Author Topic: Tenet  (Read 410 times)

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
Tenet
« on: October 11, 2020, 06:55:38 PM »
The first hour or so of this is, quite possibly, the worst thing Nolan has ever done. Nothing makes sense, the expository scenes are endless, the editing is as confusing as ever, and the characterization is frustratingly reductive (oh joy, another suffering wife in a Nolan movie, what are the odds).

Then he enters the turnstile and things start clicking together. I stopped begrudging the film so much because Nolan is showing the premise rather than telling it. This is great because the premise / core idea is inherently visual. It's also incredibly silly so I don't understand why Nolan is so restrained from indulging in the many creative possibilities he could do with it. Nolan strikes me as a guy who would take out all of the funny character bits in a FAST & FURIOUS so he can exclusively focus on cars. His stuffiness hits an apex with TENET. I doubt the man even knows how to laugh.

etdoesgood

• Elite Member
  • Just like we never said goodbye
Re: Tenet
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 01:21:33 AM »
This film currently takes up the #36 spot of the 36 films I've seen this year. The elements that are supposed to seem "badass", like the bullet shooting back into the gun, seem labored, and he's just way too excited to tell you how these ultimately banal things work. Whether the bullet comes out of or is sucked into the gun, maybe I'm missing the significance, but either way will kill a person. To me, Tenet is Nolan in full embrace of Big, Dumb Entertainment in a way he's approached but never fully indulged before. I know some will take exception to how I characterize it, I just don't find much value in spectacle for the sake of spectacle. You might be right about the humor aspect, but then, with my limited experience with the Fast and Furious franchise, I don't recall laughing all that much. The humor may not have been as forced as the run-of-the-mill MCU film, which, outside of Thor: Ragnarok, are painfully unfunny, but just not funny to me. Glad at least Nolan isn't trying to force levity, which I don't think he'd be good at anyway. The score and sound design make it all the worse, so focused on thumping and yawning bass and rat-tat-tat, there is nothing even somewhat subtle or human about what we're seeing OR hearing. And I braved Covid for THAT.
A desert person.

Simple Distinctions:
The Best  |  Exceptional  |  Favorable  |  Unfavorable  | Bad

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »
It is not all the time loops and confusing world that he has created that took me out of the film.  It was the number of times that they made it seem like it was all for the boy or she mentioned her son as the motivating factor, when after all, the evil genius might possible end all of humanity.  Plus, the most unbelievable seen is when the wife returns back in time near the end (twice inverted?) to distract her husband and he falls for it. There is no moment where you would believe this couple has the slightest chance to emend anything and he could fall something like lets start over and watch the sunset together but he turns into the the biggest simp there ever was. 

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »
I think the worst part of the film is the set piece at the end where dozens of professional paintballers run around an area occasionally shooting into the air at nothing. Nolan's strong desire to stay PG-13 and get as many people in the theatre is starting to get in the way of the product. It gave me Dark Knight Rises vibes.

Will

• Justice for Elijah McClain
    • The Alice Guy Blache Show
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:15 PM »
I think the worst part of the film is the set piece at the end where dozens of professional paintballers run around an area occasionally shooting into the air at nothing. Nolan's strong desire to stay PG-13 and get as many people in the theatre is starting to get in the way of the product. It gave me Dark Knight Rises vibes.

Yeah, Nolan either needs to go R rated again or get silly. Personally, I think it would be fascinating to see Nolan apply everything he's learned into a tight 30 million budget film noir.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 08:20:13 PM »
The best moments in this movie were when things got as un-Nolan-y as possible. The two(?) scenes with bright colors, the few line readings and bits of acting that show some life in these otherwise matter-of-fact characters/exposition delivery devices. I think I had the most fun trying to figure out just how much influence Denzel had on his son's whole deal. There were times when he almost seemed like a clone of 80s/90s Denzel sent forward in time.

Oh, and did Nolan really think he'd get away with rejiggering one of the best closing lines in movie history for the almost-end of this ok movie? Don't remind me of greatness when you can only reach mediocrity!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:54:21 PM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
Oh, and did Nolan really think he'd get away with rejiggering one of the best closing lines in movie history for the almost-end of this ok movie? Don't remind me of greatness when you can only reach mediocrity!

Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 07:29:31 AM »
Lol
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 09:28:19 PM »
Nolan's been accused of being too cold, but Memento, The Prestige and Inception all have plausible emotional grounding for characters. This film has none of that. His characters have truly evolved into merely cogs in his intricate machine. Each of these prior films also has a certain puzzle about it, something that Nolan gets to show off his mastery in keeping every thread free of each other. This one certainly reveals itself to be less knotted than it appears at points, but it definitely feels like too much of a braid at least. Which is a pity because the premise of having forward and reverse timelines is a neat one. I might watch some special features tomorrow to see if there is a neat technical process here, but I didn't really find the film handled the visual display of the time differences that well when things get more chaotic.

And yet, I can't say I hate it.

love