so probs one of the first results. About 8 to 9 hours of battery life, so I have two pairs to switch off after work and pre-gym, so think they've paid off.

This is the Zojirushi thermos I bought (have the bigger blue twist off one upper right, forget which size it is, as I have had it for a long time now), and highly recommend it. FLY only drinks coffee on Friday and sometimes Sat/Sun, and is WFH now, but I do brew my own and when I'm in the office again eventually it'll be even better, but I still make it at like 730am and by 1pm it's still steaming hot. They do advertise it as lasting longer, but I never tested it out, though have a lot of faith in their products.

EDIT: FLY has also gotten a ton of mileage out of these over the past two summers, even if sometimes your friends like to joke about them before they try them on and realize they are CINECAST!ing sick then end up wearing them the majority of the river trip and even in the mountain cabin at night. Very recommended if you intend to do a Moondog from The Beach Bum cosplay, but then realize you can't find even the base of the hearts Uggs anywhere and that all the outfits were custom made in conjunction with a company that charges a CINECAST!ton for beachwear tropical shit but makes you really begin to understand how great the costume designer is with that film and it should have won a Filmspot. Theoretically, of course, I don't have any experience with that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 07:53:38 PM by FLYmeatwad »

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 10:40:56 PM »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 10:59:35 PM »
Thanks! Do they slip on and off easily?

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 11:37:38 PM »
Thanks! Do they slip on and off easily?

Yeah, pretty easily, but they don't slide too much when you're wearing them. These are the best everyday slip-ons I've owned, and I rarely buy shoes with shoelaces (only athletic shoes, really). At first, I was a little questionable on how long they'd last, the soles didn't seem that tough, but I've gotten 2+ years out of them. I walk on the insides of my feet, thus I usually wear-out the soles on my shoes faster, and I don't think I've owned a pair of shoes for that long outside of beat-up athletic shoes that I've kept around for softball coaching. They are getting closer to needing a replacement, finally starting to wear-out on the inside, but honestly I think I'll buy these again.

This commercial brought to you by...lol..

jdc - a tube Bluetooth preamp for $65 on Amazon...that whole combination is pretty crazy. That's how these things can work, though, I do love me some value.