Poll

Select the Best

The Act of Killing
6 (46.2%)
Exit Through the Gift Shop
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: 2010s: A Decade of Filmspots - Documentary Bakeoff  (Read 7319 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2010s: A Decade of Filmspots - Documentary Bakeoff
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
I mean, it's definitely not just a filmed performance (though you ultimately get to some of that) but there is still a fair amount of dance once you add in rehearsals. Like, there are segments that are basically business meetings of the ballet, the rehearsal stuff gets a bit more into development of the choreo, costume, staging, so you get a sense of the development process that ends with performance. I'm not a particularly big fan of dance but I was pretty engrossed in this one relative to something like Pina.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 01:31:55 PM »
Okay thanks! I'm running low on my watchlist so maybe I'll check it out.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
I have to check out this La Danse. Pina 3D was surprisingly effective for me, especially with the 3D, as it made me, for brief moments, understand the appeal of this wordless art form, types I typically hate.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
Looking at where things are, it wouldn't do much to only eliminate films with 0 votes. That would be 11 titles and among them I notice Dawson City, which I'm certain philip918 would choose unless he truly has left, and The Interrupters, which makes me think oldkid hasn't selected yet.

If I were to cut films with a single vote as well, that would bake the list down to 24 films. The Horror Bakeoff lost half the options in the first round and Animation lost 16 films.

Still a full week to go.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2020, 08:36:28 PM »
Munchausen-By-Proxy...it’s so hot right now.

She directed one of my favorites but it wasn’t that one.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 10:28:46 AM »
There’s an excellent chance I won’t be able to do the 1st Elimination until Saturday morning.

Still looking like 2 votes will be needed to move on, so anyone who is the sole vote should consider supporting another film or standing their ground. (I have faith someone else will give love to the Roger Ebert doc, but will probably abandon American Factory.)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
Everything I'd feel compelled to support either has 0 votes, 1 vote but it's mine, or 2+ votes, so I guess I'll just leave mine.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »
I will just plead to the other person supporting Won't You Be My Neighbor? not to change their vote! That's one I'd really like to see make at least past one elimination. I actually have been thinking about that doc and Fred Rogers while teaching this week, now that I have a handful of students everyday. Really did change my way of thinking for the better.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Teproc

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2020, 01:39:47 AM »
Rest assured, I do not change my votes. I'm a simple man, I vote for my 5 favorites and I don't try to game the system.
Legend: All-Time Favorite | Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Poor  |  Bad

Letterbox'd

love