love

Author Topic: #144: Top 10 Films of 2006  (Read 16212 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Filmspotting #144: Top 10 Films of 2006
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 11:21:27 AM »
Quote from: "filmspotting-adam"
Just FYI, Alex... thought I'd go ahead and post here... I won't be in Dallas this month after all. Hope to see you sometime down the road.
Well, shit.  I was really looking forward to it.  Aw well.  Maybe sometime in the future.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 11:27:50 AM »
"It's Vantastic!"

"There's an internal music to your acting. I can groove to it"

These quotes made me laugh out loud. Awesome.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
It's funny too... obviously that outtake wasn't planned (they never are, or they wouldn't be outtakes)... but we decided to record ourselves opening the christmas presents we gave to each other as a 'planned improvised' outtake. Might have to put that up at some point, but the Massacre bit was too good to leave off.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 02:01:26 PM »
The outtake kind've gives away massacre theater.  But that's good for me cause I didn't see it.

Anyways, you guys missed the best film of the year.  It is Old Joy.  I've praised it a lot on the boards but it's only because very few people have seen it, but everyone should

Impish

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 07:30:06 PM »
No comments on the top ten lists?  I thought both Adam and Sam did well with theirs.

I didn't see Last King of Scotland, nor Science of Sleep...  the two number 1s!  Must see 'em somehow.  The Proposition never did make it to my area... and it's another I'm dying to see.

My favorite is without question: Shortbus.  The History Boys would be somewhere in the 6-10 range, but otherwise I agree with most of the others.

Well done, guys!
t's a sin to kill a mockingbird

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »
I still am not sure what my feeling on the last king of scotland is... and I guess that says something since I generally know if I liked it or not when I first leave the theater. I am withholding judgement until I see it in a setting more conducive to movie watching (it was one of the in flight movies). I will say I loved the performances, but I am not sure whether the movie is greater or less then the sum of its parts.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Topmounter

• ....sent by grocery clerks.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 01:57:01 AM »
When I heard the Top10 lists, all I could think about was how many movies I still need to see...

The movies that seem to really stick with me are the ones that exceed my expectations, not so much the ones that I expect to be great (The Departed is a good example).   The movies that come to mind that really blew my socks off this year are:

1) Brick
2) Half Nelson
3) Children of Men
4) The Good Shephard
5) Idiocracy
*) Shortbus
*) Bubble

* Honorable Mentions
Topmounter

LMCBoy

• http://www.30doradus.org
Science of Sleep [SPOILER ALERT]
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
I just saw Science of Sleep last night.  This is my kind of film: quirky and unique.

I don't think I'd call it the best film of the year, though, because of the ending.  I just didn't understand why Stephan kept spouting all of these hurtful things to Stephanie.  It struck me as really out of character...not at all like his dreamworld persona.  
(highlight to view spoiler-ish text)

Overall though, an excellent film!  Beautiful and very inventive.  Bravo, Senor Gondry!

PS- My pick for best of the year (with the caveat that I certainly haven't seen all the films I wanted to this year) would probably be The Prestige.  Although, come to think of it, I was let down by the end of that film as well...
MCBoy: Penguin powered

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »
I expect some love given to this on the next 'cast.  I have to represent for mah homies up in Chelsea, knowwhudahmtalkinbout?

Bucho

• Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women.
    • South Pacific Ben on YouTube
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Good show, I'm a sucker for countdowns and the boys pulled it off great. Cool to hear from so many other contributors too. Adam was slightly off the mark when he said there were no 2 vs 4 star reviews in each of their tens though, it seems Babel was just such a case.

Also, I liked the music just fine and the out-take was great.
"I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star ... I am a big bright shining star."

love