love

Author Topic: Pre-Shocktober Debate: Are they Horror Films?  (Read 2269 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Pre-Shocktober Debate: Are they Horror Films?
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
Surprised that Under the Skin is controversial here, it's very clearly horror to me. I don't know that Junior's allegory argument is that convincing: while I agree it applies to the film and is a characteristic of the horror genre, it's also a defininig characterisitc of sci-fi. UtS is both in my book, but it comes down to the mood of it, to how it feels. It's certainly on the arthousy side of horror, but I don't see any reason why something like The VVitch would count and not this.

Mother! I'd also consider horror, though I'm a little less firm there. 10 Cloverfield Lane is a thriller with some horror elements, it's on the edge for me. Green Rom is kind of the same though I'd put it on the thriller side, not sure why... maybe because there's nothing supernatural, though I wouldn't argue it's an essential element of horror, so I don't know. Haven't seen the others.

I think Green Room would be the hardest one for me to say qualifies as a horror film then I think something like We Need to Talk about Kevin should qualify, so through it in.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 04:46:15 PM »
Under the Skin, Green Room, Black Swan, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Gerald's Game, KIll List, of the ones I've seen I'd consider horror.

The Skin I Live In and mother!, while they have horror elements, I wouldn't put on my personal horror list.  But I'd be willing to say, "Sure, they can be horror! Why not?"

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:09:03 PM »
But I'd be willing to say, "Sure, they can be horror! Why not?"
This is where I'm at.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 01:15:04 AM »
The Skin I Live In and mother!, while they have horror elements, I wouldn't put on my personal horror list.  But I'd be willing to say, "Sure, they can be horror! Why not?"

This is what I say about most genre discussions in every form of art. I know some films are clearly genre films, but then there are some that are genre films that I feel use genre so metaphorically to get at higher truths that you can then argue them out of being genre films. Not sure I want to throw any examples out there for fear of being eaten up, especially by the folks that have seen more horror movies than I have seen total movies.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »
mother! is a Borror.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Lol, I dunno if I've ever heard anybody call mother! boring.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 11:36:44 PM »
Is Bone Tomahawk horror?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 11:40:27 PM »
Absolutely.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
Is Bone Tomahawk horror?

pixote

Like a well done steak
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »
Ah, interesting. I’m surprised it wasn’t included in the bake-off then. I thought it had more fans around here than something like V/H/S 2 or whatever.

Interesting as well to see Climax mentioned on other best-horror-of-the-decade lists. I’m not sure how I would’ve voted on that one.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad