love

Author Topic: A Filmspotter's Marathon of Filmspotting Marathons  (Read 75786 times)

Teproc

• Elite Member
Re: A Filmspotter's Marathon of Filmspotting Marathons
« Reply #660 on: February 18, 2021, 04:59:47 AM »
Next up: Max Ophüls! No idea what to expect there.

I saw Madame de... last year. It was good, but didn't really move me. I'm assuming it's part of the marathon(?). Will be interesting to see what you make of it.

It's the third film in there, and the whole list is on the first page of this thread btw. ;)

I am a fan of The Marx Brothers and I also like when they're roped in a little, which is heresy for the die-hards who think MGM beat the anarchy out of them. The later MGM films are too slow and tired, but A Night at the Opera is the sweet spot. I used to prefer Duck Soup, but I've shifted over time. The one thing I don't like is in the transition, Harpo goes from being the biggest agent of chaos to the target of the most harsh physical abuse.

Do you mean in subsequent films? Cause the main thing he's doing in A Night at the Opera is constantly wacking Gottlieb with various blunt objects, Looney Tunes-style.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #661 on: February 18, 2021, 03:51:09 PM »
Yeah, common sense definitely eludes me at times. I'm going to try to hit up those Korean auteurs around the time that you tackle them, that's a region I want to explore more. And I've seen all the Rays on the list, yay!
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #662 on: February 18, 2021, 06:46:48 PM »
Best Groucho One-Liner:

"Listen, Gottlieb, nix on the love making. Because, I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first; but, there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this." (A Night at the Opera)

While I've never been a fan of the Marx Brothers, that is a very funny line.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)