Author Topic: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000  (Read 63106 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Building the Horror/Thriller 1000
« Reply #730 on: March 17, 2024, 06:26:47 PM »
Jason Lives is one I've always liked a lot because it's so damn campy and I think it's intentional. Seems to be the only one to recognize how absurd it is and hit the right comedic tone.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #731 on: March 17, 2024, 07:31:03 PM »
That’s how I feel about Jason X  aka. Jason in Space.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #732 on: March 20, 2024, 11:29:41 PM »
Saw X (2023)
★ ★ ★ - Okay
Somebody took the elements of a Saw film and anchored it with genuine motivation and a remarkably strong lead performance. I gave up on this franchise long ago, but this is the first one I can recommend. It's genuinely fun, if you're okay with an extreme level of blood and guts.
#768 in the Horror/Thriller 1000

Saw X has the positive side effect of making the series better. Reframing it with revenge plots while holding onto the core philosophical idea of using pain to break people down before rebuilding them into someone better. I watched Parts 5-8 for the first time and enjoyed them more than I expected. They're hurt most by focusing on the very bland Costas Mandylor as a cop who goes from hunting Jigsaw to carrying on his work. It's also very easy to get lost in all the time jumping, but I admire the effort to keep the continuity straight even though they made the bold move of killing off their most interesting character. (Tobin Bell embodies Jigsaw like a 2nd skin.)

Saw 2&3 was about throwing together a bunch of jerks so we can take delight in watching them torture themselves and each other. Starting with 4 - and peaking with 6 - the victims are criminals, smart enough to evade the law but unfortunate enough to cross Jigsaw and his followers. They're not wild misfits but outright bad people, and the film always gives them plenty of opportunity to survive. (That's where the redemption comes in.) This is a lot more interesting than the other Horror series I recently watched. Saw X remains my favorite, but I'd put 4-6 and 8 above the direct sequels.

For the list, only the original (#443) and X (now #801) are in the Top 1000, but I expect many titles will rise up over the years, especially if Part 11 can maintain the quality.

1531. Saw 2
1802. Saw 6
2101. Saw 5
2371. Saw 3
2386. Saw 4
2594. Jigsaw
2662. Saw 7 aka. Saw 3D

Still haven't seen Spiral.

My Ranking...
1. Saw X
2. Saw 6
3. Saw 5
4. Saw
5. Saw 4
6. Jigsaw
7. Saw 7
8. Saw 2
9. Saw 3

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #733 on: March 21, 2024, 04:15:01 AM »
So you rank Saw X the highest, but Saw (the original) is much higher in the top 1000 and 5 and 6 (also higher rated than the original) don't make the list. I am confused.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #734 on: March 21, 2024, 03:18:38 PM »
I have the data that goes into the aggregate list THEY SHOOT ZOMBIES. On that list, the original Saw appears on a lot of lists and is still the most highly-rated of the Saw films. For example, on IMDB (to pick the most well-known ratings) Saw 1 is rated 7.6. Saw X is 6.6. Saw 2 is also 6.6.

The Horror/Thriller 1000 weighs my rating against the total results. I give Saw X 3 stars, Saw 2 stars and Saw 2 1.5 stars. I spent awhile looking at the results and found the best balance is when my rating counts for almost 27% of the final rating. It boosts my personal picks without dragging down highly praised films I don’t personally go for.

Saw 4-6 were initially panned but as the series goes on I’m seeing a positive reappraisal and expect them to appear on more lists which will help them climb the rankings.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #735 on: March 21, 2024, 04:01:52 PM »
So it is not just the top 50 that are based on more than your ranking. So that is even more work you are putting into this list than I thought, it is an incredible piece of work.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #736 on: March 21, 2024, 08:19:20 PM »
I rated Saw 3/5 and then just assumed the rest weren’t worth it, which maybe was wrong? The Final Destination series largely kept my attention, in spite diminishing returns, with quality kills. Maybe Saw’s macabre set pieces are similarly enough to hang watchability on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2024, 10:34:34 AM »
So it is not just the top 50 that are based on more than your ranking. So that is even more work you are putting into this list than I thought, it is an incredible piece of work.
It's become my old man hobby. The real work began when I separated out information that updates constantly, like Letterboxd ratings. this allowed me to put new films in as soon as I watched them, but I also check for changes throughout the year, especially with recent films.

I rated Saw 3/5 and then just assumed the rest weren’t worth it, which maybe was wrong?
I have to do a ranked list of Horror film franchises, but Saw is close to the Nightmare on Elm Street series, and definitely more worth your time than Halloween, F13 and Texas Chainsaw.
The story chronology is extremely convoluted with Saw, and I wonder if you can go right to Saw X, which takes place before all the other films. I do know there's one character whose presence ruins a twist in Saw II.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2024, 09:49:08 PM »
I have to do a ranked list of Horror film franchises...
I don't think I can do this. Too many franchises with wildly different amounts of quality. So here is a Ranked list going more on my gut.

1.   The Evil Dead
2.   Romero’s Zombies
3.   V/H/S
4.   Alien
5.   Saw
6.   A Nightmare on Elm Street
7.   Jurassic Park/World
8.   Hammer’s Frankenstein
9.   Scream
10.   The Wolf Man
11.   Child’s Play
12.   Hammer’s Dracula